Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's in Storr?
dawgs gone wild Offline
1st String

I Root For:

First, hearty congrats for achieving a first by sweeping both mens and womens titles in same season - WOW!

I'm very interested to learn how UConn emerged in past decade from just one of many quality programs to becoming the best.

How much has the role of more money and better facilities in the past ten years played in this story? Does the state gov. financially support athletics at Uconn with tax dollars? How generous are alums? Many other universities have needed to eliminate programs especially "minor" sports or cut corners to pay bills.

Storr is a small town distant from many metro areas. What entertains students there on a daily basis beyond academics-of course? Is the Greek system about the only way to survive socially?

Aren't many bball and football games played at sites remote from campus? How long a ride is it to these sites or the nearest airport for arriving teams competing vrs U CONN.?
04-07-2004 02:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RUmojo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers

Whats in Storrs? Besides UConn not much. Their stadium is in Hartford, a little over an hour away from campus. The bball teams play alot of games in Hartford also. UConn has been serious about building a solid athletic program for a long time. It has definetly paid off.
04-08-2004 10:39 PM
BugsyCT Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

dgw - I can try to answer some of that.

Jim Calhoun has been the architect of UConn's success in recent years. Was hired in 1986 when UConn was a Big East bottom-feeder. In 1988 we won the NIT after several years of no post-season appearances at all. In 1990 UConn emerged as Big East Champs & BE tourney champs for the first time. This success, along with a brand-new basketball arena (Gampel Pavilion opened in Jan '90) mushroomed into the annual basketball power that UConn has become today. It it a great place for athletes to go to school.

The state of Connecticut does play a role in funding UConn through tax dollars, as well as donations from alumni. The "UConn 2000" project began in 1995 - it's a $1 billion dollar, 10 year development program that has enhanced & rebuilt UConn's main & regional campuses. The new football stadium (Rentschler Field) opened last year - a 40,000 seat stadium in East Hartford (about a 20-25 minute ride from campus) - it was a $93 million dollar project funded through state tax dollars.

As for the town of Storrs, the campus basically is the town itself. It's pretty isolated in the northeastern part of the state - very rural area. There are nearby bars & restaurants that students go to for socializing.

UConn plays some of its basketball games at the Hartford Civic Center - it's about a 30 minute ride from campus into downtown Hartford. The airport (Bradley Field) is in Windsor Locks - 15 miles north of Hartford and about a 25 minute ride from campus. (fortunately CT is a small state so it doesn't take long to get from place-to-place, barring traffic tie-ups)

Having lived in this state all my life (over 30 years) I can tell you that CT is rabid about UConn basketball (men & women's teams), and UConn football is rapidly gaining in popularity with their recent Division 1-A upgrade. More media follows UConn basketball than any university in the country.

With no major league sports teams in CT (Whalers flew the coop) plus no other major conference universities within state, UConn rules the roost in Connecticut.

Hope that answered most of your questions - peace! 04-cheers
04-10-2004 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.