UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB, city of Birmingham to partner to commemorate events of 1963
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
UAB, city of Birmingham to partner to commemorate events of 1963
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/12/uab_..._part.html

Bell said the work of civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Dr. Joseph Volker, UAB's first president, went hand in hand to move Birmingham forward from the dark days of Jim Crow.

Volker in the early 60s worked to desegregate the medical school, the dental school, the hospital, and the non-health science campus. King's work at that time helped make Birmingham more inviting to people who come here from around the world because of UAB's research facilities, Bell said.

"(Volker) realized we could not succeed unless all people succeeded together," Bell said. "This institution has brought people from around the world ... Without the work Dr. King did, that would not have been possible."

FOX6 WBRC-TV ‏@myfoxal
In 1963, UAB integrated w/out the threat of federal action. Ton @ 9 they share how they'll mark the momentous year in the Civil Rights era
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012 10:22 PM by WesternBlazer.)
12-06-2012 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB, city of Birmingham to partner to commemorate events of 1963
As a separate university in the U of AL System, UAB did not exist until 1969. Before that it was an UA extension center.
12-07-2012 12:27 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(12-06-2012 10:19 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/12/uab_..._part.html

Bell said the work of civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King, Jr. and Dr. Joseph Volker, UAB's first president, went hand in hand to move Birmingham forward from the dark days of Jim Crow.

Volker in the early 60s worked to desegregate the medical school, the dental school, the hospital, and the non-health science campus. King's work at that time helped make Birmingham more inviting to people who come here from around the world because of UAB's research facilities, Bell said.

"(Volker) realized we could not succeed unless all people succeeded together," Bell said. "This institution has brought people from around the world ... Without the work Dr. King did, that would not have been possible."

FOX6 WBRC-TV ‏@myfoxal
In 1963, UAB integrated w/out the threat of federal action. Ton @ 9 they share how they'll mark the momentous year in the Civil Rights era

Good stuff!
12-07-2012 07:37 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
As a stand-alone university, my alma mater has never been segregated. I'm proud of that. I'm particularly proud the governor didn't make an ass of himself in front of the world on our front porch.
12-07-2012 09:23 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Keep in mind that this decade has a couple of anniversaries at the end of it. In 2019 the state will be 200 years old (Dec. 14th) and UAB will be 50 years old. In 2021 (one year after we host the Olympics ;<)) B'ham will be 150 years old. We don't need the concurrence of any international committee to celebrate any of that.
12-07-2012 09:30 AM
Advertisement

GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
(12-07-2012 09:23 AM)Smaug Wrote:  As a stand-alone university, my alma mater has never been segregated. I'm proud of that. I'm particularly proud the governor didn't make an ass of himself in front of the world on our front porch.

04-bow04-bow
12-07-2012 09:59 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
Birmingham sure has come a long way from 1963. A former co-worker, now retired, was a fresh out of school bomb disposal tech at Ft. McClellan in 1963. He and his partner worked 48 hours on, sleeping on a cot in a garage with a telephone next to the bomb disposal truck, then 5 days off and on call when they were at home, but still having to keep up with their regular duty. Every call was a bomb threat, and for several years he cringed when the phone rang.
12-07-2012 10:35 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
(12-07-2012 09:23 AM)Smaug Wrote:  As a stand-alone university, my alma mater has never been segregated. I'm proud of that. I'm particularly proud the governor didn't make an ass of himself in front of the world on our front porch.

As a fan of UAB, I feel the same way.
12-07-2012 11:38 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award

Yes. This is the greatest reason I want to separate from the Tuscaloosa cesspool of racism and hate: I want no part of their "class" or "tradition" sullying our proud name.
12-07-2012 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.