UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Champlin: McGee invested in QB Austin Brown as he battles groin injury(Video @ #7)
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Exclamation Champlin: McGee invested in QB Austin Brown as he battles groin injury(Video @ #7)
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 02:37 PM by WesternBlazer.)
11-19-2012 02:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

I Root For: The Real GSU
RE: Champlin: McGee invested in QB Austin Brown as he battles groin injury
SMH
11-19-2012 02:22 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

I hope that GM's obvious singlemindedness doesnt ultimately become a major detriment as he continues to be educated by on the job training as a head coach.
11-19-2012 02:25 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

The fans are the true investors, and playing like that is not a good thing. That game, that trophy meant a great deal to Blazer fans, and McGee didn't realize it.
11-19-2012 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(11-19-2012 02:27 PM)ICB Wrote:  The fans are the true investors, and playing like that is not a good thing. That game, that trophy meant a great deal to Blazer fans, and McGee didn't realize it.

I bet he does today.
11-19-2012 02:33 PM
WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

Playing Brown or not had very little to do with what happened Saturday. Being a former QB I suspect he knows a thing or two about a QB's psyche. I think, though, that what HCGM was doing was understood and registered a couple of games ago and maybe JP should be playing.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 02:34 PM by WesternBlazer.)
11-19-2012 02:34 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Online
Hall of Famer

11-19-2012 02:37 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

(11-18-2012 10:18 PM)EATON-BLAZER Wrote:  
(11-18-2012 09:57 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  I'm not sure if it is a way for McGee to make room for another QB, by treating JP that way & hoping he leaves, or not.

If that is the case, then Bento could have finished out the game against Memphis.

As much as it sucks for those of us who knows that JP can produce, it still is ultimately the HC's call. He has been given 3 to 4 years to run things his way.
-------------------------------

“He has an injury that was bothering him today”

Coach knows that AB is hurt – but refuses to play any other QB – weird. You can only assume that AB is his future QB and he wants him to gain as much experience as possible. Otherwise, stubborn or not he would but Bento in (because we know JP doesn’t stand a chance).

I saw JP warming up early in the 4th quarter and it looked like he was going in but never did.

Anyway, according to some players AB’s injuries are worse than just an ankle. He evidently sustained an abdominal and hip injury in the Tulane game that may require surgery. It clearly is affecting his mobility, accuracy and…

It looks as though it hurts for him to walk, geez.
11-19-2012 02:37 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Champlin:
I agree with ICB. That game on Saturday meant a lot to us, and it was disappointing to see it handled that way.
11-19-2012 03:25 PM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB_ASDD
(11-19-2012 02:34 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Playing Brown or not had very little to do with what happened Saturday. Being a former QB I suspect he knows a thing or two about a QB's psyche. I think, though, that what HCGM was doing was understood and registered a couple of games ago and maybe JP should be playing.

I believe that being a son of a successful coach, playing qb at a high level, and years of coaching qbs, qualifies Coach McGee to his job better than any of us can. It easy to sit in the stands and second guess game day decisions but the truth of the matter is Coach McGee see these guys everyday in practice and knows what it takes to get this team where he wants it to be. Sometimes you have to take steps backwards in order to progress forward. If AB is the qb of the future then he needs to go through these types of games, if experience is the best teacher, then what does pulling him teach him? As long as time are good, you are the man, but as soon as you struggle, you will get yanked? Is it better for him to learn these lessons now when we have a young and inexperienced team with no expectations or when the converse is true? I believe by the time this team is ready to be the type of team that we all can be proud of, AB needs to be battle tested and battle scares are a part of it. A rookie coach will make rookie mistakes but we aren't a fan base that has had enough success in football to tell a coach how to run his program. I don't believe any of us wants this team to win more than Coach McGee and I am willing to sacrifice a win now to get more wins later, its' part of the progression of a program.
11-19-2012 03:39 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

(11-19-2012 03:39 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 02:34 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  Playing Brown or not had very little to do with what happened Saturday. Being a former QB I suspect he knows a thing or two about a QB's psyche. I think, though, that what HCGM was doing was understood and registered a couple of games ago and maybe JP should be playing.

