Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Introducing this season's scare-infection...
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Introducing this season's scare-infection...
*drumroll please*

Drug-Resistant Superbugs!

Run for your lives! (Unless SARS, Mad Cow, West Nile, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, etc, get you first)
09-13-2010 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
RE: Introducing this season's scare-infection...
Superbugs have been around for awhile. I can remeber Methyline resistant TB being a big problem in the 90's in NYC. This is no joke buddy.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2010 05:24 PM by Machiavelli.)
09-13-2010 05:24 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Yeah, I know I was being a bit flippant in the post.

But, wow, you can just about set your watch by it every year: "[Insert acronym here] is spreading from [insert country here] and has a chance to quickly infect millions of people, say scientists..."
09-13-2010 05:46 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(09-13-2010 05:46 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Yeah, I know I was being a bit flippant in the post.

But, wow, you can just about set your watch by it every year: "[Insert acronym here] is spreading from [insert country here] and has a chance to quickly infect millions of people, say scientists..."

In any moment Kathleen Sebelius will say that passing Obamacare will protect us from this threat.

This is the same political hack that trumped up the dangers of 2009 Swine Flu about 900%.

Yes, Swine Flu was nasty if you caught it, but it wasn't the sequel to the Lethal Pandemic of 1918 as advertised.
09-13-2010 05:52 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
So, I call bull**** on this on the beginning. Note it blames "medical tourism". This smells like a world class marketing company pushing an agenda.
09-13-2010 11:31 PM
TomorrowHerd Offline
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
I know I am not technically in the US anymore, but we have been bit by the medical tourism bug twice in the last 4 months. One came back from a heart surgery in Thailand, and one from a back surgery in Manila. Both died, and we used the biggest gun drugs that we had.
The one from Manila died probably due to tainted blood during a transfusion. A lot of these types of hospitals give blood transfusions, not because they are needed, but because they can bill for them and the people will pay. The blood supply in most of these countries is not safe.
The one from Thailand died from an intra-abdominal infection obtained during the surgery.
Both bugs were multi-drug resistant. Both patients were quarantined in the hospital and were 1on1 with their nurses to decrease the chance of the infection spreading.
The island of Chuuk was almost quarantined last summer due to a highly resistant strain of TB. The usual TB patient stays in the hospital for a couple of weeks until they are no longer contagious. The ones from Chuuk were in our hospital for MONTHS, before they were cleared.

There is some definite nastiness out there. But yes, the Departments of Health and the UN/WHO will use this for more funding.
09-17-2010 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Machiavelli Offline

and anyone educated about multi resistant strains of monerans wouldn't take them lightly either....................
09-18-2010 01:50 PM
Machiavelli Offline

even the most benign non lethal bacteria develops a plasmid that is multi resistant. Shares this information through conjugation with a nasty one. You can have a pandemic on your hands.
09-18-2010 01:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.