Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is Israel pushing back?
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

I Root For: UMD / W&M
Is Israel pushing back?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/midd...story.html

Iran's feelings on Israel are out in the open. If Israel is inching closer to an overt act of war, is the US obligated to back them up?
01-11-2012 01:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Is Israel pushing back?
Quote:Iranian security forces inspect the site where a magnetic bomb attached to a car by a motorcyclist exploded outside a university in Tehran on Wednesday,

Cripes, it's just like the freakin' movies.
01-11-2012 01:38 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

If the US goes to war with Iran, I want it to be because WE decided to for our own interests, not because we got pulled into it by another nation.
01-11-2012 01:42 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
No. They are capable of handling this without our help. From the look of this...they already are. We are going to wake up one morning and hear that the Israelis have bombed the sh!t out of Iran into dust.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 01:44 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
01-11-2012 01:44 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

(01-11-2012 01:44 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  No. They are capable of handling this without our help. From the look of this...they already are. We are going to wake up one morning and hear that the Israelis have bombed the sh!t out of Iran into dust.

If they break it, they buy it. I just doubt we'll keep our hands out of it.
01-11-2012 01:45 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(01-11-2012 01:44 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  No. They are capable of handling this without our help. From the look of this...they already are. We are going to wake up one morning and hear that the Israelis have bombed the sh!t out of Iran into dust.

while receiving overt assistance from Iraq and the USA, and covert assistance from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Oman.

And I would be OK with this....
01-11-2012 02:00 PM
Advertisement

Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
The fact that it appears Mousaad is stepping up these kinds of things makes me think Iran is closer to getting a nuke than we might think.

If we could get the sanctions put on banks that do business with Iran and banks that do business with thsoe banks, I think it could tip Iran enough to get a revolution going.
01-11-2012 02:14 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
05-stirthepot
(01-11-2012 01:45 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

I don't see Israel in the business of nation-building. They'll break the sh*t out of it and leave it to the Iranians to fix. No problems here.
01-11-2012 02:51 PM
Quote this message in a reply
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(01-11-2012 02:51 PM)Rebel Wrote:  05-stirthepot
(01-11-2012 01:45 PM)AtlanticLeague Wrote:  

I don't see Israel in the business of nation-building. They'll break the sh*t out of it and leave it to the Iranians to fix. No problems here.

Agreed!
01-11-2012 02:56 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
They are about 8 hours or so ahead of us so it will probably happen around dinner time here.
01-11-2012 05:09 PM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Do you all really feel that Israel could so easily take out Iran? And are you implying they would use nukes...or would they by other means?
01-11-2012 05:22 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

It would be conventional. Nuclear would only be a defensive weapon or a response to an Iranian WMD attack of sufficient size.
01-11-2012 05:31 PM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

I Root For: NIU, Bradley
Yes, the US will definitely be roped into war, and we'll be pulling the weight. Welcome home from Iraq, boys! I hope you've rested up good because we have another war to fight for Israel, errr, I mean Freedom!

Sanctions turn Iranian public opinion against us, not their government. It helps the regime by allowing them to point to an external threat as the source of their problems, and promote solidarity. Remember how united we were after the 9/11 attacks? Most Iranians believe they have a right to nuclear advancement and don't see why Israel has a right to it and they don't.

Our involvement will have little if any to do with our national interest. This is all about Israel's insistence on Middle East hegemony and being the region's lone nuclear power. Syria was feeding us intelligence on al Qaeda and let the CIA interrogate their 9/11 recruiter for chrissake, and the Israel lobby still forced through the Syria Accountability Act. America will never be able to advance its own interests effectively so long as we have groups like the Israel lobby arguing the ridiculous proposition that America's and Israel's interests are aligned.
01-11-2012 05:35 PM
AtlanticLeague Offline
All American

boots on the ground?
01-11-2012 05:36 PM
Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

Israel can't attack Iran with boots on the ground. They can't take out Iran's nuclear program in one fell swoop like they did Saddam's, because it's decentralized and underground. Eventually, they need us to do their dirty work for them. (Or, they take the genie out of the bottle).
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2012 05:40 PM by Max Power.)
01-11-2012 05:39 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-11-2012 05:39 PM)Max Power Wrote:  Israel can't attack Iran with boots on the ground. They can't take out Iran's nuclear program in one fell swoop like they did Saddam's, because it's decentralized and underground. Eventually, they need us to do their dirty work for them. (Or, they take the genie out of the bottle).

They can come closer than you think. They will be allowed to operate out of bases in eastern Saudi. With their sortie rate, they can get a large number of air strikes in a hurry. Their Dolphin-class SS's can launch cruise missiles (including Jerichos) from fairly close in. Depending on how good their intel is, they can take down the program without hitting every site, just the choke points. They won't put boots on the ground, they will simply eradicate the key positions.

Unless they just assassinate everyone first.
01-11-2012 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Max Power Offline
Not Rod Carey

Just temporary setbacks. They simply can't take down the program from the air. Plus if such attacks happen you can forget about any revolution.
01-11-2012 06:10 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-11-2012 06:10 PM)Max Power Wrote:  Just temporary setbacks. They simply can't take down the program from the air. Plus if such attacks happen you can forget about any revolution.

They took down Saddam's from the air. Granted Iran's is bigger and more spread out and better protected. But they might get enough of it to put things on hold for a while. And for now, they seem to have figured out how to kill the key personnel, and that may slow things quite a bit.

Be interested in hearing why you think the attack would forestall a revolution.
01-11-2012 06:30 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
My opinion is if you're going to sponser terrorist attacks outside your country, then when one of your guys vaporizes you shouldn't be so shocked. Just so happens this wasn't a random killing of an innocent person we normally see when bombs go off over there. And when you threaten another country and a guy who helps back up that threat vaporizes, the ones left standing should be shitting bricks.
01-11-2012 06:50 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(01-11-2012 05:35 PM)Max Power Wrote:  Most Iranians believe they have a right to nuclear advancement and don't see why Israel has a right to it and they don't.

Now that's completely disingenuous; Israel wouldn't be (as) concerned if the Iranian leadership hasn't threated Israel with all manner of destruction.
01-11-2012 06:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.