Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA alcohol policies
Bookmark and Share
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU

Donators
NCAA alcohol policies
I always thought it was against NCAA policy to serve alcohol at on campus venues, however, I'm having a hard time finding that policy, and in fact have found more to contradict that. If it is within the rules to sell alcohol, I think NIU needs to seriously look into this at football games and basketball games. They are missing a major revenue source here. Thoughts?
10-11-2010 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: NCAA alcohol policies
I know Kent did up until half time. I dunno the rules though.
10-11-2010 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
(10-11-2010 11:15 AM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  I always thought it was against NCAA policy to serve alcohol at on campus venues, however, I'm having a hard time finding that policy, and in fact have found more to contradict that. If it is within the rules to sell alcohol, I think NIU needs to seriously look into this at football games and basketball games. They are missing a major revenue source here. Thoughts?

It isn't an NCAA rule, but I do know in some cases individual conferences have their own set of rules regarding that. Obviously, if Kent was selling it, then it is okay to do within MAC guidelines.
10-11-2010 11:47 AM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
[/quote]http://ccsap.wsu.edu/default.asp?PageID=3352

Quote:"Now, therefore, be it Resolved that NCAA members shall be encouraged to:

"Prohibit the sale of alcoholic beverages during all preseason, regular season, conference and postseason intercollegiate events. [Alcoholic beverages should not be sold or otherwise made available for public consumption in the athletics facility during intercollegiate athletics events.]

"Promote only the legal and responsible use of alcohol by fans outside the stadium or arena (e.g., tailgating). [To the extent that an institution can preclude the sale of alcohol outside the stadium or arena, those efforts should be made. When such restrictions are not feasible, an institution should visibly promote the legal and responsible use of alcohol for all fans associated with the event.]

"Prohibit on-site alcohol advertising during all preseason, regular season, conference and postseason intercollegiate events. [Except when expressly prohibited by prior contract, institutions should preclude advertising, banners, and signs of displays for liquor, beer(including nonalcoholic beer) or wine products. Any permanently affixed or leased advertising, banners, signs or displays in the facility, should be covered during the event.]

"Prohibit media advertising of alcoholic beverages that exceed six percent alcohol by volume. [Immediately prior to, during and subsequent to televised competition, institutions should preclude media advertising of alcoholic beverages that exceed six percent alcohol by volume.]

"Limit advertising of malt beverages, beer and wine products that do not exceed six percent alcohol by volume and include content that emphasizes legal use of alcohol . These advertisements could include tag lines such as "Drink Responsibly" and "Be Legal." [ Such advertisements should not compose more than 14 percent of the space in any game publications; not more than 60 seconds per hour of any telecast or broadcast or not more than one hundred twenty (120) seconds total in any telecast or broadcast. Any such content should include an appropriate focus on legal and responsible use of alcohol.]

"Provide programs and resources for education, prevention and treatment of alcohol abuse."
10-11-2010 12:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I just don't see how selling alcohol at a college game is a good idea.
10-11-2010 12:02 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
(10-11-2010 12:02 PM)7 Wrote:  I just don't see how selling alcohol at a college game is a good idea.
Agreed
10-11-2010 12:04 PM
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Maybe on the West side only, but selling it to college students could be a disaster. First time someone gets hurt, NIU would have a lawsuit on their hands.

Considering the fiasco this summer with people complaining about students behavior on the East side, I can't see this going over well.
10-11-2010 12:06 PM
CHoran24 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan & NIU
(10-11-2010 12:06 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Maybe on the West side only, but selling it to college students could be a disaster. First time someone gets hurt, NIU would have a lawsuit on their hands.

Considering the fiasco this summer with people complaining about students behavior on the East side, I can't see this going over well.

Why would it be any different than selling alcohol at a professional sporting event. I don't see how by simply selling alcohol NIU would open itself up to any lawsuits.
10-11-2010 12:15 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Mainly fact the crowd would be all young people who are more likely to cause troubles than your average pro team crowd. Add to that, I was told by the athletic department, that someone got something thrown at them last year in our crowd and that was what led to the East Side ticket situation. Considering the concern at the time was lawsuits, I'd have to think this would only make it worse.
10-11-2010 12:23 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Alcohol would be a huge source of revenue.
10-11-2010 12:37 PM
huskiehog64 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(10-11-2010 12:37 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Alcohol would be a huge source of revenue.

