Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Do they check Transcripts at Harvard?
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Do they check Transcripts at Harvard?
His next job will be in the Obama Administration..

Whiz kid allegedly conned way into Harvard.

Armed with a computer, a baby-faced con man effortlessly bamboozled Harvard University, amassing $46,000 in competitive financial aid based on letters of recommendation he fabricated and educational bragging rights he hadn’t earned, prosecutors have charged.

Even knowing Harvard had caught on to him last fall, accused Ivy League impostor Adam Wheeler, 23, then a senior English major, brazenly tried to get transferred to Yale and Brown universities, Middlesex District Attorney Gerard Leone Jr. yesterday said.

“We can’t know exactly what his purpose was, but it was working for him,” Leone begrudgingly marveled. “This is an elaborate and tangled web of lies and deceit.”

An unnamed Harvard professor blew the whistle on Wheeler when, while reviewing his September applications for Rhodes and Fulbright scholarships boasting of straight A’s, published books and a lecture tour, the professor thought they looked familiar - from another professor’s resume.

Wheeler was arrested yesterday in his home state of Delaware on 20 indictments charging him with larceny, identity fraud and falsifying documents. He had been accepted at Harvard in 2007 as a sophomore transfer student from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a graduate of Phillips Academy in Andover.

Trouble is, Leone said, Wheeler never attended MIT or Phillips and in fact had been booted out of Bowdoin College in Maine for “academic dishonesty.”

The shocking scam accusations raise questions about how thoroughly the world’s most prestigious university screens applicants - questions Harvard yesterday steered back to Leone.

“Federal privacy laws prevent us from discussing individual cases,” a Harvard statement said. “In the rare instance when we discover that someone has falsified his or her application materials, we typically rescind that individual’s admission.”

Leone promised even more details will unfold today when prosecutor John Verner arraigns the accused wannabe whiz kid in Middlesex Superior Court.

MIT declined comment. Phillips spokeswoman Tracy Sweet said, “The individual in this case has had no association whatsoever with Phillips Academy.”

Wheeler came to Bowdoin in 2005, college spokesman Doug Boxer-Cook said. He declined to elaborate on the path Wheeler’s education took after that, only to confirm, “Wheeler is no longer associated with Bowdoin College.”

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/region..._the_crop/
05-19-2010 07:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Do they check Transcripts at Harvard?
I need to hire him for our sales team STAT
05-19-2010 09:11 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Pretty funny stuff. If not for cutting and pasting from the profs resume he would have gotten away with it.
05-19-2010 11:21 AM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Don't know why Harvard had him arrested - the publicity of their inability to see through the BS makes them look bad. They should have quietly told him to leave.
05-19-2010 12:43 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Who the heck cons his way into Harvard only to major in English? He should have been a business major - suits his talents better and with his lack of ethics, he would fit right in.
05-19-2010 01:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.