Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scientific Reality
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Scientific Reality
I saw July was 7.9 degrees hotter on avg. in the NE than last year. A shocking number when you consider that that's an avg. Now it's only one month, but if we ever had an 8 degree cooler month from one year to the next every Tom, Dick, and Harry would be on here trumpeting it. Here are some other sites of interest.

NOAA: Past Decade Warmest on Record According to Scientists in 48 Countries
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010...imate.html

Global warming pushes 2010 temperatures to record highs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/20...010-record

Global warming: NASA says it's the hottest year on record

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/07/27/98...z0vHNzW3DR

Phytoplankton in retreat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marine phytoplankton have a crucial role in Earth's biogeochemical cycles, and form the basis of marine ecosystems. Data from satellite remote sensing — available since 1979 — have provided evidence that phytoplankton biomass has fluctuated on the decadal scale, linked to climate forcing, but a few decades of data are insufficient to indicate long-term trends. Daniel Boyce and colleagues now put these results in a long-term context by estimating local, regional and global trends in phytoplankton biomass since 1899, based on a range of sources including measurements of ocean transparency with a device known as a Secchi disk, and shipboard analyses of various types. What emerges from the records is a century of decline of global phytoplankton biomass. The authors estimate that the decline of phytoplankton standing stock has been greatest at high latitudes, in equatorial regions, in oceanic areas and in more recent years. Trends in most areas are correlated significantly to increasing ocean warming, and leading climate indices.

News and Views
: Oceanography: Century of phytoplankton change
Phytoplankton biomass is a crucial measure of the health of ocean ecosystems. An impressive synthesis of the relevant data, stretching back to more than 100 years ago, provides a connection with climate change.

David A. Siegel & Bryan A. Franz

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v46...29-03.html
07-31-2010 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: Scientific Reality
Why no mention that last July was cooler than normal? 8 degrees in one tiny speck of the globe in a single month from one year to the next would only be shocking to you.

Quote:84 year old lowest daytime high temperature record broken at LAX, 98 year record tied at San Diego, plus a string of records at many other cities
Posted on July 11, 2010 by Anthony Watts

From the “weather is not climate department”, while the east gets a heat wave, southern California sets chilly records in July over several days. Both Los Angeles and San Diego NWS offices made a number of record event reports, which I’ve compiled below along with an LA Times story. Much of the Southwest was cooler as seen in the map below:

[Image: sw_lows_july2010.png?w=640&h=441]

Of particular note from San Diego:
[THURSDAY JULY 8th] RECORD OF 64 DEGREES IN SAN DIEGO TIED THE LOWEST MAX TEMPERATURE
EVER RECORDED IN THE MONTH OF JULY WHICH LAST OCCURRED IN 1912.

LA Times: What summer? Record cold at LAX as July gloom continues
July 10, 2010

Unusually cold temperatures in Southern California continued, with Los Angeles International Airport setting a record low on Friday.

LAX got to only 67 degrees, breaking a record set in 1926, according to the National Weather Service.

Temperatures are expected to stay fairly cool Saturday, with highs around 70 on the coast and in the 80s inland. Conditions will be a bit warmer on Sunday, according to the weather service.

July has turned out to be cooler than normal.

Instead of daytime highs approaching the mid-80s, downtown L.A. has experienced temperatures in the mid- to high 70s. From June 1 to July 5, daytime and nighttime temperatures have averaged a relatively cool 69.8 degrees.

That makes that stretch one of the cooler ones for that time of the year in the last 10 years, just slightly warmer than the same period in 2004 (69.4 degrees) and 2002 (68.9 degrees). The cooler ocean air early in the day has a moderating effect on daily temperature conditions. And low-lying clouds have been tempering the sun’s heat.

– Shelby Grad

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/07/11/84...er-cities/

Kind of a wash.
07-31-2010 02:42 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(07-31-2010 11:47 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I saw July was 7.9 degrees hotter on avg. in the NE than last year. A shocking number when you consider that that's an avg. Now it's only one month, but if we ever had an 8 degree cooler month from one year to the next every Tom, ****, and Harry would be on here trumpeting it. Here are some other sites of interest.

Global warming pushes 2010 temperatures to record highs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/20...010-record

Global warming: NASA says it's the hottest year on record

Phytoplankton in retreat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marine phytoplankton have a crucial role in Earth's biogeochemical cycles, and form the basis of marine ecosystems. Data from satellite remote sensing — available since 1979 — have provided evidence that phytoplankton biomass has fluctuated on the decadal scale, linked to climate forcing, but a few decades of data are insufficient to indicate long-term trends. Daniel Boyce and colleagues now put these results in a long-term context by estimating local, regional and global trends in phytoplankton biomass since 1899, based on a range of sources including measurements of ocean transparency with a device known as a Secchi disk, and shipboard analyses of various types. What emerges from the records is a century of decline of global phytoplankton biomass. The authors estimate that the decline of phytoplankton standing stock has been greatest at high latitudes, in equatorial regions, in oceanic areas and in more recent years. Trends in most areas are correlated significantly to increasing ocean warming, and leading climate indices.

News and Views
: Oceanography: Century of phytoplankton change
Phytoplankton biomass is a crucial measure of the health of ocean ecosystems. An impressive synthesis of the relevant data, stretching back to more than 100 years ago, provides a connection with climate change.

