Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SBC Dark Horse?
Bookmark and Share
SidJag Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: USA Jags
SBC Dark Horse?
Other than the usual suspects (Troy, FIU) that could win the SBC, what team could considered the dark horse of the conference?
06-17-2011 08:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YJason Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: TROY
RE: SBC Dark Horse?
ARK St., if Aplin stays hot....or ULM, lots of talet and experience
06-17-2011 09:14 AM
bstnsportsfan3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: North Texas
dont count out UNT...i know we may be undersized, but you saw what the coaching change did for us last year ( beating MTSU on the road and staying within 7 to troy and 8 to kansas st) i feel mccarney can lead us to a good sunbelt record even in his first year.
06-17-2011 09:38 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I can see UNT spoiling one or more team's shot at the title but doubt UNT will actually contend this year for the title.
06-17-2011 10:01 AM
TexasWarhawkBrother Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM,FSU,UNC
ULM is most likely a darkhorse with the talent and experience returning. Ark. St. it depends on how they play but outside of those 2 teams i can't see anyone being a darkhorse. But if i had to choose 1 team as a darkhorse i'd have to say ULM.
06-17-2011 10:04 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Arkansas State has to get an essentially brand new offensive line to come together and has to respond well to a very new defensive scheme. ASU is two deep at QB and that's a bad thing in the spread because you do expect a QB to run and the risk of both Aplin and Butterfield being less than full power or unavailable is high.
06-17-2011 10:14 AM
Advertisement

RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
I'll throw Middle out there. I don't think we can actually win the conference, but I think we'll be alot better than people think after the loss of Dasher. Maybe even challenge for one of the bowl slots.

Dasher singlehandedly lost games for us last year and was a turnover machine. Had we had anyone behind him (both backups were hurt), he would have been on the bench. We should be able to get more consistent play from the new QB.

I'm thinking 6-6 next year, but with a couple of good bounces (which we got none last year except the FIU fumble), we could be 7-5.
06-17-2011 11:02 AM
fauowls561 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
It's the Sun Belt. Anyone can put together a run and win the title in any given season.
06-17-2011 12:16 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

The Dasher Distraction killed MT last year in my opinion. Stability even with a lesser talent under center could be a big benefit.
06-17-2011 12:46 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Louisiana will whip some asses before its over. I'll let you know about it as soon as it happens.

Book it.

Z

oh yeah...ps have a great weekend and a fantastic Fathers Day!
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011 01:45 PM by zeebart21.)
06-17-2011 01:44 PM
Green Menace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I think the Sun Belt darkhorse this season will be Louisiana Tech......oh, wait a minute.
06-17-2011 02:35 PM
Advertisement

JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(06-17-2011 12:16 PM)fauowls561 Wrote:  It's the Sun Belt. Anyone can put together a run and win the title in any given season.

Anyone? Well, I'll have to disagree unless a miracle happens along, ULM, WKU and FAU will be hard pressed to make a run. Louisiana is going to surprise some teams and make a strong run, but MTSU and Troy seem to be the cream at the top to me.
06-17-2011 02:37 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
(06-17-2011 02:37 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(06-17-2011 12:16 PM)fauowls561 Wrote:  It's the Sun Belt. Anyone can put together a run and win the title in any given season.

Anyone? Well, I'll have to disagree unless a miracle happens along, ULM, WKU and FAU will be hard pressed to make a run. Louisiana is going to surprise some teams and make a strong run, but MTSU and Troy seem to be the cream at the top to me.

I disagree about ULM. I think they are definitely in the thick of things. I say ULM finishes 3rd, or could surprise with a conference title.
06-17-2011 03:00 PM
Troy87 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy
New Orleans Bowl
Dark horse would have to be ULM. Too much coming back for them not to compete game in and game out. The question is, can they put together enough, for long enough, to make a serious run at the title. I doubt it, but they have the personnel with experience.

Competing for the title will be Troy, FIU and Ark St.

