Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBO Adds $115 Billion to ObamaCare Cost Estimate
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
The Dems and Obama's PRIZED Legislation. Time to Put Obama in the Scrap Heap of Politics

By Philip Klein on 5.11.10 @ 5:09PM

The Congressional Budget Office on Tuesday released a new estimate attributing $115 billion in additional spending to the new national health care law, driving the full cost over the first decade to over $1 trillion.
But the CBO cautioned that it didn't have enough information to project all of the additional costs.

The discrepancy between the new figures and the oft-cited $938 billion ObamaCare cost estimate comes because during the health care debate, the media only focused on the cost of the spending provisions aimed at expanding insurance coverage.

But the health care law also had all sorts of other discretionary spending costs, and implementation expenses, that were never calculated into a total figure. These include spending such as $39 billion for the Indian health improvement act; $34 billion in Federal Qualified Health Center grants; $9.1 billion in funding for the National Health Service Corps; and $5 billion to $10 billion in increased costs to the Internal Revenue service.
Add it all up, and it brings the cost of ObamaCare to $1.053 trillion from 2010 to 2019.

However, the way in which the law was drafted left the actual amount to be appropriated up in the air, merely writing "such sums as may be necessary," which prevented the CBO from performing a full cost analysis:
For those activities, the lack of guidance in the legislation about how new activities should be conducted means that, in many cases, CBO does not have a sufficient basis for estimating what the "necessary" amounts might be over the 2010-2020 period.
05-11-2010 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: CBO Adds $115 Billion to ObamaCare Cost Estimate
If they would just triple their estimates, they might get near what it will cost.
05-11-2010 05:35 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Just wait until January 2011 when the REAL numbers come out.
05-11-2010 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
If there is one absolute in the universe it is that ALL government programs expand beyond their original scope and budget. It can be no other way. Government is not incentivized to be restrained and the Constitution is a failed document in that regard. This new program is going to likely be more costly than social security.[/i]
05-11-2010 08:19 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(05-11-2010 08:19 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  If there is one absolute in the universe it is that ALL government programs expand beyond their original scope and budget. It can be no other way. Government is not incentivized to be restrained and the Constitution is a failed document in that regard. This new program is going to likely be more costly than social security.

If there is "new management" in Congress next year, you might see the cost projections revised to something much more realistic.. and that may be enough ammo to get it repealed with a number of votes that will over ride Obama's Veto.
05-11-2010 08:52 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
The government knowingly and willingly provides financials that would make an ENRON exec blush. There are educated people who understand this and still think its okay because they believe they are getting something "free", someone else is paying. Not a sign of integrity when you want/demand someone pay for you.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2010 10:08 PM by NIU05.)
05-11-2010 09:06 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
So when does the revolution start? I'm in.
05-11-2010 09:24 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-11-2010 09:24 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  So when does the revolution start? I'm in.

It started here before morphing over here and is presently most visible here and here.
05-12-2010 12:07 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(05-11-2010 09:24 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  So when does the revolution start? I'm in.

Are you ready to stop paying the gangs? If not...the revolution will just...revolve back to more big government. It is the MONEY that must be cut off to stop the growth of government. Government cant be restrained any other way.

We must starve the beast if we expect to win. Just putting new masters in power will not solve the problem.
05-12-2010 05:50 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
We will crash and burn like Greece, and then maybe the will can be found. Unlike Greece, when we crash there's nobody big enough to bail us out.
05-12-2010 06:38 AM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
BUT.... According to the Dumb (Obama), Dumber (Reid), and Dumbest (Pelosi) this will balance the US budget AND bring down healthcare costs for everyone. By having the government DICTATE the rules the healthcare market will become more open and competitive. 01-wingedeagle
05-13-2010 05:29 AM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Of course when ObamaCare does not work, which we know its doomed to failure, the Washington Emergency Fix It Crew, will have to move to single payer, which is what they wanted from the git go. The non-partisan CBO turned out to be partisan (imagine that) and can never be trusted ever again for a non-partisan estimate. The CBO cooked the books on ObamaCare, and the taxpayer is taking it up the tailpipe.
05-13-2010 09:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.