La.-Monroe vs. Ball State - New Orleans

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...redictions
10-28-2012 08:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tyler90wm Offline
Blue Raider

I Root For: MT
RE: CBS Bowl Predictions (Oct 28)
That would be a great match-up between WKU and Toledo, but it would suck to be in Detroit.

BTW, if this did happen, it would be a SBC vs MAC bowl season...
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 08:12 PM by tyler90wm.)
10-28-2012 08:09 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
(10-28-2012 08:09 PM)tyler90wm Wrote:  That would be a great match-up between WKU and Toledo, but it would suck to be in Detroit.

BTW, if this did happen, it would be a SBC vs MAC bowl season...

Not very many WKU fans could make that trip including myself.
10-28-2012 08:22 PM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
That's BS. How many bowl games has Western been to? If you all don't show up that's piss poor. That's rhetorical of course. Not only will this be you're first opportunity, you're the closest Belt team to Detroit and would be playing a team that you're closer to than anyone else in the conference whether it's Toledo, NIU, Ohio or whoever. No reason for you guys not to trump the number of tickets we sold and travel more than we did.

We sold over 2500 tickets and traveled about 2000 (the rest were donated to area charities). Wherever you guys go step up.
10-28-2012 08:46 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I hope to make it to Detroit if we are indeed playing in that bowl...I have a gut feeling if we do end up bowling that it will be in Detroit..Sucks being the day after Christmas and having to take off two days, but the pros is that its only a 5 hr drive from Lexington and I would love to see Ford Field...
10-28-2012 09:33 PM
Advertisement

WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(10-28-2012 08:46 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  That's BS. How many bowl games has Western been to? If you all don't show up that's piss poor. That's rhetorical of course. Not only will this be you're first opportunity, you're the closest Belt team to Detroit and would be playing a team that you're closer to than anyone else in the conference whether it's Toledo, NIU, Ohio or whoever. No reason for you guys not to trump the number of tickets we sold and travel more than we did.

We sold over 2500 tickets and traveled about 2000 (the rest were donated to area charities). Wherever you guys go step up.

I don't think anyone from WKU is saying that a couple thousand WKU fans wouldn't show up in Detroit. I think they're admitting that they'd rather attend a bowl where there would be 10-20,000 WKU fans...such as in Birmingham, New Orleans, Mobile, Memphis, etc....better climate, better date, more alumni, etc...
10-28-2012 09:48 PM
wkuhilltopperfan Offline
Heisman

I can spend Xmas with my family that I only get to see a few times a year or skip xmas and drive to a city I never want to go to. I love WKU but I also love my family more
10-28-2012 09:53 PM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-28-2012 09:53 PM)wkuhilltopperfan Wrote:  I can spend Xmas with my family that I only get to see a few times a year or skip xmas and drive to a city I never want to go to. I love WKU but I also love my family more

I really want to be present at WKU's first modern bowl but yea leaving on Christmas night would be tough..So I guess alternative is leaving really early on Wed. the 26th....But who knows? Learning about this process was a mess last season, just hope we are not sitting around cheering for 15 different scenarios to go bowling like we did last season..For more veterans at this, are these bowl predictions semi accurate or they just a guess in the wild that never materialize or way off?...And who knows maybe the compass bowl will remember our campaign last season...I would love to be in Birmingham and we would bring several fans there...I am sure we would have a lot of fan to Mobile as well, New Orleans I would say is out unless Monroe just collapses down the stretch...
10-28-2012 09:58 PM
Jacque Offline
Special Teams

(10-28-2012 08:46 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  That's BS. How many bowl games has Western been to? If you all don't show up that's piss poor. That's rhetorical of course. Not only will this be you're first opportunity, you're the closest Belt team to Detroit and would be playing a team that you're closer to than anyone else in the conference whether it's Toledo, NIU, Ohio or whoever. No reason for you guys not to trump the number of tickets we sold and travel more than we did.

