Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Our man BOP with another heartfelt blog...
Bookmark and Share
zeebart21 Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
Our man BOP with another heartfelt blog...
02-17-2011 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

RE: Our man BOP with another heartfelt blog...
(02-17-2011 12:52 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  http://espn1420.com/from-the-birds-nest-...ice-glory/

Z

Well put BOP, we've hammered FIU on the kid. I don't not know if he is guilty of the alleged crime or not, but he has certainly put the FIU baseball program in a negative light. Thank you for a balanced and well thought out piece.
02-17-2011 01:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Thank goodness for FIU, or this old timer would have nothing to look forward to in his day than his glass of metamucil, bowl of oatmeal and The Price is Right. 03-lmfao

Writing your opinion about us and the South Florida community carries about as much weight as what's carried on a fly's back (i.e. not much).

And I'm glad to see CajunT has climbed out from under the rock he's been hiding under these past few days. Coming up for a bit of fresh air?
02-17-2011 01:25 PM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(02-17-2011 01:25 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  Thank goodness for FIU, or this old timer would have nothing to look forward to in his day than his glass of metamucil, bowl of oatmeal and The Price is Right. 03-lmfao

Writing your opinion about us and the South Florida community carries about as much weight as what's carried on a fly's back (i.e. not much).

And I'm glad to see CajunT has climbed out from under the rock he's been hiding under these past few days. Coming up for a bit of fresh air?

wow... so what in your opinion is wrong with what BOP stated in his blog?

smooches,

Z
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2011 02:19 PM by zeebart21.)
02-17-2011 01:28 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-17-2011 01:25 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  Thank goodness for FIU, or this old timer would have nothing to look forward to in his day than his glass of metamucil, bowl of oatmeal and The Price is Right. 03-lmfao

Just to set the record straight, I do not have any problems which would cause me to have to take metamucil. I do enjoy oatmeal on occasion: a reversion to my childhood when a bowl of steaming oatmeal was a treat on a cold New England morning. I prefer mine with brown sugar, granola and a sliced banana. I work much too hard to have time for game shows.

And, again, for sake of accuracy, I also do not take high blood pressure medicine, do not suffer from Parkinson's or Alzheimer's and have passed every stress test I've ever taken.

I do take Nexium once a day for GERD. It's something that runs in my family and knows no age discrimination. It, in fact, nearly cost my younger brother his life nearly 12 years ago.

I also am not eligible for senior citizen discounts at most restaurants.

I realize that my opinion, at the end of the day, carries no weight. I hope that you realize, that as a sports journalist, I have the right to said opinion.

In my years as a sports journalist, I have found that when expressing opinions, those who respond fall into two categories: One is the man who points out inaccuracies which may have influenced my opinion. The other is the person who can't refute anything I've said and therefore results in personal attacks in order to deflect the matter at hand.

I hope you enjoy your weekend at the ball park. I hope Mr. Wittels breaks the record.

I look forward to my trip to FIU in April. I hope to see the FIU Fanatic there. I've met him and find him to be a great FIU fan. In fact, I'd like to buy him a beer while I'm in town.

You sir, are not invited.
02-17-2011 02:10 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(02-17-2011 02:10 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

Just to set the record straight, I do not have any problems which would cause me to have to take metamucil. I do enjoy oatmeal on occasion: a reversion to my childhood when a bowl of steaming oatmeal was a treat on a cold New England morning. I prefer mine with brown sugar, granola and a sliced banana. I work much too hard to have time for game shows.

And, again, for sake of accuracy, I also do not take high blood pressure medicine, do not suffer from Parkinson's or Alzheimer's and have passed every stress test I've ever taken.

I do take Nexium once a day for GERD. It's something that runs in my family and knows no age discrimination. It, in fact, nearly cost my younger brother his life nearly 12 years ago.

I realize that my opinion, at the end of the day, carries no weight. I hope that you realize, that as a sports journalist, I have the right to said opinion.

In my years as a sports journalist, I have found that when expressing opinions, those who respond fall into two categories: One is the man who points out inaccuracies which may have influenced my opinion. The other is the person who can't refute anything I've said and therefore results in personal attacks in order to deflect the matter at hand.

I hope you enjoy your weekend at the ball park. I hope Mr. Wittels breaks the record.

I look forward to my trip to FIU in April. I hope to see the FIU Fanatic there. I've met him and find him to be a great FIU fan. In fact, I'd like to buy him a beer while I'm in town.

"The other is the person who can't refute anything I've said and therefore results in personal attacks in order to deflect the matter at hand."

