Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

'Islamization' of Paris a Warning to the West
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
'Islamization' of Paris a Warning to the West
Our political correctness is leading us down this path. What we don't want to happen in the US of A.
09-02-2010 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: 'Islamization' of Paris a Warning to the West
(09-02-2010 09:42 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Our political correctness is leading us down this path. What we don't want to happen in the US of A.

Do you think that the average moron in this country has even the slightest clue as to what is happening in regards to this type of thing? And even worse, some our own people are perfectly willing to sell our way of life down the river.
09-02-2010 11:19 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I believe this all started happening in France because a few decades ago the French (and Europeans in general) have such a low birthrate and steady-to-declining populations that they needed quick n' easy labor, and made it ridiculously easy for North Africans to flood into France for manual work. Marseille, on the southern coast, is even more Islamic than Paris.

This alone isn't such a big deal. But eventually, and not too surprisingly, happened:

Quote:"We were expecting Islam to adapt to France and it is France adapting to Islam," Robin said.

So now you have pockets of the city being illegally (but not enforced) closed down for prayer sessions, street level intimidation, neighborhood-level Sharia law, etc.

Here is your toxic mix:

1. An extremely generous welfare state
2. A fierce resistance to assimilation
3. Political correctness (French left-leaners whipping out Le Card du Race if anyone offers any sort of criticism)

And there you have it.

Thus far, #2 hasn't really been an issue in the US. Immigrants, even illegals, tend to assimilate well into US society (yes, I know we can dig up some scattered examples of those who don't, but for the most part they do). And while the US government handouts are higher than they should be, they aren't anywhere near European levels... yet.

But it does serve as case study of what could happen in areas where these things exist.
09-03-2010 09:37 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
I read this 8 years ago, and it's a very good (albeit very long) column. I think of this column whenever I see those types of articles about Paris, etc. It really digs into the government compartmentalizing immigrants in public housing projects, the lax police, red tape, us vs. them mentalities, and so on. And interesting read.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/12_4_th...rians.html
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2010 09:48 AM by Motown Bronco.)
09-03-2010 09:47 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
OMG! They are going to come here and behead us all! Idiots.
09-03-2010 11:47 AM
Know Nothing Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Big East
Quote:Muslim cleric calls for beheading of Dutch politician
Reuters

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) – A well-known Australian Muslim cleric has called for the beheading of Dutch anti-Islamic politician Geert Wilders, a newspaper said on Friday.

Wilders' Freedom Party scored the biggest gains in June 9 polls and is currently negotiating to form a new minority government with the Liberals and Christian Democrats. Polls show Wilders would win a new election if one were called now.

Wilders demanded to know why he had learnt about the threat from the newspaper and not from Dutch authorities who are guarding him after a film and remarks he made angered Muslims around the world.

De Telegraaf, the Netherlands' largest newspaper, led its front page on Friday with a story on the speech by Feiz Muhammad.

The Sydney-born Muhammad has gained notoriety for, among other things, calling on young children to be radicalized and blaming rape victims for their own attacks.

The paper posted an English-language audio clip in which he refers to Wilders as "this Satan, this devil, this politician in Holland" and explains that anyone who talks about Islam like Wilders does should be executed by beheading.

De Telegraaf did not say when the speech was given but said it and the Dutch secret service both had copies. According to his website, Muhammad is based in Malaysia.

Wilders told Reuters it was "really terrible news" and that he was taking it seriously.

"I will ask for clarification from the Dutch minister of interior/justice why the secret service and anti-terrorism unit NCTb have not informed me before and what the consequences will be for me," he said in an email.

A spokesman for the Dutch secret service referred inquiries on the threat to the NCTb. A spokeswoman for the NCTb was not available to comment.

Wilders is currently on trial in the Netherlands for inciting hatred and discrimination against Muslims.

The Freedom Party leader made a film in 2008 which accused the Koran of inciting violence and mixed images of terrorist attacks with quotations from the Islamic holy book.

Wilders was also charged because of outspoken remarks in the media, such as an opinion piece in a Dutch daily in which he compared Islam to fascism and the Koran to Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kampf."

Of late he has been in the news for plans to speak out against a planned mosque in New York City on September 11, the ninth anniversary of the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people.

But his views have also made him extremely popular with a segment of the country uneasy about the Netherlands' commitment to multiculturalism.
09-03-2010 12:00 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(09-03-2010 11:47 AM)RobertN Wrote:  OMG! They are going to come here and behead us all! Idiots.

