Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Visiting Troy
Bookmark and Share
rdr5165 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
Visiting Troy
Hey Troy fans,

Thinking about making a road trip to Troy for the UL/Troy game. Need some opinions on where to stay, bars to go to, parking on gameday, tailgating, etc. Most of us are in our mid 20's. I know some people stay in Montgomery, but we plan on going have some drinks after the game, and I wanted to know if there are some college bars to go to around Troy.

Any others that have traveled to Troy, feel free to chime in!
08-23-2012 12:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: Visiting Troy
(08-23-2012 12:30 PM)rdr5165 Wrote:  Hey Troy fans,

Thinking about making a road trip to Troy for the UL/Troy game. Need some opinions on where to stay, bars to go to, parking on gameday, tailgating, etc. Most of us are in our mid 20's. I know some people stay in Montgomery, but we plan on going have some drinks after the game, and I wanted to know if there are some college bars to go to around Troy.

There are five bars in Troy: Cheers, The Double Branch, The Front Porch, The Alabama Tiki Bar, and 315. I think Cheers is less of a college bar, so I'm told. The most popular are the Porch and The Double Branch (The DB), though I'm a fan of the tiki bar (formerly portreros), it's gaining steam. Santa Fe Cattle Co. (steakhouse) has a large selection if you sit at the bar if your drink tastes are varied.

There are some surprisingly good places to eat in Troy:
Santa Fe (steakhouse)
Ruby Tuesday's (similar to a Chili's or Applebees)
Mikata (Japanese Showgun, high dollar, $18-30$ a plate)
The Golden Crane (Upscale Chinese/Japanese (by Troy standards anyway, its no PF Changs))
The Pines (Upscale downtown steakhouse)

There's other lesser dollar venues that are good like Tastees ($8 a plate, but you won't finish it for three days, tons of food). China Town is a take out chinese place. Best one I've ever eaten at. And Lee's China Buffet is also very very good.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 12:44 PM by TroyFootball05.)
08-23-2012 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I'm sorry, and I don't mean to pick on Troy, but I always get a kick out of seeing the likes of Ruby Tuesday's recommended, or ranked high on Trip Advisor for smaller cities. Haha.

We have a Mikato's down here as well. Kind of meh. I've found that the locally owned hibachi grills are almost always better.
08-23-2012 12:45 PM
OwlFamily Offline
FLORIDA ATLANTICS DEFENDER OF THE FAITH

I Root For: FLORIDA ATLANTIC
(08-23-2012 12:42 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Mikata (Japanese Showgun, high dollar, $18-30$ a plate)
The Golden Crane (Upscale Chinese/Japanese (by Troy standards anyway, its no PF Changs))

Does Ho know your cheating on him eating at those places?
08-23-2012 12:47 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(08-23-2012 12:47 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 12:42 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Mikata (Japanese Showgun, high dollar, $18-30$ a plate)

Does Ho know your cheating on him eating at those places?

Ho's is terrible. I never saw the draw to that place. They have two small food bars. That's it. And the food really isn't that great.

(08-23-2012 12:45 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  I'm sorry, and I don't mean to pick on Troy, but I always get a kick out of seeing the likes of Ruby Tuesday's recommended, or ranked high on Trip Advisor for smaller cities. Haha.

We have a Mikato's down here as well. Kind of meh. I've found that the locally owned hibachi grills are almost always better.

This Mikata's is very similar to the one we have in Dothan. It's very good to me, and way better than when we had a local "Hibachi Express." There was no comparison. Ruby Tuesday's isn't the greatest place, but it's better than Captian D's or Burger King, etc. Some people like it. I'm a big fan of their typhoon shrimp.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 12:51 PM by TroyFootball05.)
08-23-2012 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
If you are in Troy you gotta eat at Mr. Ho's and Crowes Chicken... Troy staples.

Mossy Grove and Half Shell are also pretty good bites.
08-23-2012 12:50 PM
Advertisement

Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY

Im picky as heck and theres only 3 hotels ill stay at in Troy...

1) Courtyard Marriott generally 120 a night
2) Hampton Inn 100 a night
3) Best Western 90 a night

Everything else is below my standards but my standards are high.

If you want bars go with what Troyfootball 05 says
08-23-2012 01:01 PM
rdr5165 Offline
Water Engineer

Appreciate the feedback!
08-23-2012 01:04 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-23-2012 01:04 PM)rdr5165 Wrote:  Appreciate the feedback!

Come by my tailgate...You welcome to some drinks and food!
08-23-2012 01:05 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(08-23-2012 12:45 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  I'm sorry, and I don't mean to pick on Troy, but I always get a kick out of seeing the likes of Ruby Tuesday's recommended, or ranked high on Trip Advisor for smaller cities. Haha.

