Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fresno State athletics financing in crisis
Bookmark and Share
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
Fresno State athletics financing in crisis
From the Texas State Board:

On the surface, Fresno State's athletic budget appears to be doing just fine.
Dig a bit, though, and the Bulldogs clearly are in a world of financial hurt -- with no easy solutions on the horizon.

The state of California, faced with its own budget crisis, has repeatedly increased student fees. This, in turn, increases the burden on the Bulldog Foundation, which for years has been charged with funding all Bulldogs scholarships.

Wallace said the foundation funds 240 to 250 scholarships. The BDF's projected bill in FY 2010 was about $5.1 million, but the foundation's annual fund drive failed to meet the target.

Wallace said foundation officials this month agreed to take money from the BDF's endowment to cover the gap. He said the foundation won't know the amount for a week or two, but expects the tab to be $800,000 to $1.5 million.

Wallace said the foundation can't dip into its endowment forever to make up for such shortfalls. At the same time, he said, Fresno State can't afford to eliminate scholarships if it expects to field the broad-based and competitive program necessary to move up in the world of Division I athletics.

Read more: http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/06/21/1979...z0rcIr2L2w
06-22-2010 03:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Fresno State athletics financing in crisis
You can write that story pretty much everywhere. ASU's scholarship costs have gone up a bunch and we are well behind the national education inflation rate in tuition and room/board increases.
06-23-2010 08:29 AM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(06-23-2010 08:29 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  You can write that story pretty much everywhere. ASU's scholarship costs have gone up a bunch and we are well behind the national education inflation rate in tuition and room/board increases.

Agree. That story is being repeated on almost every campus right now.

This biggest reason for all the realignment posturing is about money.
06-23-2010 10:21 AM
RaiderDoug Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Middle
All the more reason why far-flung conferences like the WAC and CUSA make less and less sense.

Really, all non-BCS schools should regionalize, especially since there really isn't much difference between the average WAC/MAC/Belt/CUSA schools. You've got your stars and your dogs, but for the most part, we're more alike then not with respect to budget, attendance, etc.

ADs, Presidents, Conference commish's should do this sooner rather than later, or I'm afraid we're going to get to the point where some schools simply can't afford to play at this level, and it's too late to do anything about it.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2010 11:26 AM by RaiderDoug.)
06-23-2010 11:23 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
(06-23-2010 11:23 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  All the more reason why far-flung conferences like the WAC and CUSA make less and less sense.

Really, all non-BCS schools should regionalize, especially since there really isn't much difference between the average WAC/MAC/Belt/CUSA schools. You've got your stars and your dogs, but for the most part, we're more alike then not with respect to budget, attendance, etc.

ADs, Presidents, Conference commish's should do this sooner rather than later, or I'm afraid we're going to get to the point where some schools simply can't afford to play at this level, and it's too late to do anything about it.

I agree! If the programs are not in the AQ conferences, the most economical thing to do is join a regional conference. This way, you still play at the same FBS level, you can still grow your program, and attract quality recruits. The biggest thing is you can decrease your operating expenses.
06-23-2010 11:46 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
One thing that happened to Fresno St. is this guy said he was gonna donate 10 million to athletics, he played football at Fresno St. in the 90's. They gave him the royal treatment, turns out he only ended up giving between 100-250K and hasn't made good on any of the other payments.

If worst comes to worst Fresno St. will go Indy in football, playing Pac 12, MWC, WAC schools, with whatever other BCS big name is willing to play us. Then join the Big West bus league for all other sports.
06-23-2010 05:12 PM
Advertisement

SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(06-23-2010 10:21 AM)dchi72 Wrote:  
(06-23-2010 08:29 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  You can write that story pretty much everywhere. ASU's scholarship costs have gone up a bunch and we are well behind the national education inflation rate in tuition and room/board increases.

Nevada-Reno is having financial problems also:

Nevada faced with budget woes, could cut program
06-28-2010 09:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Author of the article needs to do a bit of research. 14 is the minimum for Division I but if Nevada desires to remain in FBS they have to keep all 16 sports and cutting one is not an option.
06-29-2010 08:19 AM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Travel expenses will most likely become a serious topic of discussion within the WAC as schools look for ways to decrease expenses; travel from Hawaii to Louisiana and all points in between has got to be a real budget killer . . . 01-wingedeagle
06-29-2010 09:34 AM
Crump1 Offline
All American

The Sun Belt keeps looking better and better each day. As long as nobody goes wobbly on us, we might even benefit from the impending collapse of the WAC.
06-29-2010 09:49 AM
FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(06-28-2010 09:01 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  

And this is with Boise money. Just wait till those dollars run dry. 03-shhhh
06-29-2010 09:54 AM
Advertisement

dchi72 Offline
1st String

(06-29-2010 09:54 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  

For the past six years all we have heard is wait until the money runs dry. Still waiting for that day. Maybe it will finally arrive in 2014 as some have predicted, but so far the money still flows in the WAC.
06-29-2010 05:12 PM
Hilltopper2K Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: WKU!!!
(06-23-2010 11:23 AM)RaiderDoug Wrote:  All the more reason why far-flung conferences like the WAC and CUSA make less and less sense.

Agree. Not only are travel costs less, but fan interest is greater. And you get better travel from fans. If the Sunbelt ever does go to two divisions we should make those two divisions as tight as possible.
06-29-2010 06:36 PM
MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(06-29-2010 05:12 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  

For the past six years all we have heard is wait until the money runs dry. Still waiting for that day. Maybe it will finally arrive in 2014 as some have predicted, but so far the money still flows in the WAC.

