Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

wittels vs. southall
Bookmark and Share
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
wittels vs. southall
is allowing wittels to play any different than when ulala allowed michael southall to play for them despite numerous past transgressions???

i couldn't pick wittels out of a police lineup...lol. but i saw southall numerous times and liked the kid. he was a dominant force and i never once saw him respond to some of the worst heckling i've seen at the college level.

no matter how much crap i gave my ulala brethren he was probably worth the bad publicity they got at the time.

and i'm not comparing southall's past indiscretions to rape. but wittels hasn't been convicted of rape.

yes...it is a black eye no matter what the fiu fans say.

but i'm really just trying to stir some more up on a subject that already has around 3 threads of its own.
02-19-2011 11:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: wittels vs. southall
(02-19-2011 11:02 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  is allowing wittels to play any different than when ulala allowed michael southall to play for them despite numerous past transgressions???

i couldn't pick wittels out of a police lineup...lol. but i saw southall numerous times and liked the kid. he was a dominant force and i never once saw him respond to some of the worst heckling i've seen at the college level.

no matter how much crap i gave my ulala brethren he was probably worth the bad publicity they got at the time.

and i'm not comparing southall's past indiscretions to rape. but wittels hasn't been convicted of rape.

but i'm really just trying to stir some more up on a subject that already has around 3 threads of its own.

Who is Southall? Never heard of him!

Z

your avatar is the greatest!!
02-19-2011 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-19-2011 11:02 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  is allowing wittels to play any different than when ulala allowed michael southall to play for them despite numerous past transgressions???

I was just as critical of Evans for not punishing Southall as I am concerning FIU not punishing Wittels. No double standard with me.
02-19-2011 11:40 AM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(02-19-2011 11:40 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

I was just as critical of Evans for not punishing Southall as I am concerning FIU not punishing Wittels. No double standard with me.

Hey BoP, just curious, does your handle originate from the animal Macgregor's Bird of Paradise, or Charlie Parker's jazz standard "Bird of Paradise"?
02-19-2011 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

The answer is obvious beed, the thug should have never been allowed to play period. But let's be clear, when it came to baseball, coach Robicheaux has always suspended athletes including pitcher Justin Gabariel that pitched in the regionals and beat LSU. Suspended another athlete for a DUI for one year as well. He has been consistent.

Our football program has been consistent as well, kicked one off the football program last summer for drug possession, the other two were suspended until the police investigation cleared both and both returned in the fall.

Our athletic program has been pretty consistent over the past ten years, the exception of course is Southall. But I'd put our record of discipline against any program in the SBC.
02-19-2011 12:05 PM
crawfish3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
I do not know anything about Wittel, but I do know what happened to Southall.

Southall got caught for under age drinking while in high school. This put him on probation.

Then he got caught with a joint. (not selling it, smoking it)

Then he got caught in a bar while he was on probation. (after he was 21)

The probation violation got him a year in jail.

He did his time then came out a better person. He was a model student as a senior, even though all of the missed playing time did irrepairable damage to his basketball career. Even when his problems were going on, he was decent in the classroom; he was not an academic problem.

He was guilty of immaturity, and doing what most kids in college do, partying.

I hated that he did all of this stuff and blew a chance for a brilliant career and possibly a shot at the NBA. He was not a bad kid or a criminal, he just did not act very smart as kids are known to do.

So if anyone wants to hold him up as a thug or whatever, that is their thing, but he certainly was not a criminal and I hope he is having a successful ADULT life where ever he is these days.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2011 06:57 PM by crawfish3.)
02-19-2011 06:55 PM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-19-2011 11:59 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(02-19-2011 11:40 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

Hey BoP, just curious, does your handle originate from the animal Macgregor's Bird of Paradise, or Charlie Parker's jazz standard "Bird of Paradise"?

Actually, it originates from the Little Jimmy Dickens song "May the Bird of Paradise Fly up your nose." LOL02-13-banana
02-20-2011 09:56 AM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(02-19-2011 06:55 PM)crawfish3 Wrote:  I do not know anything about Wittel, but I do know what happened to Southall.