I would do everything that I can to make it to the bowl game no matter where it is. However, the thing that makes it so aggravating to me (and I am sure other WKU fans as well) is that if WKU wins out, they will be no worse than second in the conference but will end up in what is the lease attractive of the five bowls listed. For WKU it appears the only way to get a better bowl than ULL, ULM, Troy and Ark St is to win the championship outright. I know that that should be and is the goal every year anyway, but it appears that because of location and history it is definitely not a level playing field. Some teams merely have to win 6-7 games to get a prime Southern bowl, while WKU basically must go 12-0.
10-29-2012 09:16 AM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(10-29-2012 09:16 AM)Jacque Wrote:  

I would do everything that I can to make it to the bowl game no matter where it is. However, the thing that makes it so aggravating to me (and I am sure other WKU fans as well) is that if WKU wins out, they will be no worse than second in the conference but will end up in what is the lease attractive of the five bowls listed. For WKU it appears the only way to get a better bowl than ULL, ULM, Troy and Ark St is to win the championship outright. I know that that should be and is the goal every year anyway, but it appears that because of location and history it is definitely not a level playing field. Some teams merely have to win 6-7 games to get a prime Southern bowl, while WKU basically must go 12-0.

Troy's going to be bowling? That's news to me. Western fans should be cheering pretty hard against the Cajuns and Trojans. They still probably won't get the Godaddy bowl, but you never know.

At the end of the day, MT and WKU are the two schools that could possibly jump given the CUSA rumblings over the past few months. I don't think the conference wants to give the two schools any more reasons to jump ship, so I think both could end up in a nice situation this bowl season, meaning both bowl and no Detroit for either school. I know things like that in theory shouldn't matter, but I could see that having an effect of some kind.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 09:51 AM by MTowho.)
10-29-2012 09:45 AM
Advertisement

Jacque Offline
Special Teams

(10-29-2012 09:45 AM)MTowho Wrote:  

Troy's going to be bowling? That's news to me. Western fans should be cheering pretty hard against the Cajuns and Trojans. They still probably won't get the Godaddy bowl, but you never know.

At the end of the day, MT and WKU are the two schools that could possibly jump given the CUSA rumblings over the past few months. I don't think the conference wants to give the two schools any more reasons to jump ship, so I think both could end up in a nice situation this bowl season, meaning both bowl and no Detroit for either school. I know things like that in theory shouldn't matter, but I could see that having an effect of some kind.
10-29-2012 10:06 AM
Jacque Offline
Special Teams

I wasn't speaking of Troy this year. I meant that in any given year that WKU will be behind any of those teams that are eligible regardless of how well WKU does on the field.
I know that it is all about money these days, but I like the old days when bowls were a reward for on field performance not home attendance, TV markets and other statistical analyses.
I just think that a 10-2 team should get better treatment than a 7-5 team. Call me crazy.
10-29-2012 10:11 AM
MTowho Offline
1st String

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(10-29-2012 10:11 AM)Jacque Wrote:  I wasn't speaking of Troy this year. I meant that in any given year that WKU will be behind any of those teams that are eligible regardless of how well WKU does on the field.
I know that it is all about money these days, but I like the old days when bowls were a reward for on field performance not home attendance, TV markets and other statistical analyses.
I just think that a 10-2 team should get better treatment than a 7-5 team. Call me crazy.

I agree. But Troy's success and bowl streak has come to a screeching halt. Like 'beed said in another thread - they got their mustaches when they were in 6th grade, but now we're all grown up.
10-29-2012 10:14 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I am sympathetic to WKU's plight but only because we've all seen this $h!t before.

I have friends who played for the unbeaten, untied, uninvited squad at ASU.

9-2 Central Florida got passed as did a 9-2 La.Tech (for some reason Shreveport thought they might sell tickets and draw a TV crowd for Notre Dame vs. LSU).
8-3 co-champ MTSU, got passed over and missed their chance when La.Tech wouldn't agree to a swap that would have sent La.Tech to New Orleans and MTSU to Boise to play the Broncos.
8-4 Troy got passed over as co-champions. That literally came down to a botched BCS deal. The Orange and Fiesta wanted to swap teams came out and announced the deal and the commissioners said "You can't". If they had understood that going in, Fiesta would have taken Arizona State opening up the Ft. Worth Bowl knocking TCU out of a bowl because they weren't going to have AFA and TCU play twice in the same season on the same field.
6-6 Arkansas State and Louisiana got passed over because La.Tech reportedly threatened to pull out of the I-Bowl because they wouldn't play a Sun Belt but at least one Tech official has stated privately that wasn't true, the threat only applied to Louisiana.

In 2010 FIU won the league tie-breaker and got shipped to Detroit while co-champ Troy went to New Orleans and 3rd place MTSU went to Mobile.
That same year 8-4 Temple stayed home while two other 8-4 MAC teams went bowling and one team they beat in non-conference, UConn went to the BCS. Temple became the first above .500 to be passed over for a .500 at-large team.

