Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How to stop the cheating
Bookmark and Share
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Big Grin How to stop the cheating
Ya'll will have to forgive my vanity for posting this but in light of the latest with Miami, I just got to thinking about how you stop the cheating in major college sports.

This will take and combined effort on the part of the NCAA, the NFL, and the NBA. I think there are a couple of things that can be done that would either a)take care of the problem or b)at least get people to pay much more attention to their programs and those associated with them.

1. If a player is found to have knowingly violated rules (especially ones that would have made him ineligible) he should be immediately be suspended for x number of games or dismissed from the school. THis generally happens now. If that player has moved on to the professional ranks, then the NBA or NFL should suspend the player for X number of games. Punish these guys because their selfishness is hurting those players who came after them.

2. If a school is placed on probation, any player not involved should be able to immediately transfer to any school that is willing to accept them and be eligible immediately.

3. Any coach found to have been involved in inproprieties should be suspended/banned. Call it the Calipari rule. Everywhere he has been, that school has ended up in trouble yet he continues to coach. Same for ADs. These coaches/ADs need to start paying the price. Your school is placed on probation for 4 years and you are responsible? You don't coach for 4 years.

4. Your school used players that were ineligible due to infractions. You must return all money received for road games. All money earned for home games must be placed into some charitable organization.

Now, I am sure some sliding scale would need to be created based upon severity of the infractions. And I am sure that many of you can come up with more. But until the parties involved decide that they are tired of it, the cheating will continue. Until players, coaches, and administrators are held accountable, this will not end. The only people who get punished are the players who come later and play by the rules. They are the ones who don't get the bowl games. They are the ones who don't get on TV. And the ones who took the money, who broke the rules? Well, they are making their dollars in the pros or coaching someplace else.

Ok....go ahead and eat me alive!!
08-18-2011 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: How to stop the cheating
Another thing that'd help would be for the BC$ to help out by removing AQ status from ANY conference with more than a certain percentage of their schools on NCAA probation; say 25% or higher (hello SEC???) and granting the offending conference's AQ status to a non-AQ conference who follows the rules...

In other words, have conference AQ status apply to those commissioners who follow the rules and MICROMANAGE to ensure compliance to their member schools... 6 AQ conferences each year based upon APR and NCAA compliance... rotating each year. I LIKE IT!!!!

Yeah, I know it'd never happen but it WOULD solve the problem better than anything else I've heard of. 05-mafia
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2011 07:16 PM by airtroop.)
08-18-2011 07:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
Require student athletes to be financially responsible for the total value of the scholarship if they violate a contract that they will never take anything from any booster. Statute of limitations 20 years. At least schools would have some financial incentive to catch them.

Obviously, the scholarship would be revoked immediately if they are caught - no second chances.

The problem is the schools don't care - they should have to pay stiff penalties each time this occurs - and these should fund a NCAA spy program aimed at catching the kids.
08-18-2011 07:36 PM
HCJag Offline
All American

I Root For: South Alabama
(08-18-2011 07:36 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  Require student athletes to be financially responsible for the total value of the scholarship if they violate a contract that they will never take anything from any booster. Statute of limitations 20 years. At least schools would have some financial incentive to catch them.

Obviously, the scholarship would be revoked immediately if they are caught - no second chances.

The problem is the schools don't care - they should have to pay stiff penalties each time this occurs - and these should fund a NCAA spy program aimed at catching the kids.

Totally agree. The way to stop it is not penalizing the fans and current players, but by hitting the pocket-books of the schools. Million dollar fines or even more, depending on the severity of the cheating. Forget the scholarship reductions and forget vacating wins. Money. That's what it's all about. Take half of UM's athletic budget and I promise you they'll hire another compliance officer or two.
08-18-2011 09:52 PM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
04-nuke

DEATH PENALTY

04-nuke
08-19-2011 08:11 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
(08-19-2011 08:11 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
04-nuke

DEATH PENALTY

04-nuke

Ditto.

It's time for the NCAA to stop ignoring the herd of elephants in the room and start dishing out some death penalties and pulling boatloads of scholarships.

It's time to to get serious.

If this leads to some schools electing to ditch NCAA membership over this, so be it. Let them make their own organization without NCAA restrictions, and watch them destroy themselves. They will eat each other one by one.

The NCAA needs to stop the madness immediately. After the death penalties are handed out, perhaps certain limits could be put in place.

Maybe budget caps, conference membership cap of 12 teams, ending the BCS, instilling a playoff, etc.

All should be on the table.
08-19-2011 08:29 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
Nation. What you say makes far too much sense which is why it wont happen. Unfortunately.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2011 08:43 AM by AstroCajun.)
08-19-2011 08:42 AM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Saw a really interesting idea.

Limit schools to some closed door games. No one allowed in the stadium or arena except players, coaches, refs, trainers, and medical staff.

Takes away the home court / field advantage. Still have to pay the game guarantee.

I think it would be funny if they could televise the games. I'd like to see Ohio State's stadium with a smaller crowd than was present for the ASU-ULM Monsoon game on ESPN2.
08-19-2011 09:22 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

(08-19-2011 08:42 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  
Nation. What you say makes far too much sense which is why it wont happen. Unfortunately.

If the NCAA doesn't drop some hammers right now, you will see those (4) 16 team mega-conferences form and ditch NCAA membership.

The other half of FBS will be lumped back into FCS as the top tier of NCAA football.

The NCAA can stop this. They still have enough sympathetic ears in university president offices throughout the major conferences that they can do something siubstantial.

I refuse to believe that all of the presidents in the major conferences are ready to turn their universities into professional sport entities. If these schools ditch the NCAA, those players will not be required to go to class anymore. They will be paid just like the NFL players are. It will be anarchy.

