Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Favorite Plays of the 2011 Season
Bookmark and Share
Complacent Cajun Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Favorite Plays of the 2011 Season
Just wanted to start a thread of everyone's 2011 favorite plays in the Sun Belt for their team (or others). ASU is going to add a few to this thread after they win their bowl.

Brett Baer's kick in the bowl game withstanding, here are two of my favorites this year:

1.) The moment in the season where I changed my attitude about "well, here we go again" when Troy was about to put some points up before halftime:
Link to the ESPN video

2.) Darryl Surgent's monster catch:

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2011 05:17 PM by Complacent Cajun.)
12-24-2011 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
RE: Favorite Plays of the 2011 Season
There were 2 gigantic plays by ASU, both defensively

1. "Fourth and Bobby Rainey" Stopping Bobby Rainey on 4th and 1 when a first down gives WKU a victory. ASU then calmly drove down for the game winning score.

2. "Chris Masson for president" UL is one of only 2 teams in the SBC to have a 2nd half lead and the ball against ASU (The other by WKU led to the play above.) We had banged Blaine Gauthier up all game, and after a hit a few plays earlier UL chose to rest him for a few plays and let Chris Masson finish the drive. With UL deep into ASU territory, Masson inexplicably tried to throw a sidearmed pass on the run into double coverage. Demario Davis intercepted the pass, and returned it to near midfield. ASU scored a go ahead TD on the next offensive posession and the Cajuns never threatened again...

Ironically Both of those plays are most likely remembered just as much by UL and WKU fans as they are by ASU fans. Those plays had a near direct result of keeping UL or WKU from winning the League title. Rainey's play inadvertently kept WKU out of a bowl. UL's board went into meltdown mode after Massons blunder.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2011 04:55 PM by chiefsfan.)
12-24-2011 04:53 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
The last two were my favorite.

RIP 2011 season.
12-24-2011 05:13 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(12-24-2011 04:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  UL is one of only 2 teams in the SBC to have a 2nd half lead and the ball against ASU (The other by WKU led to the play above.)

This is the second time you have completely disregarded ASU's game against ULM. ULM led ASU until late in the third quarter and had the ball down five on the ASU third of the field late in the fourth quarter.
12-24-2011 05:27 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(12-24-2011 05:27 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(12-24-2011 04:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  UL is one of only 2 teams in the SBC to have a 2nd half lead and the ball against ASU (The other by WKU led to the play above.)

This is the second time you have completely disregarded ASU's game against ULM. ULM led ASU until late in the third quarter and had the ball down five on the ASU third of the field late in the fourth quarter.

You are right, I completely didnt think that ULM had the ball an the lead on us.

Truthfully I had a version of this post written out in which I claimed the Blocked Punt against you guys for a TD was the 3rd biggest play on the season, but a screw up led to all of my comments being deleted, and I shortened it to 2 plays rather then try and write out the entire post again.

That ULM game was very much a trap game for ASU to begin with, and I think our fans disregard it because of that reason. The WKU and FIU games were 2 games that helped define what would happen to our season. The ULM game was the one in the middle that we felt we should have won handily and instead had to survive. Many fans will openly admit that we for some reason felt we should have won the entire game. We didnt feel that way with WKU, FIU, or UL.
12-24-2011 05:52 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY

No reason to blow a head gasket...just talk the warhawks up instead...it'll require much less blood pressure meds that way...04-cheers
12-24-2011 05:56 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times

you ok man?
12-24-2011 06:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
trojanbrutha Offline

(12-24-2011 05:13 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  The last two were my favorite.

RIP 2011 season.

What he said...04-bolt
12-24-2011 06:26 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
There were some catches (made by opposing teams against MT) that were pretty awesome. But yeah, hello 2012.
12-24-2011 06:57 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State

All of a sudden I realize my favorite two plays this season are at the 5:07 mark of this highlight video - back to back 51 yard interception return and 44 yard TD pass vs. ULM. Put stAte up 24-13 in the 4th.

Click this link to go directly to them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...h4g#t=306s

12-24-2011 07:09 PM
exflash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-24-2011 04:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  There were 2 gigantic plays by ASU, both defensively

1. "Fourth and Bobby Rainey" Stopping Bobby Rainey on 4th and 1 when a first down gives WKU a victory. ASU then calmly drove down for the game winning score.

2. "Chris Masson for president" UL is one of only 2 teams in the SBC to have a 2nd half lead and the ball against ASU (The other by WKU led to the play above.) We had banged Blaine Gauthier up all game, and after a hit a few plays earlier UL chose to rest him for a few plays and let Chris Masson finish the drive. With UL deep into ASU territory, Masson inexplicably tried to throw a sidearmed pass on the run into double coverage. Demario Davis intercepted the pass, and returned it to near midfield. ASU scored a go ahead TD on the next offensive posession and the Cajuns never threatened again...

