Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Whose Program will USA effect most
WKU - few FBS caliber in KY must look South
MTSU - another FBS neighbor recruiting the South
UL-L recruits heavily in neighboring Miss.
Troy - hungry jag' in their own backyard
Other
[Show Results]

Whose Program will USA's Ascendency hurt most
Bookmark and Share
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
Whose Program will USA's Ascendency hurt most
As we are seeing USA pull recruits from other programs, it's only natural, that over time, another FBS program will dilute the talent pool for all FBS'ers in the region.

Which program will feel the largest effect?
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 10:40 AM by FIUFan.)
02-01-2011 10:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Whose Program will USA's Ascendency hurt most
I voted Troy, but probably would have voted USM if it were given. I know your options were limited to our league, but I think the two programs to hurt the most are USM and Troy. Not sure what order, but USM has always heavily recruited Mobile, and Troy recruits Mobile and South Alabama. I think we affect USM more though.
02-01-2011 10:43 AM
Troy87 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Troy
New Orleans Bowl
(02-01-2011 10:43 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I voted Troy, but probably would have voted USM if it were given. I know your options were limited to our league, but I think the two programs to hurt the most are USM and Troy. Not sure what order, but USM has always heavily recruited Mobile, and Troy recruits Mobile and South Alabama. I think we affect USM more though.

I agree Troy and USM are affected the most. And in some measure, Alabama and LSU.

South Alabama and Northwest Florida have always been fertile grounds for USM, and in more recent years, Troy has gotten a good many. LSU has always been pretty heavy in the Mobile area, and so has Alabama. I don't think Mobile itself hurts Troy that much, but Baldwin County and NW Florida will see a few of those guys who went to Troy, now head west to USA.

And this isn't just for athletes either. Troy has a presence in NW Florida with campuses in Pensacola, Ft. Walton and Panama City, but I think there may be some sway toward USA once they get their program up and going, especially from the Pensacola area. Once the football program has some success, which I think it will, then students will be drawn that direction to follow the program.

Mind you, I don't think these kinds of affects are going to happen for about 5 years or more.
02-01-2011 10:56 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-01-2011 10:33 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  As we are seeing USA pull recruits from other programs, it's only natural, that over time, another FBS program will dilute the talent pool for all FBS'ers in the region.

Which program will feel the largest effect?

It's a dumb poll for two reasons 1) it assumes that USA's "ascent" will in fact harm other programs and 2) it doesn't include all schools.

That said, I voted Troy because SA's in their backyard.
02-01-2011 10:56 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-01-2011 10:56 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  It's a dumb poll for two reasons 1) it assumes that USA's "ascent" will in fact harm other programs and 2) it doesn't include all schools.

Really; 1.) 85 FBS scholarships won't hurt other programs in the area? Let's see you prove that. 2.) Who else would you include? ULM, USM, UAB, some of the SEC's? The question said which program would be hurt "most". Since they are a SB school in the center of our footprint, I went with SBC schools.
02-01-2011 11:38 AM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
i don't see how it will hurt us at all.

willie just pulled 2 from the panhandle i believe and has bradenton on 'lockdown'....lol.

we'll be more souf flarda than souf flarda is when willie gets done.
02-01-2011 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-01-2011 11:40 AM)dahbeed Wrote:  i don't see how it will hurt us at all.
willie just pulled 2 from the panhandle i believe and has bradenton on 'lockdown'....lol.

Here's something funny; I went to high school in Bradenton and know Southeast and Manatee very well. Great kids come out of that area every year. Not sure what flavor kool-aid you're feeding those kids...but it's working.

p.s. also noticed a kid from Riverview and two from across the bay in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area.
02-01-2011 11:48 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama

If this "banner" recruiting season results into more BSC victories for y'all, then all the better.
02-01-2011 11:49 AM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
You're right FIUFAN....ever so slightly, it hurts all of our programs. With more programs looking for FCS talent, the talent pool inevitably shrinks.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 11:51 AM by Fanof49ASU.)
02-01-2011 11:50 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(02-01-2011 11:38 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 10:56 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  It's a dumb poll for two reasons 1) it assumes that USA's "ascent" will in fact harm other programs and 2) it doesn't include all schools.

Really; 1.) 85 FBS scholarships won't hurt other programs in the area? Let's see you prove that. 2.) Who else would you include? ULM, USM, UAB, some of the SEC's? The question said which program would be hurt "most". Since they are a SB school in the center of our footprint, I went with SBC schools.

I think you're foolish to think that your school is immune.