NCAA football needs it's own version of the tea party to save the NCAA members from themselves.
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2011 09:32 AM by CAJUNNATION.)
08-19-2011 09:23 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(08-19-2011 09:23 AM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  
(08-19-2011 08:42 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  

If the NCAA doesn't drop some hammers right now, you will see those (4) 16 team mega-conferences form and ditch NCAA membership.

The other half of FBS will be lumped back into FCS as the top tier of NCAA football.

Everyone supposes that the NCAA doesn't drop the hammer for fear of the top schools bailing out.

If the NCAA gave one of these schools the death penalty and they walked out, the fallout would be more than they could handle.

I think if the NCAA doesn't hand down either a death penalty, TV ban, take away home games, or force a closed door game on one of the name schools that there will be no hope of getting things under some level of control.
08-19-2011 09:26 AM
Advertisement

CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

(08-19-2011 09:26 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  If the NCAA gave one of these schools the death penalty and they walked out, the fallout would be more than they could handle.

I say do it, and do it with authority!

If you want to leave... Miami, Texas, USC, the SEC, etc,.... there is the door. Don't let it hit your backside on the way out.

Enough is enough.
08-19-2011 09:36 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

People take mental shortcuts and they just see groupings and assume everyone in a group is the same.

What they don't realize is there are vast gaps between BCS schools. Mississippi State's budget is closer to Sun Belt schools than it is SEC schools. Washington State only spends $3 million more than Boise but over $20 million less than Oregon. NC State's budget is almost exactly halfway between MTSU and Florida State.

What happens if the top schools walk? Worst case, we lose $2 million in athletic revenue, but those schools are still going to want opponents, so we will get all or part of the game guarantee income. The conference loses $2 million to $3 million in NCAA and BCS revenue. At the top end that works out to around $300,000 per school.

But since we don't have to worry about so many schools pushing to move up, we no longer need a rule that requires everyone to sponsor 16 sports. We can pare it back to 14 as long as we comply with Title IX.

We can open the doors to adding more teams simply by saying any school that awards an average of 70 or 75 football scholarships is FBS. That keeps out the low and non-scholarship football schools. We have less pressure to pay fat salaries and keep up with the Joneses on facilities. In other words, we can run in the black if we choose to.
08-19-2011 10:15 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(08-19-2011 09:26 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Everyone supposes that the NCAA doesn't drop the hammer for fear of the top schools bailing out.
If the NCAA gave one of these schools the death penalty and they walked out, the fallout would be more than they could handle.I think if the NCAA doesn't hand down either a death penalty, TV ban, take away home games, or force a closed door game on one of the name schools that there will be no hope of getting things under some level of control.

Texas just tried to basically 'walk-out' with their own t.v. network and the threat of just one program jumping conferences had them shitting bricks all the way to the gov'ner.

Miami's not that important. Miami: 'come on guys; let's get out of here'....everyone else to Miami: 01-wingedeagle 'do we know you?'

The PAC12 just signed a $3 Billion deal, as did the SEC. If some clearly rogue university wants to up and leave, all your going to hear from the rest is...'don't let the door hit you on the way out'.

This could be the point where the NCAA comes back to relevence.
08-19-2011 10:18 AM
Advertisement

InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Short of the death penalty, they could make Miami a test case. I am thinking of the movie Necessary Roughness. Make them field a team of pure students. No scholarships. Each student pays his own way and walks on the football team. They still have a team. The students can still come. Any player caught taking anything from a booster is immediately expelled from the university. They can then earn their way back into scholarships. Every year they are good little boys, they get 10 scholarships back.

Something....anything....get back to playing ball. You would think that any time someone who has no connection to the university (alumni, kids went there) red flags and sirens should be going off and you would be watching them like a hawk....if you were interested in doing the right thing, that is!!!
08-19-2011 11:37 AM
Geaux Cajuns Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
(08-19-2011 11:37 AM)InjunJohn Wrote:  Short of the death penalty, they could make Miami a test case. I am thinking of the movie Necessary Roughness. Make them field a team of pure students. No scholarships. Each student pays his own way and walks on the football team. They still have a team. The students can still come. Any player caught taking anything from a booster is immediately expelled from the university. They can then earn their way back into scholarships. Every year they are good little boys, they get 10 scholarships back.

Something....anything....get back to playing ball. You would think that any time someone who has no connection to the university (alumni, kids went there) red flags and sirens should be going off and you would be watching them like a hawk....if you were interested in doing the right thing, that is!!!
The easiest way to fix NCAA football is to have a independent infractions committee. They would be responsible for the investigation process and document all major and minor violations. Their report would be sent to an evaluation or sentencing committee so to speak, but the report would not contain the alleged university, just the infractions that were found.

The sentencing committee would then levee the punishment based off of the infractions that were given without knowledge of who committed them. I think then you would see a system that lends itself to fairness for all or at least a more impartial view of infraction.

You would also have to simplify the rules themselves. A simple black and whit rule book, it is or isn't a violation. You do not need 3,000,000 bylaws to enforce college football.

Another fix would be to put a minimum and maximum athletic budget to remain FBS. All money that is made above that set number will be reinvested into academic support for ALL students, minus a % for expenditures related to upkeep of facilities.

Do away with the BCS and implement a true playoff system. Mandate that each conference have 12 teams and a championship game. The champion of each conference make the playoffs and then the highest ranked 4 teams that did not win their conference get into the playoffs. No Independent program can participate in the playoff. If all that could be done, then I believe you would see more parity and college sports become less haves and have nots.
08-19-2011 04:36 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
GSU Coach Bill Curry's take on Mike and Mike

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6876470
08-19-2011 10:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.