Ironically Both of those plays are most likely remembered just as much by UL and WKU fans as they are by ASU fans. Those plays had a near direct result of keeping UL or WKU from winning the League title. Rainey's play inadvertently kept WKU out of a bowl. UL's board went into meltdown mode after Massons blunder.
-----And as I reminded a ASU coach going to Mississippi------they don't call roughing the passer on QBs running the option and pitching the ball----TERRIBLE CALL---my vote for worst of the year---Huge break for the EX Indians---BTW if this thing was successful in court would you want to be Indians again????
12-25-2011 06:06 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(12-25-2011 06:06 PM)exflash Wrote:  
(12-24-2011 04:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  There were 2 gigantic plays by ASU, both defensively

-----And as I reminded a ASU coach going to Mississippi------they don't call roughing the passer on QBs running the option and pitching the ball----TERRIBLE CALL---my vote for worst of the year---Huge break for the EX Indians---BTW if this thing was successful in court would you want to be Indians again????

It wasnt roughing the passer, but I thought life it was going to be a personal foul for leading with the helmet.
12-25-2011 06:16 PM
exflash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
(12-25-2011 06:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

It wasnt roughing the passer, but I thought life it was going to be a personal foul for leading with the helmet.
------I think that you are incorrect on 2 counts---it was called roughing the passer and he did not have a helmet infraction------Cajun T can get it right---OH he is banded??? Another bad call!!!!
12-26-2011 12:20 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
(12-24-2011 05:52 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

You are right, I completely didnt think that ULM had the ball an the lead on us.

Truthfully I had a version of this post written out in which I claimed the Blocked Punt against you guys for a TD was the 3rd biggest play on the season, but a screw up led to all of my comments being deleted, and I shortened it to 2 plays rather then try and write out the entire post again.

That ULM game was very much a trap game for ASU to begin with, and I think our fans disregard it because of that reason. The WKU and FIU games were 2 games that helped define what would happen to our season. The ULM game was the one in the middle that we felt we should have won handily and instead had to survive. Many fans will openly admit that we for some reason felt we should have won the entire game. We didnt feel that way with WKU, FIU, or UL.

Truth be told, at that time of the season many at ULM felt the Warhawks would win that game handily. At no time did we think ASU was the better team on the field...but both teams did a darn fine job of stinking it up that night. If there's no blocked punt by ASU, ULM wins. But that's how the Warhawks' 2011 season went: four plays in four games resulted in four losses. C'est le vie....
12-27-2011 09:20 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
For me, there was a certain onside kick on November 5th........
12-27-2011 06:37 PM
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(12-27-2011 09:20 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  

Truth be told, at that time of the season many at ULM felt the Warhawks would win that game handily. At no time did we think ASU was the better team on the field...but both teams did a darn fine job of stinking it up that night. If there's no blocked punt by ASU, ULM wins. But that's how the Warhawks' 2011 season went: four plays in four games resulted in four losses. C'est le vie....

Hell, stAte was favored. Why would you think ULM would win handily?

FWIW, That was Aplin's and stAte's worst game this year.
12-27-2011 09:54 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
WKU had lost (what was it 17 home games?) in a row. I was personally there for all but one of them.

Louisiana was driving from the WKU 24, down only 23 to 35 in the fourth quarter with 5 minutes to go.

I had seen this movie. Many times. Over and over and over again. WKU gets the lead, only to blow it in the fourth quarter and lose at home in unthinkable fashion. Again. And again and again.

Darrius Brooks intercepts Guatier's pass and Louisiana comes away with no points. Rainey goes for 56 on the next play, and then runs it in for the score on the next. Ballgame. First home win in three years.

Special moment. A lot of pent up frustration released.
12-27-2011 10:50 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(12-26-2011 12:20 AM)exflash Wrote:  
(12-25-2011 06:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

------I think that you are incorrect on 2 counts---it was called roughing the passer and he did not have a helmet infraction------Cajun T can get it right---OH he is banded??? Another bad call!!!!

I didnt say that I didnt think it was called roughing the passer. I know that what he aid. My point wa I thought it was unnecessary roughness...the fact the official doesnt understand what roughing the passer is regardles...
12-27-2011 11:46 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(12-27-2011 09:20 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  

I was there and I thought going in that ASU had the better team but history told me it would be close and ASU had a history of stinking it up on the road. I was thinking a 1 point win would be fantastic. The blocked punt was big but ULM got breaks as well including a fumble out of bounds at the 1 yard line when Frampton tried to leap over a tackler. The real difference in that game was the adjustments ASU's defense made at halftime. The DL started hammering the ULM QBs in the second half to the point I was surprised they kept coming back on the field.

That was a great game and a turning point in the season winning back to back road games so early.
12-28-2011 10:29 AM
trojanbrutha Offline

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:7312154

Can't find the catch by Eric Thomas against MT...1 handed catch in the endzone (tipped by DB and he caught the tip of the ball with ONE hand)
12-29-2011 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.