Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Things continue to improve
Ninerfan1 Offline
Habitual Line Stepper

I Root For: Charlotte
Things continue to improve
Jobless claims rise

Yep, we're on the other side of the mountain boys. It's all sunny skies from here on in.
05-20-2010 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Things continue to improve
(05-20-2010 08:42 AM)Ninerfan1 Wrote:  Jobless claims rise

Yep, we're on the other side of the mountain boys. It's all sunny skies from here on in.

...but Mach made a couple of grand shortselling, so it the trillions blown MUST be working, right?
05-20-2010 08:43 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU

You forget to add "Unexpectedly" to the headline.

/ hat tip, Instapundit!
05-20-2010 08:51 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
I would rather be an optimist than a pessimist. AND............... my original contention stands. Interest rates will lower from here and the dollar will strengthen.
05-20-2010 09:24 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2010 09:24 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I would rather be an optimist than a pessimist. AND............... my original contention stands. Interest rates will lower from here and the dollar will strengthen.

Be optimistic about this:

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=43...pid5436474
05-20-2010 09:26 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(05-20-2010 09:24 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  I would rather be an optimist than a pessimist. AND............... my original contention stands. Interest rates will lower from here and the dollar will strengthen.

or will it just strengthen against the euro?
05-20-2010 09:58 AM
Advertisement

moe24 Offline
Original Lawson Lunatic

I Root For: WMU
(05-20-2010 09:58 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

or will it just strengthen against the euro?

Yeah, the Euro is hardly a great currency to compare to these days. Thanks Greece. Though I would settle for the dollar to be strong against the Canadian Dollar at this point.
05-20-2010 10:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Give me one that it won't strengthen against. Yen??? China pegs it's dollar to us. Hence and therefore.............. King Dollar...... and to quote a line from a great movie "It's good to be the King".
05-20-2010 10:03 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(05-20-2010 10:03 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Give me one that it won't strengthen against. Yen??? China pegs it's dollar to us. Hence and therefore.............. King Dollar...... and to quote a line from a great movie "It's good to be the King".

i don't know enough about this stuff to form an opinion, but is it a good thing to be the nicest garbage can on the block, so to speak?
05-20-2010 10:13 AM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-20-2010 10:13 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-20-2010 10:03 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Give me one that it won't strengthen against. Yen??? China pegs it's dollar to us. Hence and therefore.............. King Dollar...... and to quote a line from a great movie "It's good to be the King".

i don't know enough about this stuff to form an opinion, but is it a good thing to be the nicest garbage can on the block, so to speak?

I wouldn't be taking advice from Mach.
05-20-2010 10:15 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Interest rates don't have anywhere to drop.

You being an optimist or pessimist matters not. Reality is like that.

Certainly the lesson learned is that when the gov't (or anyone) puts $800B into the economy, it will have an effect. You can even trot out your Keynesian multiplier if you choose.

You made the right call to take advantage of that.

What you are denying is that there is a cost to that $800B, and the cost is higher than the benefit.

That's why I'd recommend that anyone who wants to understand economics should spend some time studying statistical mechanics. The principles are more than analogous...I believe they are identical.

Greece is seeing it. Iceland is seeing it. Italy, Spain and Portugal are watching it come up fairly quickly.

At an individual level, you may be better off. The aggregate is not.
05-20-2010 10:19 AM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
This will be of no interest to those who live in an alternate reality.

Quote:Stocks dive, Dow off 376 on world economic worries

NEW YORK – Stocks plunged again Thursday as more investors woke up to the possibility that economic problems such as Europe's debt crisis might spread around the world and stop the growing recovery in the U.S.

The Dow Jones industrial average fell 376 points, its biggest one-day point drop since February 2009, and all the major indexes were down well over 3 percent. Meanwhile, interest rates fell sharply in the Treasury market as investors once again sought the safety of U.S. government debt.

With Thursday's drop, the Standard & Poor's 500 index, considered the best indicator of the stock market's performance, is down almost 12 percent from its 2010 high close of 1,217.28, reached April 23. That means the market is officially in what's called a correction, a drop of 10 percent or more from a recent high. This is the first correction since stock indexes hit 12-year lows in March last year. The fact it has occurred in just 19 trading days shows how anxious traders are right now.

Analysts said there was no big event to set off Thursday's selling. More investors seemed to be grasping the possibility that the U.S. recovery could be in jeopardy. And many were wondering whether the stock market's big rebound since March 2009 may not have been entirely justified.

"The economic recovery story has started to look like a mirage and the new reality is a return to credit crunch conditions" like those seen during the financial crisis, said Tom Samuels, manager of the Palantir Fund in Houston. "If that's correct, stock prices are well ahead of economic reality."

