Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yet we seem to forget
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Yet we seem to forget
Brian Kelly was hired at CMU from GVSU (divII)... He had two great years at GVSU prior to joining the CMU program. His track record was dotted with many years above .500 and a couple low spots... but generally speaking he jumped a few rungs on the coaching ladder... Seems to have worked pretty well since then.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us grab a coach from a much lower bracket who has shown the kind of leadership, desire and coaching acumen to bring WMU to the MAC power we expect... Im not going to knee jerk react if this is in fact the case... Just stating that its not always a bad thing to search for coaches from much lower divisions.
12-14-2012 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
RE: Yet we seem to forget
We're desperate now.
12-14-2012 12:34 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2012 12:29 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  Brian Kelly was hired at CMU from GVSU (divII)... He had two great years at GVSU prior to joining the CMU program. His track record was dotted with many years above .500 and a couple low spots... but generally speaking he jumped a few rungs on the coaching ladder... Seems to have worked pretty well since then.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us grab a coach from a much lower bracket who has shown the kind of leadership, desire and coaching acumen to bring WMU to the MAC power we expect... Im not going to knee jerk react if this is in fact the case... Just stating that its not always a bad thing to search for coaches from much lower divisions.

I get that.

The difference between DIII and DII football is night and day though. And Kelly's success at GVSU was easily identifiable. If you are alluding to Lester...his success hasn't been nearly as great. Although, he seems to be on the right track.
12-14-2012 12:37 PM
Advertisement

DesertBronco Offline
Banned

(12-14-2012 12:29 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  Brian Kelly was hired at CMU from GVSU (divII)... He had two great years at GVSU prior to joining the CMU program. His track record was dotted with many years above .500 and a couple low spots... but generally speaking he jumped a few rungs on the coaching ladder... Seems to have worked pretty well since then.

Tomorrow is another day.....

[Image: tomorrow-is1.jpg]
12-14-2012 12:38 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2012 12:37 PM)EA3 Wrote:  

I get that.

The difference between DIII and DII football is night and day though. And Kelly's success at GVSU was easily identifiable. If you are alluding to Lester...his success hasn't been nearly as great. Although, he seems to be on the right track.

I am not alluding to Lester... In fact I think Div. II would be as far down the chain as I would go. I wouldn't mind bringing Lester along as an assistant though... ( that is if the coach that does catch on here feels the same way... ).
12-14-2012 12:39 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2012 12:39 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  
(12-14-2012 12:37 PM)EA3 Wrote:  

I get that.

I am not alluding to Lester... In fact I think Div. II would be as far down the chain as I would go. I wouldn't mind bringing Lester along as an assistant though... ( that is if the coach that does catch on here feels the same way... ).

Agreed....on all counts.

Interesting enough...one of the candidates that Kimbo mentioned, and I place on the voting thread was Curt Cignetti, coach of IUP in DII. Coached under Saban at Alabama and has midwest ties.

http://www.iupathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=169
12-14-2012 12:42 PM
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
I would be delighted if the right guy came from a consistently excellent D3 program. Didn't Jerry Kill do the same thing, going from Saginaw Valley to NIU?

I think some of you make a bigger deal out of the distinction between D2 and D3 than what it deserves. I realize the kids are bigger and faster, but as far as head coaching criteria, the football X & O's, and the administrative aspects of the job would be very similar. If a guy has established himself as a tireless worker, conscientious and committed to excellence, and has proven himself as a quality coach in terms of record on and off the field, but came from a D3 school, that would not dissuade me from pursuing him at all. D3 football is good football, and in many respects those schools are similar to MAC schools in that they are primarily academic institutions that truly "budget" in terms of funding athletics.

In fact, I might begin my search at the D3 level.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2012 01:56 PM by brovol.)
12-14-2012 01:54 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2012 01:54 PM)brovol Wrote:  I would be delighted if the right guy came from a consistently excellent D3 program. Didn't Jerry Kill do the same thing, going from Saginaw Valley to NIU?

I think some of you make a bigger deal out of the distinction between D2 and D3 than what it deserves. I realize the kids are bigger and faster, but as far as head coaching criteria, the football X & O's, and the administrative aspects of the job would be very similar. If a guy has established himself as a tireless worker, conscientious and committed to excellence, and has proven himself as a quality coach in terms of record on and off the field, but came from a D3 school, that would not dissuade me from pursuing him at all. D3 football is good football, and in many respects those schools are similar to MAC schools in that they are primarily academic institutions that truly "budget" in terms of funding athletics.

Saginaw Valley is DII...same conference as Grand Valley.

While I agree with the qualities that mentioned. I'm not sure you can compare DIII to what is required as a HC in FBS. Not saying it can't be done...just saying it's a whole different scenerio.
12-14-2012 01:58 PM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Kill made a pit stop at Emporia KS State before going to SIU, then NIU.

Just for clarification, Grand Valley and Saginaw Valley are both D-2.

The biggest differences between D-3 and upper levels are recruiting-managing scholarships (no scholarships in D-3), and amount of time head coach must spend on public relations - more media and speaking engagements.

Also Spring Football much more limited in D-3 than others.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2012 02:22 PM by MajorHoople.)
12-14-2012 02:01 PM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
(12-14-2012 01:58 PM)EA3 Wrote:  
(12-14-2012 01:54 PM)brovol Wrote:  I would be delighted if the right guy came from a consistently excellent D3 program. Didn't Jerry Kill do the same thing, going from Saginaw Valley to NIU?

Saginaw Valley is DII...same conference as Grand Valley.

While I agree with the qualities that mentioned. I'm not sure you can compare DIII to what is required as a HC in FBS. Not saying it can't be done...just saying it's a whole different scenerio.

My bad. I stand corrected. I actually meant D2 then when I said D3. I keep forgetting that D2 is actually two levels below us, and that there is D1AA in between.

I meant what I said, but didn't really need to say it as I was already agreeing with what you all were saying.

I wish I could blame it on medication, but I am not on any. Perhaps I should be. (I hope I didn't send anyone to jail today by mistake. Oh well . . . ). Onward and upward.
12-14-2012 02:06 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I hope you're home in bed today.
12-14-2012 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.