Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

To Visitors: A Little big about The University of Houston
Bookmark and Share
canewton Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
To Visitors: A Little big about The University of Houston
The following is a walk through for visitors of our beloved University of Houston and the Houston area. This thread will be updated as I feel the need.

The University of Houston System

The fourth largest university system in Texas, The University of Houston system is home to over 60,000 students among 4 universities and two system centers.

The University of Houston
[Image: uhouston.jpg]
The University of Houston is Texas' 3rd largest public University with roughly 38,000 students. Being one of four Texas schools ranked as 'Very High Research Activity' by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, The University of Houston has increased it's academic reputation by leaps and bounds in the recent years.

University of Houston-Downtown

[Image: uhds.jpg]

With slightly less than 13,000 students, UHD is the second largest university in the UHS system. Located on allens landing, it calls the historic Manufacturers and Merchants Building it's home (shown).

University of Houston-Clear Lake

[Image: uhcl.jpg]

Having an enrollment of just over 8,000 students, UHCL is the third largest university in the UH System. Being a 'senior level' university, UHCL only offers junior, senior, and masters level courses and relies on transfers from other universities and community colleges for students. Plans are in the works to transition UHCL into a full 4 year university.

University of Houston-Victoria

[Image: uhv.jpg]

The only UH System campus outside the metro Houston area, UHV was recently made into a 4 year university. With roughly 5,000 students, UHV specializes in academic programs caters to non-traditional students by offering many educational programs online and at the UH System's two satellite campuses.

UH System Sugarland and Cinco Ranch

[Image: uhsugarland.jpg][Image: uhcincoranch.jpg]

Being System Centers, UH-Sugarland and UH-Cinco Ranch do not offer their own degrees, but rely on other UH System universities to offer academic programs. These two centers specialize in offering academic programs to the West and Southwest side of the Houston Metro Area.

I'll keep updating this when I have time.
04-25-2011 10:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

canewton Offline
All American

RE: To Visitors: A Little big about The University of Houston
Reserved
canewton Offline
All American

Reserved
canewton Offline
All American

Reserved
Advertisement

Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
I think UH is a sleeping giant. With the fertile recruiting grounds in Texas and the universities new league affiliation, I think UH sports is going to take off. UH has a solid rep in football and even better in basketball. Wait until teams like UC, UL, UConn, GTown, Nova,Notre Dame, come to town. You guys will sell out. Big East basketball is nothing but good. It's been great for Cincinnati and will be the same for UH.
07-04-2012 10:43 AM
Tony85 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sanity
I think UH is a sleeping giant. With the fertile recruiting grounds in Texas and the universities new league affiliation, I think UH sports is going to take off. UH has a solid rep in football and even better in basketball. Wait until teams like UC, UL, UConn, GTown, Nova,Notre Dame, come to town. You guys will sell out. Big East basketball is nothing but good. It's been great for Cincinnati and will be the same for UH.
[/quote]

Wait until teams like UC, UL, UConn, GTown, Nova,Notre Dame, come to town.

I am a huge Memphis Tiger fan living in Houston and I myself can't wait for the Big East to get here. Right now the only UH game I attend is UM but I will at least purchase a Big East Conference season pass next year. UH is a sleeping giant but I'm not sure how sleep are they really. I've been told event the Phi Slamma Jamma teams didn't sell out all the games, just the big name games. I hope it is an electric college basketball atmosphere but regardless to me and partially sold out Georgetown, Cinn UL etc is much better than a poorly attended UAB or UTEP. Here's to UH getting it done. 04-cheers
07-13-2012 11:38 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(07-13-2012 11:38 AM)Tony85 Wrote:  I think UH is a sleeping giant. With the fertile recruiting grounds in Texas and the universities new league affiliation, I think UH sports is going to take off. UH has a solid rep in football and even better in basketball. Wait until teams like UC, UL, UConn, GTown, Nova,Notre Dame, come to town. You guys will sell out. Big East basketball is nothing but good. It's been great for Cincinnati and will be the same for UH.
Quote:Wait until teams like UC, UL, UConn, GTown, Nova,Notre Dame, come to town.

I am a huge Memphis Tiger fan living in Houston and I myself can't wait for the Big East to get here. Right now the only UH game I attend is UM but I will at least purchase a Big East Conference season pass next year. UH is a sleeping giant but I'm not sure how sleep are they really. I've been told event the Phi Slamma Jamma teams didn't sell out all the games, just the big name games. I hope it is an electric college basketball atmosphere but regardless to me and partially sold out Georgetown, Cinn UL etc is much better than a poorly attended UAB or UTEP. Here's to UH getting it done. 04-cheers

This was an interesting brief update on UH. I went to Rice, but was not aware of how the different schools in the UH system played out. Thanks for providing the info.

As an aside, of course, with the C7 split as well as Notre Dame off to mostly the ACC, things aren't quite working out the way ya'll might have forseen initially. But I do thiunk UH will do well in its new conference, no matter the actual memebrship. I wish you luck, and hope we can still play you in all sports, albeit OOC for now.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2013 10:50 PM by GoodOwl.)
03-06-2013 10:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.