Investors are concerned that the debt problems in European nations like Greece and Portugal will spill over to other countries, cause a cascade of massive losses for big banks and in turn halt the economic recovery in countries beyond Europe, including the U.S. They're also worried that China might take steps that will limit its economic growth, which would also affect the U.S. recovery. Analysts said the market is vulnerable to rumors about any of the major economies right now.

Investors appear increasingly convinced that European countries will need to adopt stringent spending cuts to pay down their heavy debt loads, independent market analyst Edward Yardeni said. Such cuts would likely to lead to long economic slump for those countries, a prospect that investors may now be accepting as reality as they sell stocks and the euro, the currency shared by 16 European nations, Yardeni said.

The euro, which has become a key indicator of confidence in Europe's economy, managed to rise to $1.2496 in late afternoon trading, a day after hitting $1.2146, a four-year low. But its advance didn't help stocks.

"The drop in the euro is the initial phase of a long-term, multi-year economic decline in Europe," Yardeni said. "It shows a declining confidence in the workability of the EU (European Union) monetary union, and that's why their stock markets are down."

"It's starting to look like one of these tragic stories were one person falls through the ice, then everyone else rushes in to help and ends up drowning," he added.

The market's slide over the past four weeks on worries about the global economy has been a painful reminder of the turbulent days during the 2008 financial crisis. On April 26, the Dow closed at its highest point since the market hit bottom on March 9, 2009. Since then, it has fallen nearly 1,000 points. It has fallen by at least 100 points in nine of the 18 trading days since its peak.

According to preliminary calculations, the Dow fell 376.36, or 3.6 percent, to 10,068.01.

The S&P 500 fell 43.46, or 3.9 percent, to 1,071.59. The Nasdaq composite index fell 94.36, or 4.1 percent, to 2,204.01.

At the New York Stock Exchange, only 153 stocks rose compared with 2,994 that fell. Volume came to a heavy 2.1 billion shares.

The market got some confirmation from a Federal Reserve official that Europe's problems could be a "potentially serious setback." Fed Governor Daniel Tarullo said that if the debt crisis curbed lending and the flow of credit globally, that would endanger both the U.S. and global recoveries, he says.

"Although we view such a development as unlikely, the swoon in global financial markets earlier this month suggests it is not out of the question," he said in prepared remarks.

Analysts said traders were retreating from any investment thought to be too dangerous to own right now. That has meant heavy selling in stocks, commodities and troubled currencies like the euro.

"Investors are in the midst of a major de-risking period due to debt concerns in Europe and signs of a slowdown in China, and now that's accelerating," said Peter Boockvar, equity strategist at Miller Tabak. "The fundamental concern right now are these threats to global growth."

As investors pulled out of stocks and other risky investments like commodities, they moved into safer investments such as U.S. Treasurys. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note, which moves opposite its price, fell to 3.22 percent from 3.37 percent late Wednesday.

Commodities prices also fell as investors speculated that a weak world economy would curtail demand for raw materials. Crude oil fell $1.86 to $68.01 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Traders were trying to anticipate the scenarios that could occur as Europe struggles to contain its debt problems.

"There's a question out there now that potentially we could be talking about a collapse of the eurozone or countries breaking away from the euro," said Tim Quinlan, an economist at Wells Fargo & Co. As recently as four months ago, that wasn't even considered a possibility, Quinlan said.

Such a stark change in views has unnerved investors. But analysts said they weren't seeing signs that fear is sweeping the market.

"These are not panic losses," said Todd Colvin, a vice president at MF Global Inc. in Chicago. "These guys are taking some profits off the table and taking some capital where they know it will be safe. And where's that? That's cash or even Treasurys."

Still, the Chicago Board Options Exchange's Volatility Index — known as the market's fear gauge — leaped almost 30 percent to its highest level since March 2009. The increase in the VIX signals that traders are bracing for more drops in the market.

The Labor Department's latest employment report added to worries about the global economy.

The department said new claims for unemployment benefits rose by 25,000 to 471,000, their largest amount in three months. That came as an unpleasant surprise to investors who were expecting a slight drop to 440,000. High unemployment remains one of the biggest obstacles to a sustained recovery in the U.S. The latest report snapped a streak of four straight weekly drops and again calls into question the strength of the job market.

Weekly claims have been stuck around 450,000 since January, unable to break closer to the 425,000 range that is considered a sign that employers are regularly hiring new workers.

A private research group reported an unexpected drop in its index of leading economic indicators. The Conference Board's index of future economic activity slipped in April for first drop since the stock market's bottom last year. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters had expected a gain. The slip signals that growth could slow this summer.

