Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just started watching Battlestar Galactica
Bookmark and Share
BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Just started watching Battlestar Galactica
I remember seeing the show mentioned in the Falling Skies thread. I saw it's on Netflix, so I started watching a few weeks ago. I'm on episode 24. Adama just made up with the Prez, and the group on Kobol just found the tomb of Athena.

I really like the show so far, but at the same time, it pisses me off in certain aspects. They leave some plot holes so frackin wide open. It's one thing to watch a sci-fi show and suspend your disbelief, but it drives me nuts when they get lazy with story lines and plot holes, and don't bother filling them.

Like when Cylon Boomer steals the Raptor after Starbuck had just found the arrow. Cylon Boomer shows back up a few episodes later, and says, "I was scouting you" or something, and that's it. No explanation for why she just bailed, no explanation for what happened to the Raptor, and then she shows up in the new super duper Cylon ship? And they all fly out on that?

Helio's Cylon Boomer is an interesting story line, but it doesn't seem like they've developed it enough why 1) he can still "love" a machine after finding out about her and 2) why he would care so much for an alien baby when it's obvious that the Cylons are trying to figure out a way to reproduce.

And, isn't it obvious that the XO's wife is a Cylon, like they were first hinting at when she first came on board?

And the whole deal with Gauis and the blonde-chick-now-on-The-Firm is annoying! Momentary glimpses of clarity, then he's crazy, then he's a chosen one, then he's her baby daddy, then he's not, then it's that she didn't mean it was their child, it's Boomer and Helio's, then an episode later it's back to their child, then he's crazy again . . . I get that he's supposed to be conflicted, and that the mystery around the two of them is supposed to be part of the story line, but dang.

This was the only place that I know of to post about this, hahaha. What did you guys think of the series? I got 50 more episodes to go, and I'm debating whether I really want to watch it all the way through. I like the story line and the angles their taking, but the laziness with plot holes is something that just generally turns me off from linear tv shows.
04-16-2012 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
RE: Just started watching Battlestar Galactica
I just started it as well. I'm only three episodes in...
04-16-2012 01:10 PM
Advertisement

BLEEDITRED Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(04-16-2012 01:10 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  I just started it as well. I'm only three episodes in...

Woops. Sorry! haha

Like I said, I like it, but some little things bother me.

I'll be curious to get your take on it after you get through the first season or so, and see if you see those same issues.
04-16-2012 01:30 PM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(04-16-2012 01:00 PM)BLEEDITRED Wrote:  I remember seeing the show mentioned in the Falling Skies thread. I saw it's on Netflix, so I started watching a few weeks ago. I'm on episode 24. Adama just made up with the Prez, and the group on Kobol just found the tomb of Athena.

I really like the show so far, but at the same time, it pisses me off in certain aspects. They leave some plot holes so frackin wide open. It's one thing to watch a sci-fi show and suspend your disbelief, but it drives me nuts when they get lazy with story lines and plot holes, and don't bother filling them.

Like when Cylon Boomer steals the Raptor after Starbuck had just found the arrow. Cylon Boomer shows back up a few episodes later, and says, "I was scouting you" or something, and that's it. No explanation for why she just bailed, no explanation for what happened to the Raptor, and then she shows up in the new super duper Cylon ship? And they all fly out on that?

Helio's Cylon Boomer is an interesting story line, but it doesn't seem like they've developed it enough why 1) he can still "love" a machine after finding out about her and 2) why he would care so much for an alien baby when it's obvious that the Cylons are trying to figure out a way to reproduce.

And, isn't it obvious that the XO's wife is a Cylon, like they were first hinting at when she first came on board?

And the whole deal with Gauis and the blonde-chick-now-on-The-Firm is annoying! Momentary glimpses of clarity, then he's crazy, then he's a chosen one, then he's her baby daddy, then he's not, then it's that she didn't mean it was their child, it's Boomer and Helio's, then an episode later it's back to their child, then he's crazy again . . . I get that he's supposed to be conflicted, and that the mystery around the two of them is supposed to be part of the story line, but dang.

This was the only place that I know of to post about this, hahaha. What did you guys think of the series? I got 50 more episodes to go, and I'm debating whether I really want to watch it all the way through. I like the story line and the angles their taking, but the laziness with plot holes is something that just generally turns me off from linear tv shows.

Well, I hate to be "that guy" but as someone who watched it when it was out on TV, all I can say is watch, pay attention, and get through the entire run. A lot of what you are seeing is building towards a bigger story. While someone of it is pure "soap opera" it does build on bigger themes of religion, morality, flaws of humanity, etc. Some of it was also social commentary. Remember when it was first released, we were at the height of the occupation of Iraq.
04-16-2012 02:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.