Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why not just start from scratch?
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Why not just start from scratch?
Call it the "American Conference", or "Alliance", or whatever. Scrap the Big East and MWC.

UConn
Temple
Navy
Cincinnati
ECU
Memphis
UCF
USF

Houston
SMU
BYU
Boise
SDSU
Fresno
UNLV
Air Force

This would be the "best of the rest", clearly the #6 conference. If we were starting from scratch, wouldn't we come up with something like this? There is strength in numbers. Why would any of these schools not join this group?
12-21-2012 10:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
RE: Why not just start from scratch?
nobody from MWC wants to hitch their wagon when they know UCONN & Cincy are jumping to leave ASAP
12-21-2012 10:57 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Boise St.
Would be nice but I think u can't kick people out.
12-21-2012 11:09 PM
UConn-SMU Offline

(12-21-2012 10:57 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  nobody from MWC wants to hitch their wagon when they know UCONN & Cincy are jumping to leave ASAP

With 16 schools, and an entirely separate western conference/division, UConn and Cincinnati would have very little impact on Boise or SDSU. Like someone else said, UMass & Southern Miss would step in.

This arrangement would be stronger than the MWC by itself. It would get a lot more national publicity. The MWC gets as much publicity as the Canadian Football League.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 11:11 PM by UConn-SMU.)
12-21-2012 11:10 PM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

(12-21-2012 11:10 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(12-21-2012 10:57 PM)techdawg88 Wrote:  nobody from MWC wants to hitch their wagon when they know UCONN & Cincy are jumping to leave ASAP

With 16 schools, and an entirely separate western conference/division, UConn and Cincinnati would have very little impact on Boise or SDSU. Like someone else said, UMass & Southern Miss would step in.

This arrangement would be stronger than the MWC by itself. It would get a lot more national publicity. The MWC gets as much publicity as the Canadian Football League.

This exact same thing could have been created without Tulane. And it's just because the numbers east west now have 1 2 many eastern teams. Shows me magic mike was not thinking about a full western division
12-21-2012 11:16 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
At some point in time maybe some of you will somehow understand. None of the west schools want to be tied to the east schools in a situation where the tv dollars can not make it worthwhile. You guys have wasted the better part of 2 years to come back to a point many of you have been saying it would end.

WE TOLD YA SO
12-21-2012 11:19 PM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline

(12-21-2012 11:19 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  At some point in time maybe some of you will somehow understand. None of the west schools want to be tied to the east schools in a situation where the tv dollars can not make it worthwhile. You guys have wasted the better part of 2 years to come back to a point many of you have been saying it would end.

WE TOLD YA SO

It would have worked fine if Rutgers and Louisville had stayed. It still might work out; nothing is final yet.

UConn better not end up in a conference with Southern Miss. If it does, I'll never donate to UConn again.
12-21-2012 11:59 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
what's wrong with being in a conference with USM?
12-22-2012 12:10 AM
AtlantaEagle Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-21-2012 11:59 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  UConn better not end up in a conference with Southern Miss. If it does, I'll never donate to UConn again.

I was actually thinking the same about UConn, their football is kind of weak.
12-22-2012 12:18 AM
maccoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston
(12-21-2012 11:59 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  
(12-21-2012 11:19 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  At some point in time maybe some of you will somehow understand. None of the west schools want to be tied to the east schools in a situation where the tv dollars can not make it worthwhile. You guys have wasted the better part of 2 years to come back to a point many of you have been saying it would end.

WE TOLD YA SO

It would have worked fine if Rutgers and Louisville had stayed. It still might work out; nothing is final yet.

UConn better not end up in a conference with Southern Miss. If it does, I'll never donate to UConn again.

Correct me if I'm wrong but UCONN, Cincinnati, USF, and Temple are the only voting members left so UCONN would have to vote USM in.
12-22-2012 12:22 AM
monty Offline

I Root For: SDSU
Because boise for some reason wants to hitch their wagon to a bunch of dead end schools in the mwc. Frankly, I don't understand why the hell they want anything to do with the MWC
12-22-2012 12:40 AM
Advertisement

UConn-SMU Offline

(12-22-2012 12:10 AM)blunderbuss Wrote:  what's wrong with being in a conference with USM?

USM is a fine school, etc. But UConn has more in common with schools like Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia, and Pitt than it does with USM.
12-22-2012 12:51 AM
Fangdog Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Fresno State
(12-22-2012 12:40 AM)monty Wrote:  Because boise for some reason wants to hitch their wagon to a bunch of dead end schools in the mwc. Frankly, I don't understand why the hell they want anything to do with the MWC

I have thought about that too. Unless Boise is able to negotiate their own TV deal where-by all their games are televised.
12-22-2012 12:57 AM
monty Offline

(12-22-2012 12:57 AM)Fangdog Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 12:40 AM)monty Wrote:  Because boise for some reason wants to hitch their wagon to a bunch of dead end schools in the mwc. Frankly, I don't understand why the hell they want anything to do with the MWC

I have thought about that too. Unless Boise is able to negotiate their own TV deal where-by all their games are televised.

Some unique dispensation has to be involved one would think, who knows.
12-22-2012 01:00 AM
Fangdog Offline
Water Engineer

(12-22-2012 01:00 AM)monty Wrote:  

I do know this much. Boise is very sensitive as to their isolated location. Exposure is huge for them. It especially effects their ability to recruit nationwide and retain coaches. The money is important as it always is, but exposure is money in Boise's case.
12-22-2012 01:06 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

Yup. UConn and Cinci have value, but nobody wants to hitch a wagon to someone who has made it clear they are leaving. That is surely part of the mental calculus involved in the Boise move.
12-22-2012 01:16 AM
Advertisement

monty Offline

(12-22-2012 01:06 AM)Fangdog Wrote:  

I do know this much. Boise is very sensitive as to their isolated location. Exposure is huge for them. It especially effects their ability to recruit nationwide and retain coaches. The money is important as it always is, but exposure is money in Boise's case.

and that certainty isn't cbs college and nbc cable. They must be getting something at home with ESPN
12-22-2012 01:22 AM
Fangdog Offline
Water Engineer

(12-22-2012 01:22 AM)monty Wrote:  

and that certainty isn't cbs college and nbc cable. They must be getting something at home with ESPN

That is my guess
12-22-2012 01:36 AM
monty Offline

(12-22-2012 01:36 AM)Fangdog Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 12:57 AM)Fangdog Wrote:  I have thought about that too. Unless Boise is able to negotiate their own TV deal where-by all their games are televised.

That is my guess

Boise seems to have 6.5 million in exit fees to pay to the big east and west, I'd guess they have a benefactor paying those as well
12-22-2012 01:42 AM
EDLUVAR Offline
1st String

(12-22-2012 01:42 AM)monty Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 01:36 AM)Fangdog Wrote:  
(12-22-2012 01:00 AM)monty Wrote:  Some unique dispensation has to be involved one would think, who knows.

That is my guess

Boise seems to have 6.5 million in exit fees to pay to the big east and west, I'd guess they have a benefactor paying those as well

I don't think so. Gotta think this was looked at with the buyout clauses really hope sdsu is with bsu wherever they end up tho
12-22-2012 01:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.