there listed as indepentent in standings on cbssports
01-14-2011 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
RE: UNO
(01-14-2011 04:23 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  is the Unervisty of New Orleans still considered div 1
there listed as indepentent in standings on cbssports

They have a 2 year transitional period before they become an actual D-III member. Like Centenary, they count as a D-1 game even though they've stopped issuing new scholarships and they have declared a drop down to D-III.

If you look at their schedule and read the SI article about their struggles to field a full team... It's a painful process for them.
01-14-2011 04:37 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-14-2011 04:37 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  Like Centenary, they count as a D-1 game even though they've stopped issuing new scholarships and they have declared a drop down to D-III.
I have no idea if this is an error, or what, but for some reason the RPI websites and the Sagarin ratings have been counting Tulane's win against Centenary as a Division I victory, but not Tulane's win against UNO. In reality, both teams are playing with all (or almost all) non-scholarship athletes, but for whatever technical reason, it seems that Centenary still "counts" this season and UNO doesn't.

I didn't see the Sports Illustrated article. Is there a link?
01-14-2011 04:44 PM
thetastygreek Offline
Special Teams

UNO Article.

Joe Pasternak deserves better. Buzz Williams deserves to die of syphilis. Yesterday. For what he did to UNO, for what he did to D.J. Newbill... That guy is a piece of human garbage and I'd rather see Dave Bliss coaching D-1 basketball than Buzz Williams.
01-14-2011 04:54 PM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
Centenary is playing its last season of D-1 basketball right now. They announced their move to D-III two years ago so the process has been ongoing since. When both men's and women's basketball finish their seasons the Gents will be then be officially D-III.
01-14-2011 05:09 PM
Advertisement

troy4ever21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Troy & SBC
I miss UNO. 03-weeping
01-14-2011 05:10 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
You guys know that UNO is now looking at D-II and scrapping the plans for football. Centenary snagged the 16th spot in the ASWC but McMurry is appling to D-II which will open it up again. If D-II is the landing spot of UNO they have plenty of options. The Gulf South lost 6 members to a new conf. and the LSC lost all of the Okla schools except Camron. Heartland only has 8 members, they could take them too. So 2 Texas based conf. and a Southeast based conf. for options. They would be the only La. school in D-II
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2011 07:08 PM by Fresno St. Alum.)
01-14-2011 07:07 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(01-14-2011 07:07 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  You guys know that UNO is now looking at D-II and scrapping the plans for football. Centenary snagged the 16th spot in the ASWC but McMurry is appling to D-II which will open it up again. If D-II is the landing spot of UNO they have plenty of options. The Gulf South lost 6 members to a new conf. and the LSC lost all of the Okla schools except Camron. Heartland only has 8 members, they could take them too. So 2 Texas based conf. and a Southeast based conf. for options. They would be the only La. school in D-II

With all the Arkansas Schools gone, UNO would be out of place in the Gulf South.
01-14-2011 08:08 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(01-14-2011 05:10 PM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  I miss UNO. 03-weeping

I never thought I'd say it, but I miss UNO too.

It was a fun rivalry.
01-14-2011 09:05 PM
Advertisement

Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
If they go D2 don't they need scholarship players? And if they need scholarship players then wouldn't the roster of non-scholarship players that they have now be another setback?

[Image: uno-cards.png]
01-14-2011 09:13 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2011 08:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-14-2011 07:07 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  You guys know that UNO is now looking at D-II and scrapping the plans for football. Centenary snagged the 16th spot in the ASWC but McMurry is appling to D-II which will open it up again. If D-II is the landing spot of UNO they have plenty of options. The Gulf South lost 6 members to a new conf. and the LSC lost all of the Okla schools except Camron. Heartland only has 8 members, they could take them too. So 2 Texas based conf. and a Southeast based conf. for options. They would be the only La. school in D-II

With all the Arkansas Schools gone, UNO would be out of place in the Gulf South.

Delta St. is close by on the Miss/La border. Christian Brothers is in Memphis.

Heartland goes across TX, OK, KAN, ARK

Everyone in the LSC plays football except for Camron so I don't think they'll take UNO. GSC and Heartland are their best bets.
01-15-2011 03:04 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I have heard that UNO is dropping to Division III, not Division II
01-15-2011 10:11 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2011 10:11 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I have heard that UNO is dropping to Division III, not Division II

I don't make stuff up, I report what I read and hear. D-III is still an option but now they are looking at D-II as well and not starting football if they move to D-II.

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/uno/549...ii-ii.html
01-15-2011 02:54 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I didn't accuse you of making stuff up.

Relax, everything's okay.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2011 03:03 PM by Native Georgian.)
01-15-2011 03:03 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2011 03:03 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I didn't accuse you of making stuff up.

Relax, everything's okay.

I know, but there are so many on every message board that just say stuff to get a rise outta people, that would say they are going D-II w/o anything to back it up. I'm not one of those.
01-15-2011 03:09 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

Having lived in New Orleans for 4 years and nearby (Mobile) for about 15 years, I really hate to see what's happening to UNO athletics.

I know that for people around the US, "Katrina" was just something that came and went about 5 years ago, sort of like a reality show on TV that got cancelled for low ratings. But for the City of New Orleans and the surrounding area, the longterm effects are still with them every day, and will remain with them for years to come. The end of Division I athletics at UNO is just one example.
01-15-2011 03:27 PM
Atlanta Trojan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: TROY
(01-15-2011 03:27 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Having lived in New Orleans for 4 years and nearby (Mobile) for about 15 years, I really hate to see what's happening to UNO athletics.

I know that for people around the US, "Katrina" was just something that came and went about 5 years ago, sort of like a reality show on TV that got cancelled for low ratings. But for the City of New Orleans and the surrounding area, the longterm effects are still with them every day, and will remain with them for years to come. The end of Division I athletics at UNO is just one example.

Hey atleast you guys won the superbowl.....02-13-banana

now its the Falcons turn!04-cheers
01-15-2011 03:38 PM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(01-15-2011 03:38 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Hey atleast you guys won the superbowl.....02-13-banana
now its the Falcons turn!04-cheers
I'll be at the Georgia Dome tonight for the Packers game.

Thankfully the MARTA trains are running on a normal schedule again
01-15-2011 03:47 PM
stebo Offline
2nd String

(01-15-2011 03:27 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  Having lived in New Orleans for 4 years and nearby (Mobile) for about 15 years, I really hate to see what's happening to UNO athletics.

The only reason that UNO lost their conference and dropped down to Div III is because the student body voted to not pay a fee and do away with their athletic program. If the students do not want athletics, it is their right to vote it out. Tulane was in a similar situation, rallied - and made the changes needed.
01-15-2011 04:02 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

(01-15-2011 04:02 PM)stebo Wrote:  The only reason that UNO lost their conference and dropped down to Div III is because the student body voted to not pay a fee and do away with their athletic program.
If not for Katrina, UNO would never have been in the position where its athletic program hinged on a single, one-time vote of the student body.

Quote:If the students do not want athletics, it is their right to vote it out.
I agree 100%
01-15-2011 11:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.