I was talking about the four other SBC schools, though of all 8, NT probably is the least affected.
02-01-2011 11:50 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

(02-01-2011 11:50 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  I think you're foolish to think that your school is immune.
I was talking about the four other SBC schools, though of all 8, NT probably is the least affected.

I think like a rock in a pond, the further you are away the less the effect. The SFL and Texas schools are most immune, the reverberations will be felt most strongly near USA. Wonder if Troy can remain an elite SB team with USA eating their lunch.
02-01-2011 12:05 PM
Advertisement

dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(02-01-2011 11:48 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  

Here's something funny; I went to high school in Bradenton and know Southeast and Manatee very well. Great kids come out of that area every year. Not sure what flavor kool-aid you're feeding those kids...but it's working.

p.s. also noticed a kid from Riverview and two from across the bay in the Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area.

thanks for the input....willie is from bradenton so he knows the exact flavor of kool-aid they like down there. assistant coach raymond woodie is from the sarasota area so he helps out too.
02-01-2011 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Well, quite frankly, it depends on where your school is recruiting and not so much how close or far away you are from Mobile.

Based on recruiting classes so far this year:

ULM: La/Ark/TX/OK
ULL: La/Miss
FIU: Fl
FAU: Fl
NT: Tx
Troy: Al/Ga/Ms
WKU: Fl
MTSU: Ga/Tn/Fl
ASU: TN/Ark

USA: AL/FL

So, those teams hitting Florida and Alabama hard will be competition for the Jaguars for the comparable athletes that we are all looking at in recruiting. Now, FIU and FAU are sitting amongst so much talent down in south Florida, I doubt they will be effected. Look out Troy!!
02-01-2011 12:52 PM
trojanbrutha Offline
Beltbbs Troy Football INsider

I Root For: TROY
I appreciate everyone's concerns, but TROY's recruiting will be affected minimally. We don't get many players from that area because of USM mainly. The few that we get are much appreciated, but not to the point that it'll cripple the program. We are in the Panhandle, west GA, and Monroe, LA recruiting. So, they'll get a few; we'll get a few and S. Miss will get the majority.
02-01-2011 01:12 PM
NCowl Offline
Go Owls!

I Root For: FAU
(02-01-2011 12:52 PM)InjunJohn Wrote:  So, those teams hitting Florida and Alabama hard will be competition for the Jaguars for the comparable athletes that we are all looking at in recruiting. Now, FIU and FAU are sitting amongst so much talent down in south Florida, I doubt they will be effected. Look out Troy!!

yeah, we usually have 1 or 2 out-of-staters... but this year, our class is 100% Florida Talent!!!! 04-cheers

GO OWLS!!!
02-01-2011 01:27 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
*******error
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2011 02:28 PM by Fanof49ASU.)
02-01-2011 02:24 PM
Advertisement

FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
(02-01-2011 01:12 PM)trojanbrutha Wrote:  I appreciate everyone's concerns, but TROY's recruiting will be affected minimally. We don't get many players from that area because of USM mainly. The few that we get are much appreciated, but not to the point that it'll cripple the program. We are in the Panhandle, west GA, and Monroe, LA recruiting. So, they'll get a few; we'll get a few and S. Miss will get the majority.

USA recruiting will mainly affect USM and UAB. It will also affect a few of the HBCUs. Alabama State, Jackson State and maybe FAMU. It might affect Troy marginally.
02-01-2011 04:06 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I don't think it hurts Troy too bad. Like others said, Troy doesn't recruit heavily around Mobile except in Pensacola. They do recruit the same local JUCO's though.
02-01-2011 10:16 PM
CajunT Offline
Basement Dweller Hater

I Root For: Louisiana
(02-01-2011 12:52 PM)InjunJohn Wrote:  Well, quite frankly, it depends on where your school is recruiting and not so much how close or far away you are from Mobile.

So, those teams hitting Florida and Alabama hard will be competition for the Jaguars for the comparable athletes that we are all looking at in recruiting. Now, FIU and FAU are sitting amongst so much talent down in south Florida, I doubt they will be effected. Look out Troy!!

UL will recruit LA/TX/MS/AL
02-02-2011 01:06 AM
InjunJohn Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(02-02-2011 01:06 AM)CajunT Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 12:52 PM)InjunJohn Wrote:  Well, quite frankly, it depends on where your school is recruiting and not so much how close or far away you are from Mobile.

UL will recruit LA/TX/MS/AL

I was just looking at this year's recruiting and didn't go into other years. A snapshot if you will.
02-02-2011 12:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.