I forgot, which one is he? 03-lmfao
02-17-2011 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

No hiding FIUFan, just moved on for the sake of others that grew tired of the back & forth. I'd be happy to re-visit the topic of ThugU anytime you want.05-mafia
02-17-2011 02:22 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-17-2011 02:22 PM)CajunT Wrote:  
No hiding FIUFan, just moved on for the sake of others that grew tired of the back & forth. I'd be happy to re-visit the topic of ThugU anytime you want.05-mafia

LOL. Anytime.
02-17-2011 02:30 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

Allright, well let me try then...A. The president of the university (previous and current) did not, in fact, introduce Coach Thomas as Thompson, that was the previous provost (who is now the president of Cleveland State University).
B. In fact, Garret has not been officially charged, there will be an "inquiry" on April 18 to determine if he will be charged at that time he MIGHT be charged. In fact, over 85% of rape accusations in the Bahamas never even make it to trial.
C. If you want to start comparing situations that actually relate to each other. You know for example Kobe Bryant having to fight a rape charge against him while being allowed to play for the Lakers is equal to Wittels having to fight a rape allegation while playing baseball at FIU.

It is what it is, you can have your opinion and mass release it, but you are being disingenous by not giving out the complete picture of the situation and then just blatantly taking pot shots at the University administration.
02-17-2011 03:10 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-17-2011 02:10 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Just to set the record straight, I do not have any problems which would cause me to have to take metamucil. I do enjoy oatmeal on occasion: a reversion to my childhood when a bowl of steaming oatmeal was a treat on a cold New England morning. I prefer mine with brown sugar, granola and a sliced banana. I work much too hard to have time for game shows.

Sorry, didn't see this diatribe earlier 03-puke

So you get dazed and confused by the big city and the complexity of this diverse community...welcome to the club. You walk into a BK and then proceed to pass judgement on the 2.5 million people in the community. Excuse us for not meeting your expectaions...then again, who really cares what you think.

And to the guy who got caught promoting the bold-face lie; your comments have been and will forever be tainted. 04-cheers
02-17-2011 03:52 PM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
First off, I would love to take on BOP's offer for beer or two (second's on me at least), as you are a good guy as well and unfortunately we haven't met in years.

Also, I agree that if Garrett did commit the crimes he is accused of, he gets what he deserves.

While I see, however, BOP's attempt to be as middle grounded as possible, and I think he found close to it, I don't agree at all with the conclusion reached by him in his OPINION. My opinion is that FIU must know a lot more of the case to what is being said, and...as BOP states as well from actual personal interactions with the kid....all indications are that, not only is Wittels a stand up, respectful and humble guy....but that facts would point to this case not going any further than the date of that inquiry, most likely and even less likely result in conviction.

That the case has put Wittels....and FIU as well...in the middle of a PR nightmare...geez....in the middle of one of the most amazing runs in the history of NCAA baseball? Undoubtedly. I totally agree. But as much as I agree with his assertion that GW should not be kicked out of the team, nor suspended for an indefinite period of time, then there's no need to suspend him for any period of time, especially "selectively" picking the first weekend to do so.

I know that some of the good (and the not so good too) people at UL don't have a good history with Turtle Thomas, since his days at the school that is less of an afterthought in Southwestern Louisiana (LSU), but I believe that the liberal use of the word "guilty" more aptly applies to some people (not BOP in this case, btw) that are quick to judge and reach conclusions before having a fair look at things, and using that word against Garrett is just unfair at this moment in time.

However, regardless of what an opinion of a well-thought and well meaning individula like BOP has, or the opinion of some people with pure hate and envy towards his achievements on the field might also have, the situation now is that ESPN is in town to broadcast the 3 game series where FIU...a Sun Belt Conference team that won the conference tournament last season.... plays another tough Louisiana school, and where Wittels will be playing and attempting to continue his streak. I just hope we win the series from SELA and that icing on the cake would be Wittels breaking the record.
02-17-2011 04:32 PM
Advertisement

BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-17-2011 03:52 PM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(02-17-2011 02:10 PM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  Just to set the record straight, I do not have any problems which would cause me to have to take metamucil. I do enjoy oatmeal on occasion: a reversion to my childhood when a bowl of steaming oatmeal was a treat on a cold New England morning. I prefer mine with brown sugar, granola and a sliced banana. I work much too hard to have time for game shows.

So you get dazed and confused by the big city and the complexity of this diverse community...welcome to the club. You walk into a BK and then proceed to pass judgement on the 2.5 million people in the community. Excuse us for not meeting your expectaions...then again, who really cares what you think.

And to the guy who got caught promoting the bold-face lie; your comments have been and will forever be tainted. 04-cheers

I have no idea where your BK comment comes from. I have never been in a Burger King in Miami. I have been travelling to the city since you were accepted into this league and in fact, have never entered a fast food place. I'm much more into Cuban food.

