From the Bird’s Nest: Handicapping the Sun Belt
08-28-2011 06:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
RE: From the Bird’s Nest: Handicapping the Sun Belt
UL-Lafayette homer picks. The Cajuns will not finish better than 8th or 9th.05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2011 07:55 PM by MG61.)
08-28-2011 07:54 PM
chiefsfan Online
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
well he does work for ULL

Truthfully I have his rankings exactly. ASU 3rd. With the capability to finish 1-2 if all goes well or 6-8 if Aplin gets hurt. Troy winning the league. ULM 4 MTSU 5. The only difference is I have WKU 6th and ULL and UNT tied for 7th
08-28-2011 08:38 PM
Mean Green Matt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
I haven't taken Jay Walker seriously since his piece complaining that the Sun Belt was referring to ULL by their real name at the softball tournament they hosted....

Anyways, I'll be down in Lafayette to witness NT's move up the conference standings in person! (In fact, Zeebart has promised me gumbo).
08-28-2011 08:44 PM
ntmeangreen11 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
I just don't get where the Cajuns are coming from when they say they're competing for the title this year. They were 3-9 last year, and have a new coach, you can say the same about us, I'll agree, I won't be surprised if we end up winning only 3 games, I just don't get it and they're approaching WKU levels of arrogance amongst their fans. All from a program that has never played in a bowl game...
08-28-2011 09:29 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(08-28-2011 08:44 PM)Mean Green Matt Wrote:  I haven't taken Jay Walker seriously since his piece complaining that the Sun Belt was referring to ULL by their real name at the softball tournament they hosted....

Anyways, I'll be down in Lafayette to witness NT's move up the conference standings in person! (In fact, Zeebart has promised me gumbo).

Don't worry, there is no one down here taking anything Brett Vito writes seriously either!05-stirthepot
08-29-2011 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(08-28-2011 09:29 PM)ntmeangreen11 Wrote:  I just don't get where the Cajuns are coming from when they say they're competing for the title this year. They were 3-9 last year, and have a new coach, you can say the same about us, I'll agree, I won't be surprised if we end up winning only 3 games, I just don't get it and they're approaching WKU levels of arrogance amongst their fans. All from a program that has never played in a bowl game...

I don't see anything in this article about the Cajuns competing for the title this year. Perhaps you should read the article again. I also find it entertaining that the three complaint post come from UNT fans because he picks UL above UNT. Seriously, you are the same program that lost to the 3-9 Cajuns last season. Now somehow you view yourselves as SBC contenders because of Dan McCarney after going 6-30 the past three seasons? Now that is arrogance!03-lmfao
08-29-2011 08:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lafitte the Pirate Offline
2nd String

(08-28-2011 08:44 PM)Mean Green Matt Wrote:  I haven't taken Jay Walker seriously since his piece complaining that the Sun Belt was referring to ULL by their real name at the softball tournament they hosted....

Better bring several sets of clothes. With those comments, you will be soaked in gumbo!!
08-29-2011 09:03 AM
Geaux Cajuns Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-28-2011 09:29 PM)ntmeangreen11 Wrote:  I just don't get where the Cajuns are coming from when they say they're competing for the title this year. They were 3-9 last year, and have a new coach, you can say the same about us, I'll agree, I won't be surprised if we end up winning only 3 games, I just don't get it and they're approaching WKU levels of arrogance amongst their fans. All from a program that has never played in a bowl game...

The Cajun fans see the change in attitude from top to bottom. Last season you had coaches and players literally fist fighting during games! The coaches quit on the players mid season and the players quit on the coaches. Yet we still managed to win 3 games and lose two that we should have/could have won FAU and Troy. We beat stAte, UNT and ULM. Two of those teams are picked to finish in the top 4 of the Belt. We beat ULM with only 3 defensive starters playing due to injuries. According to Phil Steele the Cajuns lost 48 starts due to injuries, that is a dozen or so more than UNT who everyone can agree had a horrible season last year when it came to injuries. Since 2005 the Cajuns have gone 6-5, 6-6, 3-9, 6-6, 6-6, 3-9 so the talent to go 6-6 is there. Some of you look at us like we are UNT or WKU who hasn't won more than 3 games in 5 or 6 years, that simply is not true. Last seasons results were due to internal problems and injuries, mostly the fact that everyone and their momma knew Bustle was done even before the season started.

