Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Future of the Sun Belt?
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
The Future of the Sun Belt?
It seems that the Sun Belt has reached a pivotal point in it's history. The recent success against the MAC, and the fall of the WAC are raising the perception of the Sun Belt within college football. Some of our programs are investing millions of dollars into their athletics. I'm wondering if some fans of each program could provide insight into any offical plans their programs have that might be realized within the next 5 years. I'd also like your honest opinions about what you think the Sun Belt as a conference could accomplish within 5 years. Myself, I believe the Sun Belt might very well be a 4 bowl conference within 5 years. 5, maybe even 6 bowls if we were to expand to 12 with FBS programs.
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2011 05:54 PM by Side Show Joe.)
05-30-2011 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: The Future of the Sun Belt?
(05-30-2011 05:51 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I'd also like your honest opinions about what you think the Sun Belt as a conference could accomplish within 5 years.

I share a similar yet different view than most. Similar in that I really feel the sunbelt has A LOT of potential as a conference. However, where I differe is while I do think we've grown some, we haven't grown as much as everyone is saying we have. We're still getting our butts handed to us pretty handedly out of conference. This past season was a huge step back, and only the bowl season saved it.

However, with all that you have mentioned, being better than the mac, the wac crumbling, stadium and other upgrades, and the three new highly qualified coaching hires, the future looks really bright. This could be the turning point. We'll have to wait and see.
05-30-2011 06:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(05-30-2011 06:47 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(05-30-2011 05:51 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  I'd also like your honest opinions about what you think the Sun Belt as a conference could accomplish within 5 years.

I share a similar yet different view than most. Similar in that I really feel the sunbelt has A LOT of potential as a conference. However, where I differe is while I do think we've grown some, we haven't grown as much as everyone is saying we have. We're still getting our butts handed to us pretty handedly out of conference. This past season was a huge step back, and only the bowl season saved it.

However, with all that you have mentioned, being better than the mac, the wac crumbling, stadium and other upgrades, and the three new highly qualified coaching hires, the future looks really bright. This could be the turning point. We'll have to wait and see.

when athlon puts out its southeastern edition and doesn't feel it's necessary to profile SBC teams, the Sun Belt and its members still have a long ways to go...
05-30-2011 07:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(05-30-2011 07:16 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  

when athlon puts out its southeastern edition and doesn't feel it's necessary to profile SBC teams, the Sun Belt and its members still have a long ways to go...

Winning will cure any and all ills.
05-30-2011 07:53 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
In football, the conference has gotten better since it's creation, but still has a long way to go. I feel like there is a lot of potential since it's a southern-based conference and every school is in fertile recruiting grounds. Hopefully basketball will pick back up with all the great recruiting.
05-30-2011 08:16 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
(05-30-2011 07:53 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  

Winning will cure any and all ills.

That !!
05-30-2011 08:18 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
We aren't anywhere near what I believe the potential is. The upside is seeing investments made. What we have to do is starting taking a serious attitude toward coaching.

2008 ASU, 2009 UL, wins over a Big XII and a SWAC in the first two games to start 2-0, staggering finish at 6-6. Warning alarms should have been screaming at that point. The Dodge fiasco clearly went a year too long.
05-30-2011 08:38 PM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM

Athlon's Southeastern edition is nearly ALWAYS about the Southeastern Conference with some pages devoted to a handful of teams outside the SEC. Been that way for years and it won't change.
05-31-2011 07:54 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-31-2011 07:54 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  

Athlon's Southeastern edition is nearly ALWAYS about the Southeastern Conference with some pages devoted to a handful of teams outside the SEC. Been that way for years and it won't change.

And its not about respect, its about whether the cost of the content and the cost of printing the extra pages will result in enough additional sales to justify the cost.
05-31-2011 08:56 AM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(05-31-2011 08:56 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(05-31-2011 07:54 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  

And its not about respect, its about whether the cost of the content and the cost of printing the extra pages will result in enough additional sales to justify the cost.