The demand for safety rose after Greek workers again took to the streets protesting recently approved budget cuts that were necessary for the country to receive a bailout. Greece was able to repay debt that came due Wednesday only because it had access to a rescue package from the European Union and International Monetary Fund.

In overseas stock trading, Britain's FTSE 100 fell 1.6, Germany's DAX index dropped 2 percent, and France's CAC-40 lost 2.3 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100520/ap_o...all_street
05-20-2010 04:38 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(05-20-2010 09:24 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Interest rates will lower from here and the dollar will strengthen.

I don't know what your overall contention was, but low interest rates aren't necessarily a sign of good things.... See Japan... SOme EERILY similar comparisons to them about 15 years ago.

low interest rates USUALLY mean a slow economy.... and a stronger dollar could simply be because everyone else sucks worse than we do as the Euro seems to be imploding.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2010 06:35 PM by Hambone10.)
05-20-2010 06:34 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
With the Euro tanking, you can pretty much take off the table any consideration that OPEC will use it as a the currency of exchange against the US Dollar.
05-21-2010 02:47 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(05-20-2010 04:38 PM)Paul M Wrote:  This will be of no interest to those who live in an alternate reality.

Quote:Stocks dive, Dow off 376 on world economic worries

NEW YORK – Stocks plunged again Thursday as more investors woke up to the possibility that economic problems such as Europe's debt crisis might spread around the world and stop the growing recovery in the U.S.

The Dow Jones industrial average fell 376 points, its biggest one-day point drop since February 2009, and all the major indexes were down well over 3 percent. Meanwhile, interest rates fell sharply in the Treasury market as investors once again sought the safety of U.S. government debt.

With Thursday's drop, the Standard & Poor's 500 index, considered the best indicator of the stock market's performance, is down almost 12 percent from its 2010 high close of 1,217.28, reached April 23. That means the market is officially in what's called a correction, a drop of 10 percent or more from a recent high. This is the first correction since stock indexes hit 12-year lows in March last year. The fact it has occurred in just 19 trading days shows how anxious traders are right now.

Analysts said there was no big event to set off Thursday's selling. More investors seemed to be grasping the possibility that the U.S. recovery could be in jeopardy. And many were wondering whether the stock market's big rebound since March 2009 may not have been entirely justified.

"The economic recovery story has started to look like a mirage and the new reality is a return to credit crunch conditions" like those seen during the financial crisis, said Tom Samuels, manager of the Palantir Fund in Houston. "If that's correct, stock prices are well ahead of economic reality."

Investors are concerned that the debt problems in European nations like Greece and Portugal will spill over to other countries, cause a cascade of massive losses for big banks and in turn halt the economic recovery in countries beyond Europe, including the U.S. They're also worried that China might take steps that will limit its economic growth, which would also affect the U.S. recovery. Analysts said the market is vulnerable to rumors about any of the major economies right now.

Investors appear increasingly convinced that European countries will need to adopt stringent spending cuts to pay down their heavy debt loads, independent market analyst Edward Yardeni said. Such cuts would likely to lead to long economic slump for those countries, a prospect that investors may now be accepting as reality as they sell stocks and the euro, the currency shared by 16 European nations, Yardeni said.

The euro, which has become a key indicator of confidence in Europe's economy, managed to rise to $1.2496 in late afternoon trading, a day after hitting $1.2146, a four-year low. But its advance didn't help stocks.

"The drop in the euro is the initial phase of a long-term, multi-year economic decline in Europe," Yardeni said. "It shows a declining confidence in the workability of the EU (European Union) monetary union, and that's why their stock markets are down."

"It's starting to look like one of these tragic stories were one person falls through the ice, then everyone else rushes in to help and ends up drowning," he added.

The market's slide over the past four weeks on worries about the global economy has been a painful reminder of the turbulent days during the 2008 financial crisis. On April 26, the Dow closed at its highest point since the market hit bottom on March 9, 2009. Since then, it has fallen nearly 1,000 points. It has fallen by at least 100 points in nine of the 18 trading days since its peak.

According to preliminary calculations, the Dow fell 376.36, or 3.6 percent, to 10,068.01.

The S&P 500 fell 43.46, or 3.9 percent, to 1,071.59. The Nasdaq composite index fell 94.36, or 4.1 percent, to 2,204.01.

At the New York Stock Exchange, only 153 stocks rose compared with 2,994 that fell. Volume came to a heavy 2.1 billion shares.

The market got some confirmation from a Federal Reserve official that Europe's problems could be a "potentially serious setback." Fed Governor Daniel Tarullo said that if the debt crisis curbed lending and the flow of credit globally, that would endanger both the U.S. and global recoveries, he says.