Southall got caught for under age drinking while in high school. This put him on probation.

He did his time then came out a better person. He was a model student as a senior, even though all of the missed playing time did irrepairable damage to his basketball career. Even when his problems were going on, he was decent in the classroom; he was not an academic problem.

I hated that he did all of this stuff and blew a chance for a brilliant career and possibly a shot at the NBA. He was not a bad kid or a criminal, he just did not act very smart as kids are known to do.

So if anyone wants to hold him up as a thug or whatever, that is their thing, but he certainly was not a criminal and I hope he is having a successful ADULT life where ever he is these days.

crawfish.....i didn't call him a thug (i know you didn't say i did).

i actually liked the way he carried himself when we played him. he was a beast.

but i don't think he'll be cleaning the poor lepers in some river in india either.

if i recall correctly and i'm going strictly off of memory and this was a long time ago. the reason uk booted him before he ever got there was not underage drinking or 'one joint'.

i think him and some of his idiot h.s. friends videotaped themselves preparing a bunch of weed 'for distribution'. they then got the damn munchies and in their haste to buy twinkies and slurpees at a convenience store left the video camera in the store.

sahib that owned the 'kwikee-grab' watched the video and gave it to the po-po. the rest is history.

now i don't know if i'm misrembering this or it came to me in a vodka induced dream or it was in a movie i watched on netflix streaming. but i think that is how it went down.
02-20-2011 10:23 AM
FIU4Ever Offline

I Root For: FIU
(02-20-2011 10:23 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(02-19-2011 06:55 PM)crawfish3 Wrote:  I do not know anything about Wittel, but I do know what happened to Southall.

but i don't think he'll be cleaning the poor lepers in some river in india either.

if i recall correctly and i'm going strictly off of memory and this was a long time ago. the reason uk booted him before he ever got there was not underage drinking or 'one joint'.

i think him and some of his idiot h.s. friends videotaped themselves preparing a bunch of weed 'for distribution'. they then got the damn munchies and in their haste to buy twinkies and slurpees at a convenience store left the video camera in the store.

sahib that owned the 'kwikee-grab' watched the video and gave it to the po-po. the rest is history.

now i don't know if i'm misrembering this or it came to me in a vodka induced dream or it was in a movie i watched on netflix streaming. but i think that is how it went down.

'beed, you are hell bent on making some people on this board uncomfortable! 03-lmfao Obviously their current self-righteousness was a result of them having transgressed in the pass. 05-stirthepot
02-20-2011 12:08 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(02-20-2011 12:08 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  

'beed, you are hell bent on making some people on this board uncomfortable! 03-lmfao Obviously their current self-righteousness was a result of them having transgressed in the pass. 05-stirthepot

Hows that hitting streak? Havent been following what with our 9 game basketball winning streak and all... Plus having to negotiate the massive crowds we have been having at the Cajundome...well Im sure you can imagine what my life has been like... So, anyway...hows your boys hitting streak going?

Its always sunny in Miami!!!

Z
02-20-2011 02:40 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(02-20-2011 02:40 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  

Hows that hitting streak? Havent been following what with our 9 game basketball winning streak and all... Plus having to negotiate the massive crowds we have been having at the Cajundome...well Im sure you can imagine what my life has been like... So, anyway...hows your boys hitting streak going?

Z

And always empty seats as well! Geaux ESPNU!03-lmfao
02-20-2011 03:06 PM
Advertisement

FIU4Ever Offline

(02-20-2011 03:06 PM)CajunT Wrote:  

Z

Empty seats and still on ESPNU & ESPN3.com! While a team selling out their arena can't even get a local broadcast! What does a team need to do to get on ESPN? Do things that very few can do or WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS or better yet, do both!!!!!!! When you guys have someone that can hit in 50 straight games, come back and talk with the DEFENDING CHAMPIONS. 05-mafia

One guy says "I hit in every game for the entire season" and a cajun responds "that's nothing, we won 9 straight basketball games!" 01-wingedeagle End result, see signature below.