Most everyone has a story.

This is how the bowls work. New Orleans wanted no part of Arkansas State in 2011 because we didn't sell well in Lafayette in 2005 so we ended up in Mobile and promptly sold around 10,000 tickets which would be the record for any Sun Belt appearance in a bowl by a wide margin but for the fact Louisiana went to New Orleans and blew the record book up.

The bowl people have as their first concern selling tickets and making local hotels, restaurants and bars happy. They aren't people inclined to make a pick based on speculation when there are real numbers available from other schools.

If they can't have someone who fills the bill on keeping the locals happy, then they want someone who will keep TV happy. Based on the default market theory, FAU goes to Detroit in 2008 and Arkansas State and Louisiana watch TV.

Last year WKU fans asked to commit to buying bowl tickets committed to fewer tickets than ASU, UL, and FAU fans and I've heard the claim that a few bowl committees received faxed copies of articles about some deep discount promotions WKU had done from schools in the MAC.

It's not an on-the-field merit system unless you do well enough to qualify for a BCS buster spot or win the league heads-up or via tie-breaker and never has been.
10-29-2012 10:24 AM
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee

It has more to do with the match-ups and ticket sales. ULM in NOB is a no brainer. GoDaddy is still an option for Western. They may decide to pass on the closest option to get you but that really depends on their confidence in how you will travel. They have no history to go by so that's the catch. As for Detroit, they don't want you guys. They want their Big Ten team. With that said, they're going to want to pick who they feel will sell the most amount of tickets given the Big Ten won't fill it again. Proximity to the MAC, Detroit and what you guys have accomplished this year make you the most attractive option (especially after getting stuck with the two Florida schools over the past few years).

By way, as for the travel flying up the day of the game is exactly what I did. I stayed for one night and flew back to DC on the 27th. It was worth it. If that's where you all end up I think you can make the most out of your family time and make it for an over-nighter.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 11:46 AM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
10-29-2012 11:45 AM
Advertisement

WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
(10-29-2012 10:24 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Last year WKU fans asked to commit to buying bowl tickets committed to fewer tickets than ASU, UL, and FAU fans and I've heard the claim that a few bowl committees received faxed copies of articles about some deep discount promotions WKU had done from schools in the MAC.

The difficulty for WKU last year in getting fans to commit to buying Bowl tickets early was because we didn't get Bowl eligible until the second to last game of the year, whereas others became Bowl eligible much earlier, 3-5 weeks earlier.
10-29-2012 11:55 AM
HILTOPWKU Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: wku
Go Daddy Bowl, here we come.
02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
3 days in Gulf Shores.
02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
10-29-2012 11:55 AM
WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2012 11:45 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  

It has more to do with the match-ups and ticket sales. ULM in NOB is a no brainer. GoDaddy is still an option for Western. They may decide to pass on the closest option to get you but that really depends on their confidence in how you will travel. They have no history to go by so that's the catch. As for Detroit, they don't want you guys. They want their Big Ten team. With that said, they're going to want to pick who they feel will sell the most amount of tickets given the Big Ten won't fill it again. Proximity to the MAC, Detroit and what you guys have accomplished this year make you the most attractive option (especially after getting stuck with the two Florida schools over the past few years).

By way, as for the travel flying up the day of the game is exactly what I did. I stayed for one night and flew back to DC on the 27th. It was worth it. If that's where you all end up I think you can make the most out of your family time and make it for an over-nighter.

I would just drive up and leave early that morning and hopefully get there by 4 or 5 then stay the night and leave next day...I just hope if this is the case we would not be traveling in a snowstorm to get there..If the weather is descent I think we could at least get 3 or 4k to make the trip...I am sure that would be quardruple to what the Florida schools brought...I guess my top choice would be Biringham, Nashville or Memphis but that does not look likely..So I guess I will hope for Mobile first and Detroit second....Would rather travel to Detroit than get shipped to Hawaii or New Mexico, as much as I would like to go to those two locations no way I could afford to go to either one of those locations, haha...Of course all of this hinges if we even make a bowl game....
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2012 12:02 PM by WKUFan518.)
10-29-2012 11:58 AM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Why are all of our bowl games against the MAC, not one against the MWC, WAC or the C-USA..... Much less a BCS conference. We've got to and should be able to get a tie in with the BE and all the other non-BCS conferences.
10-29-2012 05:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.