Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN: Boise State Eyes TV rights
TigerTimmy Offline
Outsider

I Root For: Tigers & Titans
ESPN: Boise State Eyes TV rights
Boise State has approached multiple networks to gauge how much the Broncos could get if they retained their home television rights as a member of the Big East or MWC.

Such an arrangement is unheard of for a conference member. There are no schools in any FBS conference that retains its home television rights. Still, one industry source believes either the Big East or Mountain West will make an exception for Boise State because they are so desperate to have the Broncos.

"I think at least one conference will allow Boise State to do its own television deal, maybe both of them, for home games," the source said.

"Boise reminds me of the teenage recruit who is starting to believe he's the biggest star in town," a source said. "It might be a pretty big letdown when all is said and done. Actually the sentiment of 'who do they think they are' is starting to seep into conversations with folks across college football.

"Let's remember this isn't Alabama, or even Texas Tech, we're talking about. This sorry episode is starting to make it seem like Boise is one of the power assets in college football. In reality their value is relative to the conference they belong to."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/...ng-sources
12-22-2012 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
RE: ESPN: Boise State Eyes TV rights
yup. this is Bobby K's end game. They can go f themselves
12-22-2012 06:27 PM
maccoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
I believe this would be a deal breaker for Houston and SMU. If Boise were to retain there tv rights and Houston and SMU had to share in the general deal with the others, I don't see them agreeing to leave the Big East for that situation.
12-22-2012 06:32 PM
monty Offline

(12-22-2012 06:32 PM)maccoog Wrote:  I believe this would be a deal breaker for Houston and SMU. If Boise were to retain there tv rights and Houston and SMU had to share in the general deal with the others, I don't see them agreeing to leave the Big East for that situation.

Obviously SDSU isn't falling for that **** - letting BYU and BOise get their own deal and provide wellfare for WYO. Bobby K is overplaying his hand.
12-22-2012 06:36 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Boise has to walk a fine line. BYU was trying some of the same stuff, and lost all takers.
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If that's the case the MWC can have them.
Advertisement

BayareaCards Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UL SU
Boise style business, eh. I almost hate see them on the field anymore.
I hope my Cards do not have to play against merchant of Venice.
12-22-2012 06:37 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
I'm gonna be real honest here, if this is Boise's end game then I'd just let them leave. They aren't going to make the MWC that much money without their home TV rights in the MWC TV deal, and won't make the Big East much money either under those circumstances.
12-22-2012 06:37 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Somebody will eventually bite on giving Boise their own TV deal like BYU. I wouldn't be shocked if they just said F everybody and went Indy. Plenty of folks out west are willing to play them every season, including BYU. They've built a legitimate brand and frankly, I'm pretty jealous. They've made all the right moves except building a proper stadium over the years. This is their end game.

To be honest this could be the first step towards ALL schools retaining their rights. Kind of like the court case that allowed conferences to retain their rights instead of the entire NCAA.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2012 06:41 PM by blunderbuss.)
12-22-2012 06:39 PM
mwp1023 Offline
Special Teams

(12-22-2012 06:36 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  Boise has to walk a fine line. BYU was trying some of the same stuff, and lost all takers.

I would bet that the MWC is desperate enough to allow this horse crap. I doubt the BE schools would go for it.

If that's what they want I wish them well in the MWC.
12-22-2012 06:40 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Wow that was a scathing article. Boise made a commitment to the Big East and now they are shopping themselves around. I respect SDSU BIG TIME by not waivering on the commitment that they made. I would love for SDSU to come to the BE whatever Boise does.
12-22-2012 06:40 PM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

Maybe the MWC wants to bend over for them. Bye Boise.
12-22-2012 06:42 PM
SleepingGiantsFan Offline
1st String

If the BE lures Fresno and UNLV and thereby keeps SDSU in the fold, the MWC Boise would remain a member of would be next to worthless.
12-22-2012 06:42 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I agree bulls, except it isn't a sure deal we could get them any travel partners if the MWC wins this one. If the rumors are true, Boise may out play its hand. They are not a Oh state, Tex, Olk, or UF.
12-22-2012 06:43 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
I honestly don't get what this would do for the MWC though. It doesn't make any sense. If Boise were allowed a BYU type of deal how the hell does that benefit the rest of the league?
12-22-2012 06:44 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

(12-22-2012 06:44 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  I honestly don't get what this would do for the MWC though. It doesn't make any sense. If Boise were allowed a BYU type of deal how the hell does that benefit the rest of the league?

I don't either. The big idea for the MWC to make more money was that they got the ability to sell off some of their games that CBS didn't choose to increase the value, but if Boise keep their home games you can bet CBS would pick any of the valuable road games and they would gain pretty much nothing from them.
12-22-2012 06:46 PM
Advertisement

billings Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wyo / Mont St.
(12-22-2012 06:36 PM)monty Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 06:32 PM)maccoog Wrote:  I believe this would be a deal breaker for Houston and SMU. If Boise were to retain there tv rights and Houston and SMU had to share in the general deal with the others, I don't see them agreeing to leave the Big East for that situation.

Obviously SDSU isn't falling for that **** - letting BYU and BOise get their own deal and provide wellfare for WYO. Bobby K is overplaying his hand.

you just now figuring out that Boise is all about boise and none else? sad part is your school is hitched to them. It is boise who decides where SDSU ends up. if Boise does not go MWC then we invite Tulsa and Utep and life goes on. MWC will give them the same deal they give all schools. CBS is only taking 5 MWC games and the rest go on the markert Point is that right now Boise can make more money then most of the other MWC teams. Things change over time though
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2012 06:50 PM by billings.)
12-22-2012 06:47 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(12-22-2012 06:43 PM)Time4Reason Wrote:  Any arrangement where there isn't an equal revenue share is a disaster waiting to happen. This is how all the conference realignment crap got started in the first place with the Longhorn Network. If people make money on their third-tier rights, that's fine, but if Boise wants home rights they should just go indy.

Good point.

Of course Boise State can "ask"...doesn't mean they will get it.
billetingman1 Offline
1st String

(12-22-2012 06:36 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  If that's the case the MWC can have them.

I agree! Houston isn't going west unless something major happens. Boise St. and SDSU is not enough to send them west.
maccoog Offline
1st String

(12-22-2012 06:44 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  I honestly don't get what this would do for the MWC though. It doesn't make any sense. If Boise were allowed a BYU type of deal how the hell does that benefit the rest of the league?

Boise would retain there home rights...the MW could sell their road game rights.
12-22-2012 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.