Anyway, the discussion was about why you guys are two faced on this issue, plain and simple.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2011 07:29 PM by FIU4Ever.)
02-20-2011 07:21 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(02-20-2011 07:21 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  
(02-20-2011 10:23 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  crawfish.....i didn't call him a thug (i know you didn't say i did).

Z

Empty seats and still on ESPNU & ESPN3.com! While a team selling out their arena can't even get a local broadcast! What does a team need to do to get on ESPN? Do things that very few can do or WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS or better yet, do both!!!!!!! When you guys have someone that can hit in 50 straight games, come back and talk with the DEFENDING CHAMPIONS. 05-mafia

One guy says "I hit in every game for the entire season and am now under investigation for rape, thereby bringing shame to my team and my university" and a cajun responds "that's nothing, we won 9 straight basketball games!" 01-wingedeagle End result, see signature below.

Anyway, the discussion was about why you guys are two faced on this issue, plain and simple.

Fixed it for ya, hon.

Thanks for breaking through and winning something last year. You were pretty """"ing dismal in previous seasons. God loves you and so do I!!

Z

Cajun game was broadcast on Fox Southwest a good portion of the country saw it.
02-20-2011 07:36 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(02-20-2011 07:36 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  
(02-20-2011 12:08 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  'beed, you are hell bent on making some people on this board uncomfortable! 03-lmfao Obviously their current self-righteousness was a result of them having transgressed in the pass. 05-stirthepot

Z

One guy says "I hit in every game for the entire season and am now under investigation for rape, thereby bringing shame to my team and my university" and a cajun responds "that's nothing, we won 9 straight basketball games!" 01-wingedeagle End result, see signature below.

Fixed it for ya, hon.

Thanks for breaking through and winning something last year. You were pretty """"ing dismal in previous seasons. God loves you and so do I!!

Z

+1 03-lmfao
02-20-2011 07:46 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

(02-20-2011 07:46 PM)CajunT Wrote:  
(02-20-2011 02:40 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  Hows that hitting streak? Havent been following what with our 9 game basketball winning streak and all... Plus having to negotiate the massive crowds we have been having at the Cajundome...well Im sure you can imagine what my life has been like... So, anyway...hows your boys hitting streak going?

Z

Fixed it for ya, hon.

Z

+1 03-lmfao

The whole country saw our games. You can catch the current game on ESPNU and ESPN3.com right now. Good thing ULL started to win some games, you were all conspicuously absent when you had the losing streak going.
02-20-2011 09:36 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(02-20-2011 09:36 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  
(02-20-2011 07:46 PM)CajunT Wrote:  
(02-20-2011 03:06 PM)CajunT Wrote:  And always empty seats as well! Geaux ESPNU!03-lmfao

Fixed it for ya, hon.

Z

+1 03-lmfao

The whole country saw our games. You can catch the current game on ESPNU and ESPN3.com right now. Good thing ULL started to win some games, you were all conspicuously absent when you had the losing streak going.

Friend, dont pull my chain. FIU vs SE La carries no stick... UL vs WKY carries NO stick.

So basically, the whole country didnt really see either of our games.

In esscence...the only real difference was "the country" could watch a basketball team given up for dead a few short weeks ago play their asses off in a win in front of 7K..Coached by someone who has never been accused of sexual harrassment, never bankrupted a major corporation and never thrown his children under the bus...

OR watch a baseball team from THE University """that hired a guy that has been accused of sexual harrassment, bankrupted a major corporation and threw his kids under a bus."""... fall apart as their leader of a year ago falls apart all the while bringing shame upon himself and his university and his county and his city and his state and his granny and his paw paw and his aunts and his uncles and his sisters and his brothers and his goldfish.

MUAHHH!

