Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If FSU stays
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
If FSU stays
Kind of interesting to think about what would happen in the ACC if FSU stays..

I think a few things-
1- I think without a doubt Swofford would be gone.
2- I think north/south conference pairings would become a reality.
3- Any chance of Louisville/UConn of getting in would be gone.

I think the Clemson AD saying the 80% mark for football- was a shot across the bow at UNC quite frankly...

It'll be interesting to see if UNC and others would accept these conditions..... I easily could see the answer to that being no.
05-29-2012 10:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: If FSU stays
(05-29-2012 10:02 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Kind of interesting to think about what would happen in the ACC if FSU stays..

If FSU stays, the I think everything remains stable with the ACC. If FSU goes, then that will unlock the floodgates.
05-29-2012 10:05 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

If FSU comes to the ACC with those conditions- my question is- does UNC for instance accept?
05-29-2012 10:12 AM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
GTS gets to have fun with some signatures...
05-29-2012 10:15 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
(05-29-2012 10:12 AM)stever20 Wrote:  If FSU comes to the ACC with those conditions- my question is- does UNC for instance accept?

I think they would be wise to consider revamping the divisions and scheduling system they have come up with if that's a big problem for FSU.

As for any kind of uneven distribution of money - no.
05-29-2012 10:16 AM
jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
Swofford needs to go anyhow. The Big 12 got rid of Beebe after their near collapse.
05-29-2012 10:17 AM
Advertisement

samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(05-29-2012 10:12 AM)stever20 Wrote:  If FSU comes to the ACC with those conditions- my question is- does UNC for instance accept?

What conditions? North South split? Not a big deal for UNC.
05-29-2012 10:24 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-29-2012 10:24 AM)samandrea Wrote:  

The getting rid of Swofford....
05-29-2012 10:27 AM
samandrea Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(05-29-2012 10:27 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(05-29-2012 10:24 AM)samandrea Wrote:  

The getting rid of Swofford....

Don't think it would be a problem. #1 goal is to keep ACC afloat, but they realize there are other options out there. I for one wouldn't mind UNC being proactive and leaving for the SEC now, but that won't happen.
05-29-2012 10:34 AM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
FSU needs the North South split to put the Ga Tech pairing every year. It doesn't affect the Miami game since that is a designated rival.

FSU would have at least four home games every that will sell out Doak.

Miami
Florida
Ga Tech
Clemson
North Carolina
North Carolina State
OOC - FBS (ex. Auburn, Alabama, Oklahoma)
05-29-2012 10:35 AM
Dub591 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SEC, ACC
FSU's strongest fan base in in the SE region - they go to B12 and they lose those fans for away games ... it's a guess - but I think FSU stays right where they are.
05-29-2012 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
FSU will have to go to the Big 12 as it appears that the ACC will be locked out of the new playoff format. The ACC has to get Notre Dame to halt that from happening.
05-29-2012 10:47 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
(05-29-2012 10:47 AM)FloridaJag Wrote:  FSU will have to go to the Big 12 as it appears that the ACC will be locked out of the new playoff format. The ACC has to get Notre Dame to halt that from happening.

This is nonsense.
05-29-2012 10:50 AM
WVMntneer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
If Clemson and FSU move to the Big 12, then future expansion to 16 is imminent. The Champions bowl and Rose Bowl now have the 4 major conferences locked into a "playoff system". If they want a 4 team playoff, its in place. If they want a 8 team playoff, which would suit Notre Dame, then another Conference affiliated game is necessary (ACC/Big East) and two atlarge teams. If that happens, the moves to 16 will be chaotic as everyone will be fighting to be part of the super conferences as well as TV dollars. Better teams, better money.
05-29-2012 10:52 AM
WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
1. Swofford is near retirement in any case. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires in the fall after the bowls are locked in, the play off format is finalized and Notre Dame makes it clear that they're remaining independent for the next decade.

2. The North/South split for divisions will have Miami in the North if they happen at all. Miami needs to play the Northern teams and the North needs a game in Florida for recruiting. The opposition to this split is Maryland, UVa and VT not Tobacco Road.

3. The ACC will not expand again without longshots Notre Dame or Penn State. UConn could get in if paired with Notre Dame.
05-29-2012 11:12 AM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(05-29-2012 10:52 AM)WVMntneer Wrote:  If Clemson and FSU move to the Big 12, then future expansion to 16 is imminent. The Champions bowl and Rose Bowl now have the 4 major conferences locked into a "playoff system". If they want a 4 team playoff, its in place. If they want a 8 team playoff, which would suit Notre Dame, then another Conference affiliated game is necessary (ACC/Big East) and two atlarge teams. If that happens, the moves to 16 will be chaotic as everyone will be fighting to be part of the super conferences as well as TV dollars. Better teams, better money.

maybe if fsu and clemson go to big 12 expansion could happen with the sec(even though the commish said 14 teams is hard enough to schedule i think thats him trying to save face with acc) or big 10(less likely unless nd joins) but pac 12 isnt expanding past 12 since they have no teams that would add anything of value to there contract.I personally dont think you will see the 16 team conferences for 4 or 5 years.If texas allows the big 12 to expand i doubt its more than to 12 teams.All this talk of the acc being left out is pure non sense at this time until the actual playoff format is announced or decided.
05-29-2012 11:16 AM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Ever since the ACC added Cuse and Pitt, I've thought this would be the best geographic setup:

Central
Clemson
Duke
NC State
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Virginia
Virginia Tech

North/South
Boston College
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

It seems to preserve the most rivalries.
05-29-2012 11:24 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(05-29-2012 10:44 AM)Dub591 Wrote:  FSU's strongest fan base in in the SE region - they go to B12 and they lose those fans for away games ... it's a guess - but I think FSU stays right where they are.

This and the post above yours ties together, I think. The biggest collection of FSU alumni outside the state of Florida is in Atlanta.

FSU plays at Georgia Tech about once a decade right now.
05-29-2012 11:25 AM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
i dont think they necessarily have to have a north south split to keep fsu and clemson in the acc.If you flipped maryland and georgia tech and did some tweaking to cross overs it could work.

so the divisions would be :
coastal: duke,unc,miami,maryland,virginia,va tech,pittsburgh
atlantic:wake,nc state,fsu,clemson,georgia tech,bc,syracuse

cross overs:
duke-wake forest
north carolina-nc state
miami -florida state
maryland-clemson
virginia-georgia tech
virginia tech -boston college
pittsburgh-syracuse

I personally dont care if its north south split or some other way to split up the divisions
05-29-2012 11:29 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(05-29-2012 11:24 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Ever since the ACC added Cuse and Pitt, I've thought this would be the best geographic setup:

Central
Clemson
Duke
NC State
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Virginia
Virginia Tech

North/South
Boston College
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

It seems to preserve the most rivalries.

It looks great for parity but I do not think this makes FSU feel any better about their situation. Yeah they got their close games but now they too become a Northeastern team located in Florida.
05-29-2012 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.