Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Spack not interested...
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
Spack not interested...
http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...ach_1.html

KB and Dunn might be in a world of hurt...
12-13-2012 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
RE: Spack not interested...
Article seems to suggest we never contacted him. He's "baffled" as to where the rumors came from.

This raises a problem for wmu and the rest of the Mac. Normally a guy like Spack would've taken a job in our conference in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I think these guys are looking at their current pay vs Mac pay vs sun belt pay....and concluding that they might be better off waiting until the latter comes calling. The gap between fcs and Mac programs isn't wide enough right now.
12-13-2012 09:12 PM
Liam9903 Offline
Field Marshal

I Root For: WesternMichigan
(12-13-2012 09:05 PM)jubbasubba Wrote:  http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2...ach_1.html

KB and Dunn might be in a world of hurt...

We'll be right there with em
12-13-2012 10:26 PM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

12-13-2012 10:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thegeneral Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU, OU
Saying you haven't accepted a job is VERY different than saying you aren't interested in a job.

Saying you're not interested in a job you're planning on taking makes zero sense.
12-13-2012 10:51 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

Granted I haven't read all the posts on the board. But somewhere in another thread, it was mentioned that there was an ugly legal battle between the administration and Cubit over his buy-out clause, and the news made waves around the coaching community (evidently turning Chuck Martin off).

Is there any media source - even a blog or coaching search site - that offers any details about this? If I'm a sports reporter, it'd seem like a pretty juicy scoop to jump on. And WMU is a publicly funded university, obviously, so asking journalistic questions about financial wrangling and salary disputes is certainly not off-limits. If other coaches at different schools have gotten a whiff about this, then the story is "out there."
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2012 07:52 AM by Motown Bronco.)
12-14-2012 07:50 AM
Advertisement

Windycitybronco Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU!
It's pretty bad when FCS coaches are publicly shunning the chance to coach at the FBS level. Is this job that bad? Even coordinators at BCS schools are turning down the opportunity. Hell, La.Tech got Holtz!!! WKU got Petrino!!!! Are we not on par with these universities? WTF happened to Bronco football? Embarrassing is an understatement.
12-14-2012 08:27 AM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

(12-13-2012 10:51 PM)thegeneral Wrote:  Saying you haven't accepted a job is VERY different than saying you aren't interested in a job.

Saying you're not interested in a job you're planning on taking makes zero sense.

Not trying to 05-stirthepot

BUT, I don't see anywhere in there where it says Spack is "not interested in WMU."

We've been hearing conflicting reports lately about that.

What have others heard?
12-14-2012 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brovol Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/ARMY
I wonder if that Bill Cubit guy could be talked into taking the job. He had a pretty good run in the MAC for a few years. I understand he runs a clean program, has an open style offense (which I like), has put several kids in the NFL, and has good connections in Florida (a hotbed for talent). I don't know if we could afford him, but if he is still available, he sounds perfect.
12-14-2012 08:36 AM
Windycitybronco Offline
Special Teams

other then the title of the article.....

and there is this....

"I don't see that happening," Spack told the Pantagraph. "I don't know where that's coming from. It seems to be a very popular thing out there right now. I've been on the road recruiting for ISU and I'm very happy here. I'm committed to this program right now. I haven't been in on any other jobs. I'm not going to do that."

So when he says he is "not going to do that" is he setting himself up as a blatant liar? Not saying it has never happened before. Just seems like an extreme negative response for a potential hire. Uually they are a little more vague.
12-14-2012 08:36 AM
brovol Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2012 08:36 AM)brovol Wrote:  I wonder if that Bill Cubit guy could be talked into taking the job. He had a pretty good run in the MAC for a few years. I understand he runs a clean program, has an open style offense (which I like), has put several kids in the NFL, and has good connections in Florida (a hotbed for talent). I don't know if we could afford him, but if he is still available, he sounds perfect.

