Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Former FBS Conference Rule
Bookmark and Share
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
Former FBS Conference Rule
I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I, like arkstfan, could answer this question

As we all know, the WAC will be able to invite members to FBS even if they fail to meet the NCAA definition of FBS conference thanks to the new rules that allow former 1-A/FBS conferences to invite members to FBS.

My question is would this apply to the Missouri Valley, Big West, Southern, Southland, and the Ivy League as well since all 5 of those conferences used to be 1-A/FBS.
02-11-2011 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
RE: Former FBS Conference Rule
(02-11-2011 10:31 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I, like arkstfan, could answer this question

As we all know, the WAC will be able to invite members to FBS even if they fail to meet the NCAA definition of FBS conference thanks to the new rules that allow former 1-A/FBS conferences to invite members to FBS.

My question is would this apply to the Missouri Valley, Big West, Southern, Southland, and the Ivy League as well since all 5 of those conferences used to be 1-A/FBS.

Can't speak for the others but the Southland was never a 1-A/FBS conference. They have been Division 1 (and there is a difference) until the 1-A's and 1-AA's were created. The SLC then elected to go to 1-AA.
02-11-2011 12:34 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2011 12:34 PM)SOT1977 Wrote:  
(02-11-2011 10:31 AM)solohawks Wrote:  I was hoping someone with more knowledge than I, like arkstfan, could answer this question

Can't speak for the others but the Southland was never a 1-A/FBS conference. They have been Division 1 (and there is a difference) until the 1-A's and 1-AA's were created. The SLC then elected to go to 1-AA.

i know its just wikipedia but see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southland_Conference

Historically, the Southland's successful football heritage has sustained itself through numerous membership and classification changes. Originally an NAIA conference, the Southland joined the NCAA College Division in 1968. The College Division was re-named NCAA Division II in 1973, and the league played two seasons in that class. The Southland became an NCAA Division I league in 1975, and was a charter member of Division I-A (now Division I FBS) when Division I split for football in 1978. It moved to the FCS ranks in 1982, where it has remained to this day.

During its tenure as a Division I and I-A conference from 1975–81, the Southland Conference was instrumental in the startup of the Independence Bowl in 1976
02-11-2011 12:53 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
As to the rule, WAC cannot invite new FBS members because it USED to be an FBS league but rather because it has enough members at the time the invitation is extended to meet the definition of an FBS league. Once Fresno and Nevada leave officially, the WAC would be short of members, that's why they need to get another invite out and accepted before that happens.

Southland was most certainly a I-A league. When Division I football was split I-A/I-AA in 1978 SLC was I-A. Was involuntarily reclassified I-AA after the 1981 season.

Before the Division I, II, III structure was created it was University Division, College Division I, and College Division II. The Southland was College Divsion I in football until the 1973 restructure but was University Division in basketball starting in I think the 70-71 season. In 1973 and 1974 the SLC was Division II for football but Division I for basketball and in 1975 was Division I for all sports.

Of the schools in the Southland that final season in I-A, the only ones that remain there are Texas-Arlington (returned after being expelled in the 80's for dropping football), McNeese State, and Lamar (returned after stint in American South / Sun Belt and dropped football along the way). Arkansas State, Louisiana and Louisiana Tech obviously are no longer there.
02-11-2011 02:01 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

thanks for the reply arkstfan!

I guess I am confused as to the new rule 20.4.2.1.1 on page 275
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/legislative_...ements.pdf

The rule state that in order to move up an institution must have
An invitation from a current FBS conference
OR
"A conference that previously met the definition of the FBS Conference"

I figured that rule was added to give the WAC a chance to come back into the FBS fold should they drop out after the latest realignment.
But am I correct in the 5 conferences I listed above also previously met the definition of an FBS conference?
And if you apply it to the WAC you also have to apply the rule to these conferences as well, correct?
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2011 02:26 PM by solohawks.)
02-11-2011 02:25 PM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(02-11-2011 02:01 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  As to the rule, WAC cannot invite new FBS members because it USED to be an FBS league but rather because it has enough members at the time the invitation is extended to meet the definition of an FBS league. Once Fresno and Nevada leave officially, the WAC would be short of members, that's why they need to get another invite out and accepted before that happens.

Do they need an FBS program or can they meet the membership requirement by adding another FCS?
02-11-2011 02:43 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I emailed the Southern Conference Commissioner hoping to get some clarification since I figured he would have more solid information on the matter than the average person.

Here is our exchange:

To: John Iamarino
Subject: Upgrading to FBS

Commissioner Iamario

As you are aware, new NCAA rule 20.4.2.1.1 on page 275 (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/legislative_...ements.pdf) allows for a Conference that previously met the definition of an FBS conference to issue an invitation to an institution interested in upgrading to FBS. My question is that since the Southern Conference was a 1-A/FBS Conference in the early 80's, would that ability to extend invitations apply to the Southern Conference and would a school like Appalachian State be able to upgrade without having to leave the Southern Conference?

Thank you,

HIS RESPONSE

Thank you for your interest in the Southern Conference. The legislation you refer to deals specifically with conferences that were established – and named -- as FBS conferences (I-A at the time) when the NCAA reorganized its governance structure in 1998. If one of them falls below the minimum standards for the subdivision, it has two years to get itself “whole” and that process would allow invitations to FCS institutions.

As recently as last month, it was reiterated by the NCAA staff that current FCS conferences are not permitted to move to the FBS as a group. FCS institutions may move to the FBS only with an invitation from a current FBS conference that meets all subdivision standards, or one that is in the temporary condition I described in the paragraph above.

I hope this answer is helpful to you.

John P. Iamarino

Commissioner

Southern Conference
02-11-2011 07:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.