Does this have anything remotely to do with this topic. Who said anything about beheading? Then You call everyone here an idiot. You should look in the mirror and the a$$hole looking back is the idiot.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2010 02:36 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
09-03-2010 02:35 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(09-03-2010 09:37 AM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Here is your toxic mix:

3. Political correctness (French left-leaners whipping out Le Card du Race if anyone offers any sort of criticism)

And there you have it.

Thus far, #2 hasn't really been an issue in the US.

You are joking right? It may not be Islam, but substitute the Hispanic population and you have the same thing. No adoption of language. Expectation that we will speak Spanish. ESL classes in school. Menus in Spanish at fast food restaurants. Celebration of Mexican holidays.

Overall, I don't know how you can say that the overall Hispanic immigrant population has assimilated to life in the U.S., especially compared to European immigrants from a generation or two ago.
09-03-2010 06:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(09-03-2010 06:02 PM)blah Wrote:  You are joking right? It may not be Islam, but substitute the Hispanic population and you have the same thing. No adoption of language. Expectation that we will speak Spanish. ESL classes in school. Menus in Spanish at fast food restaurants. Celebration of Mexican holidays..

You left out voting ballots printed in Espanol - the ultimate sign off surrender.
09-03-2010 08:56 PM
Know Nothing Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Big East
(09-03-2010 06:02 PM)blah Wrote:  

And there you have it.

You are joking right? It may not be Islam, but substitute the Hispanic population and you have the same thing. No adoption of language. Expectation that we will speak Spanish. ESL classes in school. Menus in Spanish at fast food restaurants. Celebration of Mexican holidays.

Overall, I don't know how you can say that the overall Hispanic immigrant population has assimilated to life in the U.S., especially compared to European immigrants from a generation or two ago.

It's not really an issue though as Hispanics come from the same western culture as the one we have a here in the United States. Yeah there are some slight differences in ethnic holidays and language, but it's no different than German, Italian, Slavic, etc immigrants from past generations. Maybe even less dramatic than past generations, because previous immigrants were Catholics coming to an almost entirely Protestant country, where as now the Catholic Church(the religion of most Hispanics) is the largest single religion in the USA(30%).

Islam(in its current form) is completely incompatible with western civilization. Muslims recognize neither judeo-christian values nor the ideals of the Enlightenment(separation of church and state). In fact Islam is a much a form of government as it is a religion, completely opposed to freedom of conscience and democratic ideals.

No Hispanic anywhere is advocating sharia law or the beheading of people that criticize them.
09-04-2010 12:17 PM
blah Offline
Just doing the splits

I Root For: Stretching

CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardDonatorsSkunkworksSurvivor Runner-up
(09-04-2010 12:17 PM)Know Nothing Wrote:  

And there you have it.

It's not really an issue though as Hispanics come from the same western culture as the one we have a here in the United States. Yeah there are some slight differences in ethnic holidays and language, but it's no different than German, Italian, Slavic, etc immigrants from past generations. Maybe even less dramatic than past generations, because previous immigrants were Catholics coming to an almost entirely Protestant country, where as now the Catholic Church(the religion of most Hispanics) is the largest single religion in the USA(30%).

Islam(in its current form) is completely incompatible with western civilization. Muslims recognize neither judeo-christian values nor the ideals of the Enlightenment(separation of church and state). In fact Islam is a much a form of government as it is a religion, completely opposed to freedom of conscience and democratic ideals.

No Hispanic anywhere is advocating sharia law or the beheading of people that criticize them.

I didn't say that Hispanics were out beheading people. My statement was that Hispanic immigrants are not assimilating to U.S. culture. I stand by that statement.

I might even argue that African Muslims who have emigrated to the U.S. have more blended into the fabric of the U.S. society even while observing their religious beliefs.

Also, did you see some of the protests to the Arizona law? Not much less militant than radical Muslims....
09-04-2010 05:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl

And there you have it.

Set aside for the moment the fact that you've inverted the meaning of that item (at least as I've interpreted it), I think you're mis-characterizing the reality of the situation. Irish, Italian, Jews, Russians, Vietnamese, Puerto Rican, Chinese, and many other groups of immigrants are notorious for having set up enclaves in various American cities - partly because those areas were affordable for them, but also out of whatever affinity they may have for living with their countrymen. Mexicans are distinguished for the fact that there are so many of them in the US, but that's to be expected because Mexico borders the US. Do not judge all Mexicans in the US on the basis of some idiot College Professors or activists talking about how Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California are just occupied Mexican territory.