No. On second thought, a guy with a resume like that would never take the job. Just a pipe dream.
12-14-2012 08:37 AM
Advertisement

jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
Persky- that also confused me about the mlive article. The only spot it said he wasnt interested was the title. And that was even a direct quote.
12-14-2012 08:38 AM
Windycitybronco Offline
Special Teams

This is the proverbial monkey effing the football right now. Never seen an administration soil a bed so badly. Count me in as one who thought Cubit needed to go, but I had no idea we would run a search with people who were so blatantly underqualified. They need to hire a firm. Are the finances at WMU so bad that we cant get a hire comensurate with our standing in college football? Believe me, when I say that, I am not talking about some super star here, but a top D-1aa coach jumping at the opportunity should at least be realistic.
12-14-2012 08:42 AM
BrianPersky Offline
Banned

(12-14-2012 08:36 AM)Windycitybronco Wrote:  other then the title of the article.....

I get what you're saying but I guess the point that I was trying to make is that the title of the article maybe jumps to a conclusion?

(nothing against David - we have privately chatted about this already and we have our own opinions).

Just trying to play devil's advocate for a second here. And like you said, it wouldn't be the first time a coach has denied rumors and turned back on his word days later. Not saying he's WMU's guy, but I'm not ready to eliminate his name from the search quite yet.
12-14-2012 08:46 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(12-14-2012 08:36 AM)brovol Wrote:  I wonder if that Bill Cubit guy could be talked into taking the job. He had a pretty good run in the MAC for a few years. I understand he runs a clean program, has an open style offense (which I like), has put several kids in the NFL, and has good connections in Florida (a hotbed for talent). I don't know if we could afford him, but if he is still available, he sounds perfect.

Yes and the '50s were all Ozzie and Harriet, Ward, June and the Beav too.

No need to rehash why Cubit's termination was justified. A new coach is called for.

Rear view mirror - move on brovol.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2012 08:58 AM by MajorHoople.)
12-14-2012 08:46 AM
moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

Some coaches say they're not interested just in case they don't end up getting the job (to protect relationships with current players and potential recruits), and others say it and mean it. Which group Spack is in is anyone's guess.
12-14-2012 08:54 AM
Advertisement

brovol Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2012 08:46 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  

Yes and the '50s were all Ozzie and Harriet, Ward, June and the Beav too.

No need to rehash why Cubit's termination was justified. A new coach is called for.

Rear view mirror - move on brovol.

Actually, after our last game I would have joined the Cubit lynch mob myself; so I'm not truly being critical of the decision to fire him. I am just kind of poking fun at the situation, and of our collective "grass is always greener" attitude. I just cant control myself sometimes.

It is a strange line of business to be in though. So many factors beyond your own talents and work ethic can dictate your future. On year you get the breaks, the next year you don't. Sure, the errors you make have a huge impact on those breaks; but at a mid-major, and particularly the MAC, the margin of error is far less than some other places.

If I were an AD from another school, I would certainly consider hiring Cubit.
12-14-2012 09:23 AM
fbgab Offline
Special Teams

I can tell you that Spack is indeed interested in the job. However, it's my understanding that he was expecting to talked to after his season ended, and that it didn't occur. Shortly there after the Shafer situation took place. It's quite possible he has decided to just avoid the situation all together.
12-14-2012 09:24 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(12-14-2012 07:50 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Granted I haven't read all the posts on the board. But somewhere in another thread, it was mentioned that there was an ugly legal battle between the administration and Cubit over his buy-out clause, and the news made waves around the coaching community (evidently turning Chuck Martin off).

Is there any media source - even a blog or coaching search site - that offers any details about this? If I'm a sports reporter, it'd seem like a pretty juicy scoop to jump on. And WMU is a publicly funded university, obviously, so asking journalistic questions about financial wrangling and salary disputes is certainly not off-limits. If other coaches at different schools have gotten a whiff about this, then the story is "out there."

No source whatsoever...besides DB bringing it up 2-3 times in the last 4 weeks.
12-14-2012 09:44 AM
goldsworth Offline
1st String

For those in the know has Vegas offered any odds as to when WMU will name a head football coach????? HA HA not sure I would want to bet on that one about now.
12-14-2012 09:46 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.