"Although we view such a development as unlikely, the swoon in global financial markets earlier this month suggests it is not out of the question," he said in prepared remarks.

Analysts said traders were retreating from any investment thought to be too dangerous to own right now. That has meant heavy selling in stocks, commodities and troubled currencies like the euro.

"Investors are in the midst of a major de-risking period due to debt concerns in Europe and signs of a slowdown in China, and now that's accelerating," said Peter Boockvar, equity strategist at Miller Tabak. "The fundamental concern right now are these threats to global growth."

As investors pulled out of stocks and other risky investments like commodities, they moved into safer investments such as U.S. Treasurys. The yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note, which moves opposite its price, fell to 3.22 percent from 3.37 percent late Wednesday.

Commodities prices also fell as investors speculated that a weak world economy would curtail demand for raw materials. Crude oil fell $1.86 to $68.01 per barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Traders were trying to anticipate the scenarios that could occur as Europe struggles to contain its debt problems.

"There's a question out there now that potentially we could be talking about a collapse of the eurozone or countries breaking away from the euro," said Tim Quinlan, an economist at Wells Fargo & Co. As recently as four months ago, that wasn't even considered a possibility, Quinlan said.

Such a stark change in views has unnerved investors. But analysts said they weren't seeing signs that fear is sweeping the market.

"These are not panic losses," said Todd Colvin, a vice president at MF Global Inc. in Chicago. "These guys are taking some profits off the table and taking some capital where they know it will be safe. And where's that? That's cash or even Treasurys."

Still, the Chicago Board Options Exchange's Volatility Index — known as the market's fear gauge — leaped almost 30 percent to its highest level since March 2009. The increase in the VIX signals that traders are bracing for more drops in the market.

The Labor Department's latest employment report added to worries about the global economy.

The department said new claims for unemployment benefits rose by 25,000 to 471,000, their largest amount in three months. That came as an unpleasant surprise to investors who were expecting a slight drop to 440,000. High unemployment remains one of the biggest obstacles to a sustained recovery in the U.S. The latest report snapped a streak of four straight weekly drops and again calls into question the strength of the job market.

Weekly claims have been stuck around 450,000 since January, unable to break closer to the 425,000 range that is considered a sign that employers are regularly hiring new workers.

A private research group reported an unexpected drop in its index of leading economic indicators. The Conference Board's index of future economic activity slipped in April for first drop since the stock market's bottom last year. Economists polled by Thomson Reuters had expected a gain. The slip signals that growth could slow this summer.

The demand for safety rose after Greek workers again took to the streets protesting recently approved budget cuts that were necessary for the country to receive a bailout. Greece was able to repay debt that came due Wednesday only because it had access to a rescue package from the European Union and International Monetary Fund.

In overseas stock trading, Britain's FTSE 100 fell 1.6, Germany's DAX index dropped 2 percent, and France's CAC-40 lost 2.3 percent.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100520/ap_o...all_street

How can I put more money in the market!!! It's going no where but up!!! 01-wingedeagle
05-21-2010 05:30 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
You won't see anything from the Lame Stream Media or the Obama Admin on Jobs. It is Obama's dismal failure. His legacy will not be socialism, it will be No jobs created and Gulf oil disaster. Obama is a buffoon of the highest order.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2010 05:50 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
05-21-2010 05:49 AM
Advertisement

NIU05 Online
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(05-21-2010 02:47 AM)WMD Owl Wrote:  With the Euro tanking, you can pretty much take off the table any consideration that OPEC will use it as a the currency of exchange against the US Dollar.

It was just a year or two ago IRAN was accepting Euros for oil. 03-lmfao 03-lmfao
05-21-2010 06:11 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(05-21-2010 05:49 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  You won't see anything from the Lame Stream Media or the Obama Admin on Jobs. It is Obama's dismal failure. His legacy will not be socialism, it will be No jobs created and Gulf oil disaster. Obama is a buffoon of the highest order.

I thought it impossible to be dumber that GB..but..this guy is proving me wrong.
05-21-2010 07:25 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

We're good. See?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_o...employment
05-21-2010 01:06 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(05-21-2010 07:25 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(05-21-2010 05:49 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  You won't see anything from the Lame Stream Media or the Obama Admin on Jobs. It is Obama's dismal failure. His legacy will not be socialism, it will be No jobs created and Gulf oil disaster. Obama is a buffoon of the highest order.

I thought it impossible to be dumber that GB..but..this guy is proving me wrong.

You are so agelast. Compare and contrast. You were one who had no problem singing WMD, WMD long and hard. And those people in NO, you blamed Bush for their plight, You scoffed at the shoe throwing Mahamad, and didn't care when Bush was burned in effigy. You are agelast and foolish.
05-21-2010 08:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.