bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Big East not star-studded, but it's stacked
FOXsports.com Wrote:Big East not star-studded, but it's stacked
RICK BOZICH
FOX Sports
Updated: Jan 13, 2011 7:24 PM ET

Big East basketball is not overrun with NBA lottery picks this winter. Wesley Johnson and Greg Monroe don’t live here any more. Georgetown guard Austin Freeman, the coaches’ preseason pick for Player of the Year, is likely to hear his name called in the second round.

The best freshmen in America? Don’t look to the Big East for an answer to Jared Sullinger, Terrence Jones or Josh Selby. Not one Big East freshman ranks in the top 20 in the league in either scoring or rebounding. Only veterans need apply.

But in a season in which the league was supposed to retreat, the Big East simply persists in delivering rugged, formidable basketball teams.

Every night, you’re going to play a tough team and it’s going to be a great atmosphere,” Villanova coach Jay Wright said.

Call the roll:

Five teams parked in the top 10 of the latest Associated Press Top 25. Three more sitting in the Top 25. Eleven teams that believe they can crack the NCAA tournament.

Consider the message delivered by the daily RPI updates. This is no misprint: On Thursday, the RPI computer formula showed Big East teams ranked second, fifth, sixth, seventh, ninth, 14th, 15th and 16th. That’s half the current Sweet Sixteen. No other league has more than two in the RPI top 16.

No wonder that on the eve of Big East play opening, University of Louisville coach Rick Pitino pulled out some poster board and a marker and started making a list of where Big East teams are positioned.

It’s mind-boggling to me to look at this and see this in what we all thought would be somewhat of a rebuilding year,” Pitino said.

You can’t dwell on a loss in the Big East,” Louisville point guard Peyton Siva said. “If you dwell on a loss, you’re going to get popped right in the mouth the next game and you’re going to lose.”

Feel free to post your Big East-bashing comments. This is not to say the Big East is flawless, because it isn’t. Nobody is going gaga about the Southeastern Conference, yet Kentucky and Tennessee have hung four defeats on Big East teams, including the Vols’ victories against Pittsburgh and Villanova, teams that expect to contend for the league title. The Big East’s nonleague record against teams in the Top 25 is 10-9.

But in a season in which as many as 20 teams believe they can make a serious push toward the Final Four, the Big East has fewer flaws to overlook than the competition. Big East teams have won nearly 80 percent of their out-of-conference games and 62.5 percent (25-15) against the five other BCS leagues.

The Pac-10 isn’t even the best league in the West. The Mountain West is. The Big 12 lacks the depth to put persistent pressure on Kansas. The East Division of the Southeastern Conference doesn’t get enough love nationally, but the SEC West never turns its attention or resources from football. It’s a basketball embarrassment.

The Big Ten keeps waiting for Michigan State to perform like the top-five team many predicted. Hasn’t happened yet. Purdue keeps delivering, but you wonder if the Boilermakers really have the goods for a three-weekend run in the NCAA tournament without Robbie Hummel.

The Atlantic Coast Conference would be thrilled to put four of its dozen teams in the NCAA tournament. The Big East is projecting to push 10 of its 16 teams into the field.

The Big East is so hard in the half-court to score baskets,” Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin said. “You’ve got big, strong bodies and great coaches and teams that know how to defend you. You can’t just rely on making jump shots.”

You have a lot of veteran teams,” Pitino said. “Villanova is a veteran team. Syracuse has got a lot of players back. Pittsburgh’s got their whole team back.”

Indeed. Those three teams that Pitino identified have separated themselves from the pack as the only unbeatens in conference play.

But Connecticut, picked 10th before the season, has been solid because Kemba Walker has played like the front-runner for national player of the year. Cincinnati has its best team in Cronin’s five seasons. The Bearcats have depth and can defend.

Notre Dame and Louisville can make 3-point shots with anybody. Don’t sleep on Marquette. Georgetown and West Virginia have started slowly in the league, but both have solid computer rankings. Heck, Jeff Sagarin’s computer formula has 11 Big East teams ranked in the national top 50.

There are a lot of really, really good teams in the Big East,” Pitino said. “But who’s the best? I don’t know. I think it’s going to be who’s standing at the end. It’s really an incredible conference.”
01-14-2011 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

thecomet89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WVU
RE: Big East not star-studded, but it's stacked
Great post! I will continue to say that the BEast is THE BEST Basketball conference in the nation.
01-14-2011 05:48 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
in short we are THE ****
01-14-2011 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse
The Big East has a lot of talent just not a lot of the super star lottery pick types. This high level of talent forces the other teams in the Big East to get better to compete with them. The fact that the Big East has been the top basketball league for many years attracts even more talent to the Big East teams. Most kids want to play in the NBA and they want to go against the best, as that will give them the best chance of becoming an NBA player.
01-16-2011 11:05 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
Good post, Bit. You know its a good poster child for a 12/20 Big East. 04-cheers
01-16-2011 12:00 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It's one of the few articles I've seen that really points out the overall strength of The BEast in basketball. No other reporters in the major markets have mentioned this. It's almost like the media is trying to downplay this until the conference schedule evens things out a mite...
01-16-2011 12:06 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.