Hey, Ruby Tuesday's was founded in Mobile.
08-23-2012 01:49 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(08-23-2012 01:49 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Ruby Tuesday was born out of a $10,000 endowment Sandy Beall had received from a friend and operator of several Pizza Huts to open his own restaurant. With that money, and another $10,000 put together with four of his University of Tennessee fraternity brothers, the first Ruby Tuesday restaurant was opened in 1972.[6][7] The location was adjacent to the University's Knoxville campus, and although the building still stands, the restaurant has since closed.
08-23-2012 02:40 PM
Advertisement

BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-23-2012 02:40 PM)CajunAmos Wrote:  

Ruby Tuesday was born out of a $10,000 endowment Sandy Beall had received from a friend and operator of several Pizza Huts to open his own restaurant. With that money, and another $10,000 put together with four of his University of Tennessee fraternity brothers, the first Ruby Tuesday restaurant was opened in 1972.[6][7] The location was adjacent to the University's Knoxville campus, and although the building still stands, the restaurant has since closed.

Whether it was or wasn't, it's still terrible. I'm not sure if we even have one left here. I know of at least 2 that have closed within the last 2 years.
08-23-2012 02:48 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

Sunday lunch at Sisters is worth the trip alone. Yanni's is open again and has good food. You can park in Charles Henderson High School's parking lot for $10 I think. Its just past the stadium on George Wallace.
08-23-2012 03:03 PM
Dedsquirrl Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(08-23-2012 02:48 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  

Whether it was or wasn't, it's still terrible. I'm not sure if we even have one left here. I know of at least 2 that have closed within the last 2 years.

Morrison's, which bought Ruby Tuesdays, was started in Mobile.
Piccadilly bought out Morrison's a while back.

I used to eat at Morrison's all the time.
When I was 13 and cruising the mall for chicks.02-13-banana
08-23-2012 03:04 PM
CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(08-23-2012 03:04 PM)Dedsquirrl Wrote:  
(08-23-2012 02:48 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  

Morrison's, which bought Ruby Tuesdays, was started in Mobile.
Piccadilly bought out Morrison's a while back.

I used to eat at Morrison's all the time.
When I was 13 and cruising the mall for chicks.02-13-banana

From Wikipedia

The company began as a single cafeteria opened in 1929 in Mobile, Alabama by J. A. Morrison. By 1950 the company had expanded to 17 locations, and steadily grew throughout the Southeast over the next two decades. After winning a contract to cater to the cast and crew of the film The Greatest Show on Earth, Morrison's branched out into catering contracts for schools, corporate dining facilities and hospitals.

An ill-fated attempt to diversify into non-dining businesses in the 1960s was reversed through sell-offs by new management in the early 1980s. In 1982, Morrison's acquired the 15-unit Ruby Tuesday chain, and used this acquisition as the launching pad for several other restaurants concepts such as L&N Seafood Grill, Silver Spoon Café, Mozzarella's and Tia's Tex-Mex. It also acquired three other food-contract firms. By the mid-1990s, the new restaurant concepts — particularly Ruby Tuesday — were doing far better than the original cafeteria chain. Because of this, Morrison's decided to split the company into three new firms: Morrison's Fresh Cooking, the cafeteria chain; Ruby Tuesday, Inc., which also included the other casual dining concepts; and Morrison Health Care, which took over the food contracts for hospitals (the educational and business contracts had been previously sold to a competitor).

In 1996, Morrison's Fresh Cooking — unable to withstand the loss in popularity of cafeterias in general — sold out to Piccadilly Cafeterias. A large number of the former Morrison's locations outside of Florida and Georgia have since been closed by Piccadilly.
08-23-2012 03:30 PM
TroyMan88 Offline
2nd String

Bar to go to...315. Old railroad station in downtown. Nice atmosphere. Front Porch is walking distance if you decide to make your rounds.
08-23-2012 03:38 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU

I stand corrected. Ruby Tuesday, was headquarted in Mobile for many years.
08-23-2012 03:38 PM
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-23-2012 03:38 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I stand corrected. Ruby Tuesday, was headquarted in Mobile for many years.

Huh, never knew any of that.
08-23-2012 04:48 PM
trojanblood Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

The Half Shell is another staple of Troy and TROY University. It is a big college hang out and has some great food. Cant go wrong there.
08-23-2012 06:01 PM
rdr5165 Offline
Water Engineer

(08-23-2012 01:05 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  

Come by my tailgate...You welcome to some drinks and food!

Might have to take you up on that. I'll send you a pm. 04-cheers
08-23-2012 08:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.