Z
02-20-2011 10:03 PM
Advertisement

AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-20-2011 07:21 PM)FIU4Ever Wrote:  Anyway, the discussion was about why you guys are two faced on this issue, plain and simple.

There you go again with your false equivalence. UL basketball made one bad move five years ago, so we're two faced. Wrong.

I think all of us have been on the record about the Southall situation either here on our message boards.

Here's the newsflash for you. We all thought it was wrong that he was brought back. (By the way, he did serve a suspension). None of us thought that it was defensible. That's kind of the opposite of being two faced, isn't it?
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2011 12:23 AM by AstroCajun.)
02-20-2011 11:59 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Good for dahbeed in bringing in what the ULL administration did with the Southall case, as I'm sure he was getting ready his pop corn to watch this thread unfold. Question. Was Southall convicted of those accusations or just accused? Found out he spent one year in jail and the Cajun athletic department took him back. Hmmm....

http://gtsports.blogspot.com/2006/01/whe...thall.html

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3080068

After nearly a year in jail, center Michael Southall is putting up all-conference numbers for Louisiana-Lafayette. Louisiana-Lafayette must be proud. This week's Ten for Tuesday went looking for some long-forgotten players and found them ... still playing college basketball. Who knew?

1. Michael Southall: Southall has a rap sheet you wouldn't believe, but there he is, playing for the Ragin' Cajuns. It's probably a coincidence that he has an NBA body (6-foot-10, 236 pounds) and is averaging 14 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.6 blocks. Here's his rap sheet: Arrested in May 2000 for delivery and possession of marijuana. Arrested in April 2001 for violating his bond by running away from police. (Those two mistakes cost Southall scholarships at Kentucky and Georgia Tech and landed him on three years of probation.) At ULL in 2003 Southall played well but then was suspended for academic reasons and went afoul of his probation by testing positive for alcohol and marijuana, and skipping meetings with his probation counselor. That earned him a sentence of one year in jail. ULL took him back, but the Ragin-Cajuns are just 4-11. To which I say: good.

Come on, everybody deserves a 25th chance.
02-21-2011 11:50 AM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(02-21-2011 11:50 AM)FIUFanatic Wrote:  Good for dahbeed in bringing in what the ULL administration did with the Southall case, as I'm sure he was getting ready his pop corn to watch this thread unfold. Question. Was Southall convicted of those accusations or just accused? Found out he spent one year in jail and the Cajun athletic department took him back. Hmmm....

After nearly a year in jail, center Michael Southall is putting up all-conference numbers for Louisiana-Lafayette. Louisiana-Lafayette must be proud. This week's Ten for Tuesday went looking for some long-forgotten players and found them ... still playing college basketball. Who knew?

1. Michael Southall: Southall has a rap sheet you wouldn't believe, but there he is, playing for the Ragin' Cajuns. It's probably a coincidence that he has an NBA body (6-foot-10, 236 pounds) and is averaging 14 points, 7.6 rebounds and 3.6 blocks. Here's his rap sheet: Arrested in May 2000 for delivery and possession of marijuana. Arrested in April 2001 for violating his bond by running away from police. (Those two mistakes cost Southall scholarships at Kentucky and Georgia Tech and landed him on three years of probation.) At ULL in 2003 Southall played well but then was suspended for academic reasons and went afoul of his probation by testing positive for alcohol and marijuana, and skipping meetings with his probation counselor. That earned him a sentence of one year in jail. ULL took him back, but the Ragin-Cajuns are just 4-11. To which I say: good.

I guess in the end, Michael Southall= Isiah Thomas.

Love ya,

Z
02-21-2011 12:03 PM
FIU4Ever Offline

(02-21-2011 11:50 AM)FIUFanatic Wrote:  Good for dahbeed in bringing in what the ULL administration did with the Southall case, as I'm sure he was getting ready his pop corn to watch this thread unfold. Question. Was Southall convicted of those accusations or just accused? Found out he spent one year in jail and the Cajun athletic department took him back. Hmmm....

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao Well said Fanatic.
02-21-2011 04:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.