So far ? That kinda sounds like the guy who fell off the roof of a 20 story building. As he passed each floor folks heard him yelling "so far, so good".:odie:
06-29-2010 06:41 PM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

(06-29-2010 06:41 PM)MG61 Wrote:  

So far ? That kinda sounds like the guy who fell off the roof of a 20 story building. As he passed each floor folks heard him yelling "so far, so good".:odie:

Except that Tech and the WAC jumped off the building and learned to fly. Because we all know that a bigger TV contract and several BCS games over the years is the definition off falling off the building.

03-nutkick
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2010 06:45 PM by dchi72.)
06-29-2010 06:44 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(06-29-2010 06:44 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  

Except that Tech and the WAC jumped off the building and learned to fly. Because we all know that a bigger TV contract and several BCS games over the years is the definition off falling off the building.

03-nutkick

Except your commissioner says ESPN will renegotiate that nice contract downward.

You know as well as everyone here, the WAC basketball revenue is falling and the BCS revenue will fall as well. If you expand in football you are assured of being in the bottom heap financially in BCS money and Montana who acts like they don't want to join is the only school that would consider the WAC that isn't in the bottom half of the nation in basketball RPI. In fact all except Montana and UTSA (who hasn't played a football game and won't play one this year) are in the bottom third of the nation.

Nevada says they might have to drop a sport because of money. They have 16 and the FBS minimum is 16. Hawaii and Fresno are moaning about contemplating independence.

Hey I get you are a fan, love your team, don't want to go to the unworthy Sun Belt you have to admit it ain't looking pretty out west.
06-29-2010 07:44 PM
Advertisement

dchi72 Offline
1st String

(06-29-2010 07:44 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(06-29-2010 06:44 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  

03-nutkick

Except your commissioner says ESPN will renegotiate that nice contract downward.

You know as well as everyone here, the WAC basketball revenue is falling and the BCS revenue will fall as well. If you expand in football you are assured of being in the bottom heap financially in BCS money and Montana who acts like they don't want to join is the only school that would consider the WAC that isn't in the bottom half of the nation in basketball RPI. In fact all except Montana and UTSA (who hasn't played a football game and won't play one this year) are in the bottom third of the nation.

Nevada says they might have to drop a sport because of money. They have 16 and the FBS minimum is 16. Hawaii and Fresno are moaning about contemplating independence.

Hey I get you are a fan, love your team, don't want to go to the unworthy Sun Belt you have to admit it ain't looking pretty out west.

Yes things are not as nice as they were. Yes Boise leaving could hurt the conference as a whole.

The TV contract will be renegotiated. Nothing will change for 2010-2011. Boise might be able to pull off another BCS game.

Hopefully things will get better, but we have a year to pull it together. After that, who knows. Benson will either earn his keep or be regarded as the worst commissioner in football.
06-29-2010 08:10 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Nevada-Reno is having financial problems also
That is all true, but for various reasons, these pressures are greatly intensified for schools within the California State University system. The three campuses of that system that play FBS-level football are located in Fresno (WAC), San Diego (MWC), and San Jose (WAC). All three of them are feeling a very sharp, painful crimp in their athletic lifestyle, and there is basically no sign at all that things will get better, unless they somehow wind up in a BCS league. (Does anyone really think that will happen?) Fresno, at least, has a very strong history of playing good football, and of turning out large crowds for their home games. Football at San Jose and San Diego, on the other hand, is virtually invisible to their own students and the local media. It would not surprise me at all if those two schools are forced to abandon FBS-football in the next 10 years or so. I think Fresno will tough it out, somehow, but they are in a tight squeeze, no question about it.
(06-29-2010 07:44 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  WAC basketball revenue is falling
What's causing that to happen?
(06-29-2010 07:44 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Hawaii and Fresno are moaning about contemplating independence.
Short of being directly subsidized by someone with Bill-Gates-like wealth, I don't see any serious way that Fresno State could survive as an Independent in FBS-level football. Hawaii's a special case. I think they Could get by scheduling 9-10 home games every year, plus 2-3 on the West Coast. It's kinda "iffy", but at least a plausible scenario can be sketched out.

(06-29-2010 08:10 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  Yes Boise leaving could hurt the conference as a whole.
Shouldn't "could" be changed to "will"?
(06-29-2010 08:10 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  Hopefully things will get better, but we have a year to pull it together.
That's not much time, is it?
(06-29-2010 08:10 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  After that, who knows. Benson will either earn his keep or be regarded as the worst commissioner in football.
There is no way that Benson can prevent WAC's TV-revenues from going significantly down without Boise State football pulling the train.
06-29-2010 08:41 PM
dchi72 Offline
1st String

(06-29-2010 08:41 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There is no way that Benson can prevent WAC's TV-revenues from going significantly down without Boise State football pulling the train.

Never say never. But even if the contract is cut in half as most experts think it will, our disbursement is still higher than what we will get from the MAC or Sunbelt.

Not a slam on either conference, just a simple fact. Future negotiations can alter this situation. We shall see.
06-29-2010 09:43 PM
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(06-29-2010 09:43 PM)dchi72 Wrote:  
(06-29-2010 08:41 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  There is no way that Benson can prevent WAC's TV-revenues from going significantly down without Boise State football pulling the train.

Never say never. But even if the contract is cut in half as most experts think it will, our disbursement is still higher than what we will get from the MAC or Sunbelt.

Not a slam on either conference, just a simple fact. Future negotiations can alter this situation. We shall see.

Revenues cut significantly and expenses remaining constant would not be a good situation. MAC is a bus league and the SBC is not spread out as much as the WAC.
06-29-2010 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.