Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Russian solution to gulf oil leak: Nuke it!
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
03-lmfao

What is it that they say about destroying a village in order to save it?

In past days there have been many reports of what BP might do to close the leaks that have caused millions of gallons of oil to spew into the Gulf of Mexico since April 20. Some of the ideas have bordered on the outlandish.

But the latest proposal probably crosses that border. A Russian newspaper is apparently suggesting that BP try the Soviet Union's successful tack in arresting four natural gas leaks between 1966 and 1981: detonating a nuclear bomb at the site of the leak.

Yes, a popular Russian daily — the Komsomoloskaya Pravda (if you read Russian) — thinks we should go there. Julia Ioffe of True/Slant translated bits of the article, the thrust of it being that an "underground explosion moves the rock, presses on it, and, in essence, squeezes the well's channel." The newspaper puts "the chances of failure" at 20 percent, a gamble "the Americans could certainly risk."

Yes! It's so simple, in fact, that the Soviet Union, a major oil exporter, used this method five times to deal with petrocalamities. The first happened in Uzbekistan, on September 30, 1966, with a blast 1.5 times the strength of the Hiroshima bomb and at a depth of 1.5 kilometers. KP also notes that subterranean nuclear blasts were used as much as 169 times in the Soviet Union to accomplish fairly mundane tasks like creating underground storage spaces for gas or building canals."

While this method may have worked for the Soviets, the circumstances in the Gulf of Mexico are much different. As LiveScience's Jeremy Hsu points out: "The Russians were using nukes to extinguish gas well fires in natural gas fields, not sealing oil wells gushing liquid, so there are big differences, and this method has never been tested in such conditions."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100513/t...ews_ts2052
05-17-2010 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
RE: Russian solution to gulf oil leak: Nuke it!
There was someone talking about this on Fox News today. It seems like a bad idea to me.
05-17-2010 02:49 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Won't somebody this of the children fish?

BTW, there is tremendously interesting reading on the history of possibly (or actually) using nuclear weapons for construction, not destruction...

Start here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chariot_(1958)
05-17-2010 03:29 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
This thread was more fun...

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=434002

... but the psycho, crying, earth-first lady got the video pulled from youtube.
05-17-2010 05:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.