Way to GO CATS!
12-24-2010 03:35 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
RE: 4 star RB Poteat to Bearcats !
I know people are all excited because the kid is a 4 star or 5 star.

Just remember, Zach Frazer was a 4 star or 5 star recruit and Jordan Todman is a 2 star or no star recruit. Todman is a 1st team All-American running back. Had the recruiting experts got it right, he should have been a 5 star or at least top 3 in his class. Who would you rather have on the team today? I withhold judgement until I see the kid play on the field against other D1A athletes.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2010 04:05 PM by SF Husky.)
12-24-2010 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Not every 5 star or 4 star recruit works out and some are overrated. While a lot of 2 and 3 star recruits are underrated for various reasons: played small school HS football, comes from an area not known for HS football. I'd take a team with all 4 and 5 stars over a team with all 2 and 3 stars any day. Not saying that teams littered with 2 and 3 star talent don't work out. Boise St, Utah, TCU, Cincinnati, UConn, Louisville(under Petrino) all are classic examples that you can get it done with 2 and 3 star talent. But when we're talking about National Title contenders the past 10 years and almost every school is littered with 4 and 5 star talent from USC to Florida to Auburn to Texas to Oklahoma to Ohio State.

You're right about one thing. Toddman was definitely an underrated RB and is doing wonders. Edsell knows how to find those diamond in the ruff RB's no doubt.
12-24-2010 04:19 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-24-2010 04:19 PM)animus Wrote:  You're right about one thing. Toddman was definitely an underrated RB and is doing wonders. Edsell knows how to find those diamond in the ruff RB's no doubt.

I don't think he is a diamond in the ruff at all. Anyone can see the talent from the 1st day he was on the field. I don't think Edsall is some magician who can turn some no star player into a NFL player. I believe he just knows how to evaluate talent unlike those self proclaimed experts at Scout and Rivals. Edsall does his own evaluation and he does not follow the rankings of those experts.
12-24-2010 04:23 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Todman is a horse. Huskies hitch their wagon to him and ride...
12-24-2010 04:27 PM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(12-24-2010 04:00 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I know people are all excited because the kid is a 4 star or 5 star.

Just remember, Zach Frazer was a 4 star or 5 star recruit and Jordan Todman is a 2 star or no star recruit. Todman is a 1st team All-American running back. Had the recruiting experts got it right, he should have been a 5 star or at least top 3 in his class. Who would you rather have on the team today? I withhold judgement until I see the kid play on the field against other D1A athletes.
Oh, now SF....UCONN offered him as well. You'd be just as stoked if he gave Edsall the nod.
12-24-2010 05:02 PM
Advertisement

JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-24-2010 05:02 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(12-24-2010 04:00 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  I know people are all excited because the kid is a 4 star or 5 star.

Oh, now SF....UCONN offered him as well. You'd be just as stoked if he gave Edsall the nod.

Yeah, UConn fans were crying on their board about how Poteat chose UC.
12-24-2010 05:09 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(12-24-2010 04:23 PM)SF Husky Wrote:  
(12-24-2010 04:19 PM)animus Wrote:  You're right about one thing. Toddman was definitely an underrated RB and is doing wonders. Edsell knows how to find those diamond in the ruff RB's no doubt.

I don't think he is a diamond in the ruff at all. Anyone can see the talent from the 1st day he was on the field. I don't think Edsall is some magician who can turn some no star player into a NFL player. I believe he just knows how to evaluate talent unlike those self proclaimed experts at Scout and Rivals. Edsall does his own evaluation and he does not follow the rankings of those experts.

If coach's followed the rankings of scout and rivals then they should be fired. A lot of the time they(recruiting sites) manipulate the star rankings due to where a kid commits to. Look at how many schools offered Toddman and then you'd realize that he is indeed a diamond in the ruff player, just like Dion Lewis from Pitt was. If he wasn't one, then every major football player in the country would be offering the kid. He's a special player, so enjoy the ride.
12-24-2010 05:48 PM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

The fact that he is a 4-star playing coming to Cincinnati speaks volumes because they usually drop the kid to 2 or 3 stars when he comes our way. And I would bet that if this were most any other school it would be praised. Louisville and Rutgers just picked up 4 and 5 star players and I didn't see people calling them potential busts. I think this is an unbelievably great pick up for the Cats!
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2010 06:12 PM by CatsClaw.)
12-24-2010 06:09 PM
UltimateCFBfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: R! U! RAH! RAH!
(12-24-2010 06:09 PM)CatsClaw Wrote:  The fact that he is a 4-star playing coming to Cincinnati speaks volumes because they usually drop the kid to 2 or 3 stars when he comes our way. And I would bet that if this were most any other school it would be praised. Louisville and Rutgers just picked up 4 and 5 star players and I didn't see people calling them potential busts. I think this is an unbelievably great pick up for the Cats!
People aren't calling him a bust...... just one person.