I look on the Cajuns schedule and see 2 for sure losses Ok State and Arizona, 1 sure wn with Nicholls ad the rest are Belt games. Where the top to the bottom of the Belt is not so great that a team can get on a good streak and run 4-5 wins through the Sunbelt. There is not a team in the Sunbelt that has been able to run the table, not even Troy.

IMO Troy will win the Belt again followed by stAte, after that it is a toss up. FIU will have a let down year, ULM will not go 7-1 in Sunbelt play after starting the season 1-4. Middle, well we will see what Middle team actually shows up week to week. FAU cupboard is pretty bare in Schnelly's last year aside from Morris. WKU, stop Rainey you win, some for UNT stop Dunbar you win.

So please tell me aside from the top two teams who is decidedly better than anyone else? I'll say that no one is so much better than any other team that they can chalk up a W before the game is played.
08-29-2011 09:10 AM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(08-29-2011 08:17 AM)CajunT Wrote:  

Don't worry, there is no one down here taking anything Brett Vito writes seriously either!05-stirthepot

Heck, a lot of us up here don't take a lot of what he says seriously either.04-bow
08-29-2011 09:11 AM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(08-29-2011 09:11 AM)MG61 Wrote:  
(08-29-2011 08:17 AM)CajunT Wrote:  

Heck, a lot of us up here don't take a lot of what he says seriously either.04-bow

We've been picked at the bottom by almost every publication, that is what is expected after going 3-9. I can assure you, I haven't spent any time complaining to any of them. A lot of good press has been given to Hudspeth, McCarney and Freeze, all still need to win to garner respect. Concensus is that Freeze has more talent to work with, but he still has to win. Hope you guys come down and visit, no one has every thrown gumbo from our group at anyone! Even after the WKU game!03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2011 09:54 AM by CajunT.)
08-29-2011 09:53 AM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-28-2011 08:38 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  well he does work for ULL

Truthfully I have his rankings exactly. ASU 3rd. With the capability to finish 1-2 if all goes well or 6-8 if Aplin gets hurt. Troy winning the league. ULM 4 MTSU 5. The only difference is I have WKU 6th and ULL and UNT tied for 7th

Just for accuracy's sake, I am employed by Townsquare Media. I do not work for the University.
08-29-2011 10:28 AM
Mean Green Matt Offline
2nd String

(08-29-2011 09:03 AM)Lafitte the Pirate Wrote:  

Better bring several sets of clothes. With those comments, you will be soaked in gumbo!!

Hey man, as long as it tastes as good as you guys claim I won't be complaining...
08-29-2011 10:55 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(08-29-2011 08:30 AM)CajunT Wrote:  

I don't see anything in this article about the Cajuns competing for the title this year. Perhaps you should read the article again. I also find it entertaining that the three complaint post come from UNT fans because he picks UL above UNT. Seriously, you are the same program that lost to the 3-9 Cajuns last season. Now somehow you view yourselves as SBC contenders because of Dan McCarney after going 6-30 the past three seasons? Now that is arrogance!03-lmfao

Now see this is what I find telling and is a prime example of why cajun fans are getting what they're getting on this board lately. Tell me CajunT, if UNT is the same program they were last year after they hired their new coach, then what does that make UL after last season? The same 3-9 team they were last year. If UNT doesn't get to progress, you don't get to either. It's a dick thing for you to say considering neither of your coaches have coached a single game at your respective schools. Quite putting Hudspeth on some kind of pedistol over the rest. That's true arrogance. Your coach hasn't done anything and you're all high up, yet Dan McCarney is going to have the same crap program as UNT has had for a while now? We haven't seen what he can do. I have high hopes for the guy and his school. And FYI, he wasn't referring to the article, he was referring to previous posts by Cajun Fans.
08-29-2011 11:25 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(08-29-2011 09:10 AM)Geaux Cajuns Wrote:  There is not a team in the Sunbelt that has been able to run the table, not even Troy.