Troy has filled some defensive holes, but lost some offensive depth at receiver, and the offensive line has depth issues. The skill players on the Troy offense are going to be real good. On defense, the LBs, and most of the DL are experienced. The secondary is going to be a mix of new guys and guys from last season.

FIU has TY Hilton back along with Wes Carroll, but what they lost was an explosive utility guy that kept Hilton from being keyed on every play. This year, Hilton will have the bullseye squarely on him, and Carroll is not a QB that is going to break a game open. His surrounding cast does all his heavy lifting, and I see lots of people putting pressure on him this year.

Ark St. has the explosive fire power on offense, with a group of skilled players that is back and is playing for the same guy they played for last season, but he has a different hat this year. The Ark. St. question is their defense. If they have any this year, they have a shot, but if they are only marginally better than last year, they will be back in the middle again.
06-17-2011 03:17 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(06-17-2011 03:00 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(06-17-2011 02:37 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  

I disagree about ULM. I think they are definitely in the thick of things. I say ULM finishes 3rd, or could surprise with a conference title.

And I'll disagree with your disagreement. It's the coaching that's going to make the difference. Berry cost them a couple of games last year. Easily. You can't fix that kind of problem.

And I also think that the returning starters issue is a bit of a myth. On balance the Cajuns, and a lot of the other SBC teams, may have less returning starters than ULM but more overall returning depth.

Tell me that won't make a difference when the injury bug comes-a-callin' as it always does.

They've got an OOC schedule that leaves them 1-3 at best and they aren't going to go on the road and beat Troy and the Cajuns.
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011 03:26 PM by AstroCajun.)
06-17-2011 03:24 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(06-17-2011 02:35 PM)Green Menace Wrote:  I think the Sun Belt darkhorse this season will be Louisiana Tech......oh, wait a minute.
03-lmfao

Maybe in 2014?02-13-banana
06-17-2011 03:27 PM
Advertisement

WKUApollo Offline

I Root For: WKU Hilltoppers
I'm aware that until WKU does something, any prognostications are pipe dreams at best ....but...given that Last year a young WKU team got the psychological monkey off their back and won a couple games (both in conference) and lost four other conference games by 1 TD or less and was tied going into the fourth against Troy and the Toppers have had two very highly regarded recruiting classes in a row, I'm cautiously optimistic that this may be the year where we finish near the middle of the conference or better. Also, a lighter schedule to start the year may also contribute to a better season as well.
06-17-2011 04:47 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
ULM or WKU. ULM is bringing a ton back, and I really think WKU is set up to make a big move soon. Though im not sure it will be this year

ASU we'll either be in the top 3 of the league if its Offensive Line can do its job and the Defense is improved, or middle of the pack if one or neither happen

ULL and FAU are at the bottom this year, with UNT hanging around above them
(This post was last modified: 06-17-2011 06:29 PM by chiefsfan.)
06-17-2011 06:27 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(06-17-2011 06:27 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ULM or WKU. ULM is bringing a ton back, and I really think WKU is set up to make a big move soon. Though im not sure it will be this year

ASU we'll either be in the top 3 of the league if its Offensive Line can do its job and the Defense is improved, or middle of the pack if one or neither happen

I'm beating UL isn't at the bottom this year, in fact I think they will be somewhere in the middle of the pack. I think a few programs have set themselves up with good schedules, while others have front loaded a number of losses with their out of conference schedules. Then there are few that have over evaluated their talent, but this is why the game is played on the field. As in every year, there will be a few surprises and disappoints.04-rock
06-17-2011 08:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(06-17-2011 06:27 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  ULM or WKU. ULM is bringing a ton back, and I really think WKU is set up to make a big move soon. Though im not sure it will be this year

MTSU seems to get it going in conference when it needs to do so. With Dasher gone, they may well surprise. I personally think it will be ULM just because of the returning starters and the number of players who got playing time due to injuries last year

WKU is the team that scares me. They got that first win and they have been close so much. They could have a break out year.

NT could be interesting. They played much better once Dodge was fired. How will they do with the new "new" coach? ASU has a good QB and good receivers. Will be interesting to see if the line come around.
06-17-2011 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.