Anyway congrats great pickup. Glad to keep talent in the BE at the same time not so glad to have to face him for the next 3/4 years.
12-24-2010 06:17 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
Congrats on the huge pickup as well. It good to see the talent level in the league increase.

With TCU now in the fold it has caused everyone else to step up their game and that is a good thing.

1. UC starting to pick up the pieces
2. Syracuse on the upswing
3. Pitt getting rid of Wanny
4. Louisville bouncing back and just found out that they played 23 RS & True Freshman this year.
5. UConn getting it done.
6. West Virginia getting a offensive guru to go with their defense.
7. USF learning under Holtz and ended up costing the Miami coach his job.
8. Rutgers-well u need to step up.

9. TCU, Number 3 team in the country and a Rose Bowl win could end up Number 2 in the Nation.
12-24-2010 07:35 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-24-2010 05:02 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

We would have been happy to have him. However, we already got 2 RB commits and we only got 13 scholarships open with 13 commits. I personally would like to get some other position. It is not like we don't have a history of developing RBs. We will be fine there.

He might very well be a good player. All I said was we have to wait until he gets on the field first.
12-24-2010 07:55 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

Dude, all you had to say was congrats. Just be happy that the BIG EAST is starting to get the players that the so-called experts call high caliber.

Now, it is very true that you can win with 2 and 3 Star players but it still nice to get the 4 and 5 Star guys. It is up to the coaching staffs of each and every school to coach up all of their players. That is something that Randy Edsell is very good at doing.
12-24-2010 08:22 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
(12-24-2010 08:22 PM)Maize Wrote:  Dude, all you had to say was congrats. Just be happy that the BIG EAST is starting to get the players that the so-called experts call high caliber.

Now, it is very true that you can win with 2 and 3 Star players but it still nice to get the 4 and 5 Star guys. It is up to the coaching staffs of each and every school to coach up all of their players. That is something that Randy Edsell is very good at doing.

Exactly.
12-24-2010 08:25 PM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls

are you farmiliar with bell curves? Thats kinda how this works. There are always going to be outlyers, but for the most part, 4 star players have a higher likelyhood to turn out to be great players than a 3 star player.
12-24-2010 10:41 PM
WarningSigns Offline
Special Teams

You'd make some recruiter with that philosophy.

UC is certainly no stranger to 2 star players turning into studs. Mardy Gilyard, Tony Pike, Armon Binns, Connor Barwin and most of the players we've had success with were two star players coming out of HS.
12-24-2010 10:48 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Yep. UC went to 2 BCS games in a row with a bunch of 2 star players and a few 3 stars.

The life expectancy for that continueing to work is...well, I guess its only 2 years. 03-wink
12-25-2010 12:38 AM
CatsClaw Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-24-2010 08:22 PM)Maize Wrote:  Dude, all you had to say was congrats. Just be happy that the BIG EAST is starting to get the players that the so-called experts call high caliber.

It's amazing that he's angry that we're recruiting well when this conference needs this.
12-25-2010 07:32 AM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

Donators
I can agree with that comment WarningSigns. Cincy turned a 1 Star Clairton kid into a decent NFL player until he got injured. Daven Holly will forever be a Clairton legend.
12-25-2010 07:33 AM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-25-2010 07:32 AM)CatsClaw Wrote:  

It's amazing that he's angry that we're recruiting well when this conference needs this.

Long run it all about the Jimmy's and Joe's not the X's and O's. UConn is the current Co-BIG EAST Champ and BCS Rep but the league is not going to sit still.

The boys from Fort Worth are coming and they are undefeated and ranked 3rd in the Nation and as a matter of fact the past 2 years they are 24-1. Syracuse is coming back, Louisville is coming back, Pitt & WVU are not sitting still. JMO we are now in a arms race for the league and it will be even more competitive then ever before.
12-25-2010 08:41 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.