I believe that being a son of a successful coach, playing qb at a high level, and years of coaching qbs, qualifies Coach McGee to his job better than any of us can. It easy to sit in the stands and second guess game day decisions but the truth of the matter is Coach McGee see these guys everyday in practice and knows what it takes to get this team where he wants it to be. Sometimes you have to take steps backwards in order to progress forward. If AB is the qb of the future then he needs to go through these types of games, if experience is the best teacher, then what does pulling him teach him? As long as time are good, you are the man, but as soon as you struggle, you will get yanked? Is it better for him to learn these lessons now when we have a young and inexperienced team with no expectations or when the converse is true? I believe by the time this team is ready to be the type of team that we all can be proud of, AB needs to be battle tested and battle scares are a part of it. A rookie coach will make rookie mistakes but we aren't a fan base that has had enough success in football to tell a coach how to run his program. I don't believe any of us wants this team to win more than Coach McGee and I am willing to sacrifice a win now to get more wins later, its' part of the progression of a program.

Most fans on this board realize that Brown was kept in because McGee is building for the future. What we are also saying is there are a few games on the schedule that Today is Just As Important as the Future. Troy, Memphis & USM. He can play all freshman and sophomores Saturday and I couldn't care less.
11-19-2012 03:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Blazing Saddles Offline
All American

There is a fine line between grit and stupidity. Unfortunately this may be stupidity.
11-19-2012 03:45 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(11-19-2012 03:45 PM)Blazing Saddles Wrote:  There is a fine line between grit and stupidity. Unfortunately this may be stupidity.

+1
11-19-2012 03:46 PM
Uncle BLAZER Offline
Hired Gun

The kid is injured. This isn't about his play on the field and the "learning" thru good times and bad.
He has a serious injury (not his "groin" either). He barely walk.

What good does do for anyone to keep him out there?
11-19-2012 03:47 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-19-2012 03:39 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  we aren't a fan base that has had enough success in football to tell a coach how to run his program.

So, only fans of good teams get to *****?
11-19-2012 03:47 PM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(11-19-2012 03:43 PM)ICB Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 03:39 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  

Most fans on this board realize that Brown was kept in because McGee is building for the future. What we are also saying is there are a few games on the schedule that Today is Just As Important as the Future. Troy, Memphis & USM. He can play all freshman and sophomores Saturday and I couldn't care less.

I agree those games are important but I believe Coach McGee is trying to lay a solid foundation, one that is built on rock not sand. The Memphis and Troy games didn't go the way I would have liked either, only three have, but to a coach every game is as important as another.
11-19-2012 03:58 PM
Advertisement

UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(11-19-2012 03:47 PM)Smaug Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 03:39 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  we aren't a fan base that has had enough success in football to tell a coach how to run his program.

Yes, that is exactly what I said.
11-19-2012 04:01 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

RE:
Well, here's what. You saw what Memphis did. The put 7-8 in the box, stuffed the run, and dared Brown to beat them.

UCF is going to do the same thing, only their defense is good.

I'll defer to Coach McGee's wisdom (not that I have a choice) unless/until Austin Brown gets hurt badly for real. If that happens, McGee will have some tall explaining to do.
11-19-2012 04:03 PM
UAB?IAB Offline
Banned

(11-19-2012 03:47 PM)Uncle BLAZER Wrote:  The kid is injured. This isn't about his play on the field and the "learning" thru good times and bad.
He has a serious injury (not his "groin" either). He barely walk.

What good does do for anyone to keep him out there?

So the coaches are ignoring the advice of doctors and trainers and is putting this kids health at risk? If so, then I agree he shouldn't be playing and Coach McGee needs to be reprimanded.
11-19-2012 04:03 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(11-19-2012 04:01 PM)UAB?IAB Wrote:  
(11-19-2012 03:47 PM)Smaug Wrote:  

Yes, that is exactly what I said.

So, some simp with a 4th grade education somewhere in Green County can wonder aloud why Little Nicky didn't try to run the ball against A&M, but we can't call out our coach?

Were we wrong in questioning Callaway, as well? After all, we were fans of a bad football team then, too.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2012 04:10 PM by Smaug.)
11-19-2012 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.