We ran the table in 2009, 8-0 in sunbelt play.
08-29-2011 11:28 AM
BankerCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL
(08-29-2011 10:55 AM)Mean Green Matt Wrote:  

Hey man, as long as it tastes as good as you guys claim I won't be complaining...

Hey Matt, I am glad you are coming!! I know you will enjoy your visit here, i promice Cajun fans will show you a good time.. Bring plenty of friends.. I will be going to Denten next year, can't wait to see your new place..

I am an optimist.. I think we will go 7-5.. 2-2 OCC 5-3 in Conf...
I have been predicting a winning season since 1994 and its only happened once, so here's looking to the future...
08-29-2011 11:31 AM
Advertisement

CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

Matt, what you and others refer to the Ragin’Cajuns as is a matter of personal choice. What a charter member of the Sun Belt Conference requests the commissioner and his staff to refer to their athletic program as, is frankly none of your business. Your opinion is unwelcomed and irrelevant to the matter. His article addressed the subject directly with the commissioner, not SBC fans.
08-29-2011 11:38 AM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(08-29-2011 11:25 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

Now see this is what I find telling and is a prime example of why cajun fans are getting what they're getting on this board lately. Tell me CajunT, if UNT is the same program they were last year after they hired their new coach, then what does that make UL after last season? The same 3-9 team they were last year. If UNT doesn't get to progress, you don't get to either. It's a dick thing for you to say considering neither of your coaches have coached a single game at your respective schools. Quite putting Hudspeth on some kind of pedistol over the rest. That's true arrogance. Your coach hasn't done anything and you're all high up, yet Dan McCarney is going to have the same crap program as UNT has had for a while now? We haven't seen what he can do. I have high hopes for the guy and his school. And FYI, he wasn't referring to the article, he was referring to previous posts by Cajun Fans.

Thanks for ignoring the obvious and don't confuse what others have said, with what I've stated. I'm not the one complaining that the Cajuns were picked at the bottom of the conference, NT fans are in this thread. So, because someone picks them to finish below UL, its about Cajun fans being arrogant? But for a program that has gone 6-30 over the past three years to be insulted because UL is picked above them is not arrogant? Excuse me if I dismiss your post as another "Cajun fans are arrogant" note, because Cajun fans are defending our program against this hypocrisy.05-mafia
08-29-2011 11:50 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(08-29-2011 11:50 AM)CajunT Wrote:  
(08-29-2011 11:25 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

Thanks for ignoring the obvious and don't confuse what others have said, with what I've stated.

My post was entirely based upon your comment, not what others have said. You're all about stepping right outside the issue and arguing points that we're never made. That comment was about what you said and how it adds to other comments Cajun fans have made. That does not mean you make the exact same comments they have. I don't see how I could possibly be anymore clear.
08-29-2011 12:06 PM
Mean Green Matt Offline
2nd String

(08-29-2011 11:38 AM)CajunT Wrote:  

Matt, what you and others refer to the Ragin’Cajuns as is a matter of personal choice. What a charter member of the Sun Belt Conference requests the commissioner and his staff to refer to their athletic program as, is frankly none of your business. Your opinion is unwelcomed and irrelevant to the matter. His article addressed the subject directly with the commissioner, not SBC fans.

Wow, I didn't realize I said anything about Jay Walker criticizing fans for referring to ULL as ULL...what I basically said was that I thought it was ridiculous that ULL was complaining about being called ULL during the softball tournament. Now, if the SBC was calling you guys SELA, then I would be right there with you, but that isn't the case. You guys equate being called ULL to NT being called North Texas State....it's not the same thing.

As far as my opinion being unwelcomed and irrelevant...well, I think that your opinion that my opinion is unwelcomed and irrelevant is unwelcomed and irrelevant. See what I did there? 03-lmfao

I'm really looking forward to my trip down there in October...I've planned on going two times before, but both fell through...third time's the charm!
08-29-2011 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.