My basis for my interpretation of the "fierce resistance to assimilation" is the fact that France has put barriers to where Algerian immigrants are able to live ... this has a lot to do with government and popular policy deliberately concentrating immigrants, which experts have said is an important distinguishing factor in how they have acted out. Add to that the French caterwauling about French Disneyland, etc. and it seems to me that the resistance to assimilation is on the part of the French, not the immigrants.
09-04-2010 06:40 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-03-2010 02:35 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  
(09-03-2010 11:47 AM)RobertN Wrote:  OMG! They are going to come here and behead us all! Idiots.

Does this have anything remotely to do with this topic. Who said anything about beheading? Then You call everyone here an idiot. You should look in the mirror and the a$$hole looking back is the idiot.
Just getting in the SOAF paranoid mode.
09-04-2010 08:57 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

And there you have it.

Can you please get your mind out of the gutter and learn something for a change. Just about every frickin' group of people coming here has the same thing done to them/said about them. THe Polish, the Irish, etc. Guess what? After a generation or so, many adapt to the "American cukture"(whatever the hell that is). Some don't but most do. Don't be scared my little gringo. It will work out fine. It always has and will in the future.
09-04-2010 09:13 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-03-2010 08:56 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(09-03-2010 06:02 PM)blah Wrote:  You are joking right? It may not be Islam, but substitute the Hispanic population and you have the same thing. No adoption of language. Expectation that we will speak Spanish. ESL classes in school. Menus in Spanish at fast food restaurants. Celebration of Mexican holidays..

You left out voting ballots printed in Espanol - the ultimate sign off surrender.
As if the Polish didn't have the same thing. "I am scared, the little brown people are taking over. My culture will be destroyed". Again, what the hell is "our culture"?
09-04-2010 09:22 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-04-2010 12:17 PM)Know Nothing Wrote:  

And there you have it.

I agree with the first part but the second part is just laughably stupid.
09-04-2010 09:28 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-04-2010 06:40 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

And there you have it.

Set aside for the moment the fact that you've inverted the meaning of that item (at least as I've interpreted it), I think you're mis-characterizing the reality of the situation. Irish, Italian, Jews, Russians, Vietnamese, Puerto Rican, Chinese, and many other groups of immigrants are notorious for having set up enclaves in various American cities - partly because those areas were affordable for them, but also out of whatever affinity they may have for living with their countrymen. Mexicans are distinguished for the fact that there are so many of them in the US, but that's to be expected because Mexico borders the US. Do not judge all Mexicans in the US on the basis of some idiot College Professors or activists talking about how Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California are just occupied Mexican territory.

My basis for my interpretation of the "fierce resistance to assimilation" is the fact that France has put barriers to where Algerian immigrants are able to live ... this has a lot to do with government and popular policy deliberately concentrating immigrants, which experts have said is an important distinguishing factor in how they have acted out. Add to that the French caterwauling about French Disneyland, etc. and it seems to me that the resistance to assimilation is on the part of the French, not the immigrants.
I think for the most part I agreee-though this must be a mistake given who I am responding too, I will have to go back and read the post more carefully to make sure I am not missing something. 03-lmfao Though, I am a bit confused about the college professor part. I never had a college professor say anything like it(or a HS teacher for that matter-I even went to school in a fairly high hispanic student population though the other side of town had/has a MUCH larger hispanic student population. Currently it is approximately 80% of the students are hispanic so things could be different there, I don't know).
09-04-2010 09:48 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Robert, you truly are ignorant on the subject of Islam. Educate yourself or continue your ignorance in silence.
09-04-2010 10:17 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(09-04-2010 09:48 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(09-04-2010 06:40 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

And there you have it.

I think for the most part I agreee-though this must be a mistake given who I am responding too, I will have to go back and read the post more carefully to make sure I am not missing something. 03-lmfao Though, I am a bit confused about the college professor part. I never had a college professor say anything like it(or a HS teacher for that matter-I even went to school in a fairly high hispanic student population though the other side of town had/has a MUCH larger hispanic student population. Currently it is approximately 80% of the students are hispanic so things could be different there, I don't know).

Given that you're usually afraid to respond to me, I think this makes your current response rate about 50% in agreement, 50% off the wall.

This guy is a hs teacher: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/lachlan-mar...nt-revolut

Raul Ruiz is the guy I was thinking about: http://uniondelbarrio.org/lvp/newspapers.../pg01.html

More generally, I don't think La Raza represents the mainstream immigrant community. Even more generally, marxist activists tend to be college professors in my experience, whether it's La Raza or the Democratic Party.
09-05-2010 10:07 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(09-04-2010 10:17 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Robert, you truly are ignorant on the subject of Islam. Educate yourself or continue your ignorance in silence.
03-lmfao Like you know anything about Islam.
09-05-2010 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.