Oh I think athlon has plenty of pages already in that rag. They found enough space for uab and other c-usa teams. The point remains however, the Sun Belt has a ways to go, whether in perception or large enough fan base that would go out buy the athlon rag just because their team is in there. Athlon is missing a sale with me, maybe others. I was very tempted while at the section in the grocery store to place some other magazine over the athlon piece of crap - tempted but I didn't.
05-31-2011 09:59 AM
CajunFan8301 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UL
Stability, Stability, Stability.....with so many changes in Conference affiliations nation wide, one thing we SBC teams can brag about is stability. When the national media has to look up what conference
you are in this year, it doesn't help. The longer we stick together, the better our reputation and ratings will be.
Next, we need to play no more than 1 money game per season. Creative fund raising will take the place of losing for $$$...We can no longer start off the season losing 2 or 3 before Conference starts.
Build rivals with in state schools that bring fans...
My 5 yr, projection, alot better Conference Rating, and better facilities will assist our image, IF we produce more Wins !!
05-31-2011 11:12 AM
Advertisement

GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
(05-31-2011 11:12 AM)CajunFan8301 Wrote:  Stability, Stability, Stability.....with so many changes in Conference affiliations nation wide, one thing we SBC teams can brag about is stability. When the national media has to look up what conference
you are in this year, it doesn't help. The longer we stick together, the better our reputation and ratings will be.
Next, we need to play no more than 1 money game per season. Creative fund raising will take the place of losing for $$$...We can no longer start off the season losing 2 or 3 before Conference starts.
My 5 yr, projection, alot better Conference Rating, and better facilities will assist our image, IF we produce more Wins !!

Stability, Stability Stability yes, but being stable at being mediocre is not a good thing. What the SunBelt desperately needs is one team to step up and make some noise. The SunBelt's perception would make more progress with one win over a SEC/ACC top 10 team than all wins combined over the past 5 years. All it would take is one team getting the big win and having a 10 win season. ESPN would give so much coverage if that occured and would overhype it saying "Is the SunBelt on the rise?" Really the conference could be about the same, but the top 10 win would be a huge perception win which is most of the battle nowadays.

In reality, Troy has show flashes at times to be the team that can do this, but outside of them no one else is even on the radar for stepping their game up. As things are now, it will have to come from Troy or a new team(s). I honestly believe the SB needs a couple of new solid teams that can kick some a** on the football field. Back in the 80's and 90's Southern Miss was a well respected and feared program that would slip up on the big boys from time to time. The SB needs to get a few programs that can make the big boys nervous. Right now, the SEC teams fear most of the SB about the same as UT Chattanooga or Furman.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2011 08:02 PM by GSU Eagles.)
05-31-2011 07:59 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(05-31-2011 07:59 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  
(05-31-2011 11:12 AM)CajunFan8301 Wrote:  Stability, Stability, Stability.....with so many changes in Conference affiliations nation wide, one thing we SBC teams can brag about is stability. When the national media has to look up what conference

Stability, Stability Stability yes, but being stable at being mediocre is not a good thing. What the SunBelt desperately needs is one team to step up and make some noise. The SunBelt's perception would make more progress with one win over a SEC/ACC top 10 team than all wins combined over the past 5 years. All it would take is one team getting the big win and having a 10 win season. ESPN would give so much coverage if that occured and would overhype it saying "Is the SunBelt on the rise?" Really the conference could be about the same, but the top 10 win would be a huge perception win which is most of the battle nowadays.

In reality, Troy has show flashes at times to be the team that can do this, but outside of them no one else is even on the radar for stepping their game up. As things are now, it will have to come from Troy or a new team(s). I honestly believe the SB needs a couple of new solid teams that can kick some a** on the football field. Back in the 80's and 90's Southern Miss was a well respected and feared program that would slip up on the big boys from time to time. The SB needs to get a few programs that can make the big boys nervous. Right now, the SEC teams fear most of the SB about the same as UT Chattanooga or Furman.