True, but will never happen. One or two d-bags who cant handle their liquor would ruin it for everyone.
10-11-2010 12:59 PM
Advertisement

DSniu41 Offline
1st String

Can't sell liquor on state-owned property without special legislation, it has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's IL law.
10-11-2010 01:14 PM
MKE Huskie Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU, Marquette
At the basketball games here at Marquette they sell alcohol. Surprisingly it's not a disaster among the students. Usually my friends and I only get 2-3 beers at the game because the prices are jacked up. A 24 oz draft beer here is like $7.50 or $8. However I think the reason they can sell beer at the Bradley Center is because it's not owned by the university. We share it with the Milwaukee Bucks. I think it would be different at Huskie Stadium because it's owned by the university.
10-11-2010 01:38 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

Good article explaining things....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125271416817105157.html

Excerpt....

"Although the National Collegiate Athletic Association bans alcohol sales and signage at the championship events it controls, it doesn't regulate school activities during the regular season. The nation's various athletic conferences also generally pursue a hands-off policy, though some do limit or ban alcohol sales at conference-sponsored tournaments and championship games."

I had always thought the stadium had to be off campus. Guess just many that do are. Seems some also like to limit it to "club seats" where they only need to deal with big donors, who if they want a $9 mixed drink or beer, are going to get it. Also if you can't get money from the beer company to advertise at a stadium (that is the NCAA rule)as they do off campus, the beer profit is minimal. They are going to get their share 1st. Then comes other issues/costs such as liability and enforcement issues. Realistically, how many kids will buy beer for friends or use a fake ID? Not like they are going to have 25 extra cops/security on hand to deal with it.
10-11-2010 02:27 PM
CHoran24 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Michigan & NIU
(10-11-2010 12:23 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Mainly fact the crowd would be all young people who are more likely to cause troubles than your average pro team crowd. Add to that, I was told by the athletic department, that someone got something thrown at them last year in our crowd and that was what led to the East Side ticket situation. Considering the concern at the time was lawsuits, I'd have to think this would only make it worse.

If people want to be drunk at a football game, they are going to be. Whether it is from them drinking heavily during tailgating or drinking during the game. I figure NIU might as well make some money off it.
10-11-2010 05:10 PM
niubrad00 Offline
Boss

(10-11-2010 01:14 PM)DSniu41 Wrote:  Can't sell liquor on state-owned property without special legislation, it has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's IL law.

That can't be true. They can sell liquor at the Barsema Alumni & Visitors Center for special events including weddings.
10-11-2010 05:22 PM
Advertisement

BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
(10-11-2010 05:22 PM)niubrad00 Wrote:  
(10-11-2010 01:14 PM)DSniu41 Wrote:  Can't sell liquor on state-owned property without special legislation, it has nothing to do with the NCAA. It's IL law.

That can't be true. They can sell liquor at the Barsema Alumni & Visitors Center for special events including weddings.
This is correct. The Convo Center also has liquor sales in the suites and during concerts.
10-11-2010 06:13 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(10-11-2010 02:27 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  Good article explaining things....

Excerpt....

"Although the National Collegiate Athletic Association bans alcohol sales and signage at the championship events it controls, it doesn't regulate school activities during the regular season. The nation's various athletic conferences also generally pursue a hands-off policy, though some do limit or ban alcohol sales at conference-sponsored tournaments and championship games."

Speaking of Randy Fens or the old days when he played.....how many of us "old-timers" remember going to a men's basketball game at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay which, granted, played in an off-campus facility, sold beer and Huskie fans and players had to put up with some not only arrogant but inebriated fans?

I had always thought the stadium had to be off campus. Guess just many that do are. Seems some also like to limit it to "club seats" where they only need to deal with big donors, who if they want a $9 mixed drink or beer, are going to get it. Also if you can't get money from the beer company to advertise at a stadium (that is the NCAA rule)as they do off campus, the beer profit is minimal. They are going to get their share 1st. Then comes other issues/costs such as liability and enforcement issues. Realistically, how many kids will buy beer for friends or use a fake ID? Not like they are going to have 25 extra cops/security on hand to deal with it.
10-11-2010 06:59 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(10-11-2010 06:59 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(10-11-2010 02:27 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  Good article explaining things....

Excerpt....

Speaking of Randy Fens or the old days when he played.....how many of us "old-timers" remember going to a men's basketball game at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay which, granted, played in an off-campus facility, sold beer and Huskie fans and players had to put up with some not only arrogant but inebriated fans?

The good ole days of the Mid-Con and the hated Phoenix. Despised them and Bennetts.

Loved basketball games. Great times.
10-11-2010 07:16 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(10-11-2010 12:23 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  Mainly fact the crowd would be all young people who are more likely to cause troubles than your average pro team crowd. Add to that, I was told by the athletic department, that someone got something thrown at them last year in our crowd and that was what led to the East Side ticket situation. Considering the concern at the time was lawsuits, I'd have to think this would only make it worse.

Ever been to a Bears game? Seen the 31st St lot afterward? It makes Fight Club look like a knitting class. You're right that it could make money, but I'd never bring my kids out there again.
10-11-2010 07:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.