interesting tidbits of information. excellent post
05-20-2010 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shof Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
RE: For conversation purposes only
"interesting tidbits of information. excellent post"

Agree. Question - how much is "transferred" from overall university funds into athletics (not counting funds for scholarships)? I know Cajuns and Warhawks don't have student fee assessments per se; but both get money from the university fund. How much? Do other schools that assess student fees for athletics also get money from their school's general fund?

There have been discussions on the Cajun fan sites that assessing student fees would help increase the athletic budget; but I suspect that would come with the loss of money transferred from the general fund.
05-20-2010 11:40 AM
Advertisement

CajunFan89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UL
(05-20-2010 11:40 AM)Shof Wrote:  "interesting tidbits of information. excellent post"

Agree. Question - how much is "transferred" from overall university funds into athletics (not counting funds for scholarships)? I know Cajuns and Warhawks don't have student fee assessments per se; but both get money from the university fund. How much? Do other schools that assess student fees for athletics also get money from their school's general fund?

There have been discussions on the Cajun fan sites that assessing student fees would help increase the athletic budget; but I suspect that would come with the loss of money transferred from the general fund.

my guess on that would be anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 the amount of the total revenues of athletics gets transferred from the general fund. that is just my guess though.
05-20-2010 11:50 AM
rhineaux Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-20-2010 11:40 AM)Shof Wrote:  "interesting tidbits of information. excellent post"

I have a friend who dealt with this sort of thing for UL Athletics, up until a couple years ago. According to her, just about every penny that is transferred to Athletics from the University, is immediately transferred back to pay for scholarships. If I remember correctly, that number is somewhere around $2-3MM per year. Again, this is as of 2-3 years ago.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2010 12:25 PM by rhineaux.)
05-20-2010 12:24 PM
Advertisement

Shof Offline
Special Teams

(05-20-2010 12:24 PM)rhineaux Wrote:  

I have a friend who dealt with this sort of thing for UL Athletics, up until a couple years ago. According to her, just about every penny that is transferred to Athletics from the University, is immediately transferred back to pay for scholarships. If I remember correctly, that number is somewhere around $2-3MM per year. Again, this is as of 2-3 years ago.

Probably boils down to "how" the accounting is done. I'm sure most, if not all of us, want the athletic department to be self-sufficient. If we are covering all the expenses (with the exception of scholarships and state approved coach salaries) with the revenues generated by the sports, then IMO we are being good stewards of the funds. If it is a huge drain on the university's finances, we need to take a hard look at continuing to compete at this level. And I'm not talking about any specific school, just college sports in general. So if football and basketball (in particular) are not bringing decent funds, then it's going to be tough to make ends meet.
05-20-2010 01:12 PM
johnnylightnin Offline
Huh?

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
The amount that can be transferred is a percentage of the schools total budget. Up until a few years ago, I believe it was 3% and they just (in the last year and a half or so) raised it to 5% (still below the national average). What hamstrings everybody but LSU is that for every penny raised by a student fee, the maximum allowable transfer is reduced by the exact same amount.

So, say ULL is getting 3 million from the transfer. For their student fee to make sense, it would have to raise more than 3 million to result in a net gain. This is not likely to change any time soon, so you're not likely to see ULS schools be able to significantly better themselves through student fees.

I did the math one time for Louisiana Tech and the student fee would have to be way more than what our students were likely to vote in. ULL has a bigger student base, so they might have more success with it.
05-20-2010 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Shof Offline
Special Teams

(05-20-2010 01:55 PM)johnnylightnin Wrote:  The amount that can be transferred is a percentage of the schools total budget. Up until a few years ago, I believe it was 3% and they just (in the last year and a half or so) raised it to 5% (still below the national average). What hamstrings everybody but LSU is that for every penny raised by a student fee, the maximum allowable transfer is reduced by the exact same amount.

So, say ULL is getting 3 million from the transfer. For their student fee to make sense, it would have to raise more than 3 million to result in a net gain. This is not likely to change any time soon, so you're not likely to see ULS schools be able to significantly better themselves through student fees.

I did the math one time for Louisiana Tech and the student fee would have to be way more than what our students were likely to vote in. ULL has a bigger student base, so they might have more success with it.

Interesting note I copied from another message board; but along the same lines as this thread:

Posted by Arkstfan on Big East/Expansion thread:

"Just read today that the most recent survey reveals only four FBS schools did not give athletics some sort of internal financial support. Think about that. Texas generates a sum reportedly in excess of $100 million and still uses aid from the university. Boise State derives 32% of its revenue from the school. Two BCS wins and they were actually cutting positions prior to this school year because of budget issues."

Now I suppose the internal financial support could be a "direct" allotment (like that used in our UL System schools), or perhaps a student fee like those used in other states/systems. But the fact that dang near EVERY program 04-jawdrop uses a "supplement" of some kind is interesting. Very difficult to compare "apples to apples" unless you have way more time to devote to it than most of us do!
05-20-2010 02:09 PM
johnnylightnin Offline
Huh?

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(05-20-2010 02:09 PM)Shof Wrote:  Very difficult to compare "apples to apples" unless you have way more time to devote to it than most of us do!

Exactly right.
05-20-2010 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
07-coffee3
05-20-2010 07:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.