David A. Siegel & Bryan A. Franz

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v46...29-03.html
science? You want to talk science with those who believe scripture is the truth and science is bunk? Why waste your time?
07-31-2010 03:58 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
This is a measurement. Nothing more. Everything assigned to explain that measurement is hypothesis.
07-31-2010 08:27 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
In all my 20 years in California this is the coolest summer of them all and I have the low electricity bills as proof. Only one or two day over 100 degrees. If this is global warming then I say bring it on.
07-31-2010 08:54 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
There is a difference between abnormally warm weather and climate change. Saying that we have global warming based on a one month measurement in a small section of just the US is just plain wrong. These things are measured globally over years and decades.
08-01-2010 12:49 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Did you read the other links????????????? aTx I know the one is only NASA and not Pat Sajak but take a look at it.
08-01-2010 08:10 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
The greater question Mach is WHY, and what should/can be done about it? It's all fine and well to point to greenhouse gasses and say we should cut back on them... it is something else to say that we can reasonably do enough to make a difference.

As I've said in numerous other posts... There are plenty of people who believe as you do. There are plenty of people who don't, but are concerned enough about the environment to support means to clean it up. Why is this not enough? If the problem is so great that it takes virtually 100% global compliance to solve, then you might be fighting the wrong battle.
08-01-2010 03:15 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(08-01-2010 08:10 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Did you read the other links????????????? aTx I know the one is only NASA and not Pat Sajak but take a look at it.

Don't know why you are coming at me with the Pat Sajak reference. I believe climate change is real and a long term threat to this nation.
08-01-2010 03:23 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I thought it was funny. Nuttin personal..............
08-01-2010 03:39 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-31-2010 11:47 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I saw July was 7.9 degrees hotter on avg. in the NE than last year. A shocking number when you consider that that's an avg. Now it's only one month, but if we ever had an 8 degree cooler month from one year to the next every Tom, ****, and Harry would be on here trumpeting it. Here are some other sites of interest.

That's funny, b/c when you look at their data, a different conclusion is drawn.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/08/02/no...more-22891

Quote:Global warming: NASA says it's the hottest year on record

08-02-2010 09:41 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Call me crazy, but I think we should "trust" noaa's site more than a personal blogger of watts up with that. Just a general rule of thumb.
08-02-2010 11:16 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(08-02-2010 11:16 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Call me crazy, but I think we should "trust" noaa's site more than a personal blogger of watts up with that. Just a general rule of thumb.
03-lmfao I agree but if some right wing fringe nutcase(maybe it is Torchy's blog? ) blogs it, it MUST be true! The right wing fringe nutcases on here(SOAF) uses them all the time as facts and the truth.
08-02-2010 11:25 AM
DrTorch Offline

(08-02-2010 11:16 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Call me crazy, but I think we should "trust" noaa's site more than a personal blogger of watts up with that. Just a general rule of thumb.

He used NOAA's data. So why is that now a problem?
08-02-2010 11:40 AM
DrTorch Offline

I got your gov't funded scientists right here

http://www.city-journal.org/2010/20_3_sn...lines.html
08-02-2010 12:16 PM
Machiavelli Offline

The problem is he obviously has an ax to grind. You can easily manipulate data sets to tell any story you want. It's just amazing to me the stuff you cite. I give you NASA, NOAA, Nature magazine.

You give me.......................

"Watts up Pat Sajak"
08-02-2010 02:55 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Nobody has mentioned it yet ... so I guess I'll have to ...

South America is having one of the deepest and hardest cold spells on record. Record snowfalls. Record lows.

I wonder if this is more of an indication of THE CURRENT TILT OF THE EARTH'S AXIS RELATIVE TO THE SUPER HOT ASS SUN, thus causing some areas to receive unusually high amounts of sun and some areas unusually low amounts of sun.

NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, then we can't have a carbon tax scam accepting such ridiculous sound logic as that.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/st...brings.asp

It snowed in freakin' BOLIVIA. That's IN THE TROPICS. That's akin to it snowing in the Florida Keys.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2010 03:04 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
08-02-2010 02:59 PM
DrTorch Offline

(08-02-2010 02:55 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  The problem is he obviously has an ax to grind. You can easily manipulate data sets to tell any story you want.

You need to stop right there. Your hypocrisy is overflowing.

Quote: It's just amazing to me the stuff you cite. I give you NASA, NOAA, Nature magazine.

Yeah, well I worked for NASA. So what is your point?

We also know that Hanson is a fraud. That's not subject to debate anymore. That's demonstrable fact. I just signed my company's yearly statement of ethics, and what Hanson, Mann and Jones do is called "fraud," at my institution.

And if you think publishing in Nature is some sort of canonizing ritual, think again. There's an agenda out there, and it's not science.

Quote:You give me.......................

"Watts up Pat Sajak"

And you just twisted things. So much for your integrity Mach.

BTW, this might leave a mark

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/magazi....html?_r=3

Ironically, Climate Audit and Watts Up With That?, meet the standards.
08-02-2010 03:30 PM
DrTorch Offline

(08-02-2010 02:59 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Nobody has mentioned it yet ... so I guess I'll have to ...

South America is having one of the deepest and hardest cold spells on record. Record snowfalls. Record lows.

Purposely omitting results in order to further a preferred conclusion is called FRAUD at my institution.

The crowd that loved to chant "Bush Lied..." seem awfully tolerant about it when it comes wrapped in the label "science."
08-02-2010 03:33 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Mack has been obsessive compulsive about this for a while now. He is off the deep end and the indications are, he needs his meds.
08-02-2010 05:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.