So, while you're acting like a big man, at least know who you're talking to before you point fingers.
02-18-2011 09:00 AM
zeebart21 Offline
All American

(02-18-2011 09:00 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

I have no idea where your BK comment comes from. I have never been in a Burger King in Miami. I have been travelling to the city since you were accepted into this league and in fact, have never entered a fast food place. I'm much more into Cuban food.

So, while you're acting like a big man, at least know who you're talking to before you point fingers.

Its on me, BOP... Remember when we (me, jr, et al) went to Miami to watch the FIU/UL basketball game a few years back? After the game the kids were hungry and saw a BK across the street from FIU. Begrudgingly we went in. The youngsters were hungry and unaware of thier surroundings....me?....I kept my hands on my wallet and and eye on the hubcaps of the rental car... Sorry, it is what it is....

Z
02-18-2011 09:12 AM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(02-18-2011 09:00 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  

+1 :bustacap:
02-18-2011 10:20 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-18-2011 10:20 AM)CajunT Wrote:  +1 :bustacap:

:tomcat:

Right back at ya' spin doctor.
02-18-2011 10:48 AM
FIUFanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-18-2011 10:48 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(02-18-2011 10:20 AM)CajunT Wrote:  +1 :bustacap:

:tomcat:

Right back at ya' spin doctor.

Beware of made up stories, incompetence, lies, deflections (like BK story example by defense "attorney").....l.04-cheers
02-18-2011 11:09 AM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-18-2011 09:12 AM)zeebart21 Wrote:  Sorry, it is what it is....
Z

Hey, no problem, I'd do the same things in some areas of Miami, esp. at a BK.

But to begin an entire self-righteous diatribe on a school and community with 'it's not easy being FIU' and 'I don't care for Miami' invites a rebuttal.

Why not put those negatives at the end, by putting them at the beginning it sets the tone for the entire aritcle. At the end you still get your point across but you don't taint the entire article with your bias right from the get-go.

But hey, I'm sure this 'professional' writer already knows this.
02-18-2011 11:16 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-18-2011 11:16 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
Z

But to begin an entire self-righteous diatribe on a school and community with 'it's not easy being FIU' and 'I don't care for Miami' invites a rebuttal.

Why not put those negatives at the end, by putting them at the beginning it sets the tone for the entire aritcle. At the end you still get your point across but you don't taint the entire article with your bias right from the get-go.

How on earth is he being self-righteous?

He's on the record as saying Wittles is a fine young man who in all probability will be exonerated when all's said and done and one who acknowledged poor judgment that casts your university in a poor light. It's fair to say that it's also not the first time that it's happened to your program, which is what Jay's pointing out.

Your problem is that he's calling out your program when it had the opportunity to send the right message but chose not to. So what does this tell your other players?

If Wittles would have sat, his streak is still intact. It's a small punishment, but it sends a message that behavior that reflects poorly on the school is not tolerated.

Look, every school has to deal with these types of issues from time to time.

It's how you deal with it that makes the difference.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2011 11:32 AM by AstroCajun.)
02-18-2011 11:26 AM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

(02-18-2011 11:26 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  
(02-18-2011 11:16 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
Z

How on earth is he being self-righteous?

He's on the record as saying Wittles is a fine young man who in all probability will be exonerated when all's said and done and one who acknowledged poor judgment that casts your university in a poor light. It's fair to say that it's also not the first time that it's happened to your program, which is what Jay's pointing out.

Your problem is that he's calling out your program when it had the opportunity to send the right message but chose not to. So what does this tell your other players?

If Wittles would have sat, his streak is still intact. It's a small punishment, but it sends a message that behavior that reflects poorly on the school is not tolerated.

Geez, you must have missed sensitiveity training CajunAstro! I hear FIUfan has a certificate in sensitiveity training and is willing to teach a new class this semester. You shouldn’t miss this opportunity, the course covers all subjects pertaining to FIU athletics including how spin poor administration decisions and attack any opinion piece that is not a fluff job by an FIU insider. The course is now available on line!04-rock
02-18-2011 11:38 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-18-2011 11:26 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  How on earth is he being self-righteous?
Your problem is that he's calling out your program when it had the opportunity to send the right message but chose not to.

Correct, he is presuming to know more about the sitiuation (ergo calling it the 'wrong' decision, "And, they made the wrong decision") than the althletic department whose main job is to run the sports programs. Only a self-righteous person would presume to know more about a situation than those whose job is to make these decisions.

As to CajunT, I'm sorry that you have so destroyed your credibility as to need to bold your comments and attack everything one says. 05-mafia
02-18-2011 12:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.