You do know that the sunbelt presidents already met and decided they will NOT add any new teams? Just saying you can shutdown down the campaign for now. 01-wingedeagle
05-31-2011 09:38 PM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(05-31-2011 07:59 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Right now, the SEC teams fear most of the SB about the same as UT Chattanooga or Furman.

Ask Alabama what they think of ULM. Ask LSU the same about Troy.

5 years ago, I would have agreed with you....but not now.
05-31-2011 10:12 PM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
GaState ready for the bigtime. Atlanta just lost its NHL team to, of all places, Winnipeg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/st...id=6611534
06-01-2011 12:50 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(06-01-2011 12:50 PM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  GaState ready for the bigtime. Atlanta just lost its NHL team to, of all places, Winnipeg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/st...id=6611534

A lot of extenuating circumstances involved in this sale, not the least of which is crap ownership. There is still a couple of movements afloat to get a local ownership group to buy them. Bottom line is people in Atlanta will not buy into a crap product. It's very unfortunate if they move because they do have a base of diehard season ticket holders. They averaged 13,400 fans per game which is the bottom 3 but over the last three years the ownership has made all the wrong moves as far as lighting a fire under fans. Still the NHL has less that zero to do with GSU.
06-02-2011 12:14 PM
Advertisement

panama Offline
Legend

(05-31-2011 09:38 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  
(05-31-2011 07:59 PM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  

You do know that the sunbelt presidents already met and decided they will NOT add any new teams? Just saying you can shutdown down the campaign for now. 01-wingedeagle

This = Funny
06-02-2011 12:16 PM
GSU Eagles Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
[/quote]

A lot of extenuating circumstances involved in this sale, not the least of which is crap ownership. There is still a couple of movements afloat to get a local ownership group to buy them. Bottom line is people in Atlanta will not buy into a crap product. It's very unfortunate if they move because they do have a base of diehard season ticket holders. They averaged 13,400 fans per game which is the bottom 3 but over the last three years the ownership has made all the wrong moves as far as lighting a fire under fans. Still the NHL has less that zero to do with GSU.
[/quote]

Uh oh, sounds like Ga State is in trouble then.
06-02-2011 06:53 PM
panama Offline
Legend

[/quote]

Uh oh, sounds like Ga State is in trouble then.
[/quote]

Look buddy. Nobody was talking to you and I am not going to get into it with you. You are what you are which is a GS Eagle which outside Statesboro aint much. Explains why every GS poster's online signature (on every message board) reads like a football program's resume. There was a statement made about the Thrashers sale and I posted to clarify what was really going on. But leave it to you and your brethren to turn every message forum post online into possible campaign for GS Football Inc. Nobody really cares about how many wins and trophies you trumpet in your signature. A word of advice that I have already passed on to your brother Eagles. Act like you've been there. You never see Bama, Texas, Miami and Notre Dame fans chasing down fans of schools they do not even play to browbeat and denigrate them. They also don't have to say "Oh look at how many championships I have won". They do not because they have nothing to prove; they are champions. So please stop trying to sell your program by falsely comparing your community college to a school's football program that is 2 years old and which your AD steadfastly refuses to play in football.

I apologize in advance for the vent and threadjacking.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2011 07:09 PM by panama.)
06-02-2011 07:09 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Please don't get big heads. Nobody is going to confuse NTSU with Texas, or USA with Alabama, or FIU with Florida, or FAU with Florida State, or MTSU with Tennessee, or ULaLa with LSU, or Arkansas State with Arkansas. The Sunbelt is a nice league, but it isn't the SEC or the Big 12 or the ACC. Right now it is having good times. But times could get rough if someone like C-USA comes calling.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 12:12 PM by SMUstang.)
06-03-2011 08:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.