Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

... so turn them off right now, right in the middle of the sentence ...
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
... so turn them off right now, right in the middle of the sentence ...
[Image: clutter_fuck.PNG]
05-10-2010 01:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: ... so turn them off right now, right in the middle of the sentence ...
I thought there were limits on #commercials aired in a given hour.

Have these limits been changing?

Anyway, this is capitalism. What's your beef GTS?
05-10-2010 08:36 AM
T-Monay820 Offline
Get Rotor-vated!

I Root For: Duke, VPI
I heard that there was actually a shift towards product placement or ads as the DVR gradually becomes more and more common and people don't watch as many of their shows live and skip through the commercials.
05-10-2010 09:10 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
I have a DVR, I really don't care how many commercials there are.
05-10-2010 09:15 AM

(05-10-2010 08:36 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  I thought there were limits on #commercials aired in a given hour.

No to limits.

My beef is the internet is far superior, and the quality of primetime has gone down significantly despite revenues from advertising and time spent advertising going up significantly. It's also capitalist to consume the most superior offering, and TV isn't it.

Although it's not as relevant to me, as I have MythTV and blow through ads.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2010 11:04 AM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
05-10-2010 11:03 AM
DrTorch Offline

(05-10-2010 11:03 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-10-2010 08:36 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  I thought there were limits on #commercials aired in a given hour.

No to limits.

My beef is the internet is far superior, and the quality of primetime has gone down significantly despite revenues from advertising and time spent advertising going up significantly.

Really?

Gone down compared with "The Lucille Ball Show"? Or maybe "Maude." How about "The Facts of Life"? "Gimme a Break"?

Or is it drama that's trailing? Let's not forget that wonderful ABC offering "The Monroes". How about "Matlock"? "Family"?

Kids' shows? They've really declined from "Land of the Lost"? "Hong Kong Phooey?" "Ultraman"?

I don't have TV, so maybe you're right. I'm just not sure that things are any worse...nor am I certain that having a "better" alternative for mind-numbing entertainment is really something to boast about.
05-10-2010 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(05-10-2010 09:15 AM)fsquid Wrote:  I have a DVR, I really don't care how many commercials there are.

Yes...I have started waiting until a program is about at its halfway point...then I go to the DVR and watch it so I can ff through the commercials.
05-10-2010 11:40 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

My beef is the internet is far superior, and the quality of primetime has gone down significantly despite revenues from advertising and time spent advertising going up significantly. It's also capitalist to consume the most superior offering, and TV isn't it.

when you say primetime, do you mean on networks, on cable or on both? Because cable (i guess satellite as well) shows have become huge. I watch Royal Pains, Leverage, Burn Notice and White Collar. And there are more coming. There are also some really good network shows amongst the crap. V, flash forward, big bang theory, CSI, numb3rs (although this will probably be canceled). But on the whole, network shows are getting worse.
05-10-2010 11:41 AM

(05-10-2010 11:41 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

when you say primetime, do you mean on networks, on cable or on both? Because cable (i guess satellite as well) shows have become huge. I watch Royal Pains, Leverage, Burn Notice and White Collar. And there are more coming. There are also some really good network shows amongst the crap. V, flash forward, big bang theory, CSI, numb3rs (although this will probably be canceled). But on the whole, network shows are getting worse.

Both -- but it's much worse on networks. Especially on big time sporting events. March Madness pisses me off immensely. Commercial, two free throws, commercial. LITERALLY!!!!!!
05-10-2010 01:40 PM
DrTorch Offline

(05-10-2010 01:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Both -- but it's much worse on networks. Especially on big time sporting events. March Madness pisses me off immensely. Commercial, two free throws, commercial. LITERALLY!!!!!!

Somebody wrote something similar about the NFL, and this was 15 years ago.

I agree. They're killing their sports w/ this type of thing.
05-10-2010 01:53 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(05-10-2010 01:40 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-10-2010 11:41 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Both -- but it's much worse on networks. Especially on big time sporting events. March Madness pisses me off immensely. Commercial, two free throws, commercial. LITERALLY!!!!!!

yeah, sports on networks blow.
05-10-2010 03:53 PM
Advertisement

dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning
The endless whistles in many American sports play a substantial role in this.

You don't see nearly as many commercials in Rugby and Soccer matches, because the refs aren't constantly stopping play.
05-10-2010 04:14 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(05-10-2010 04:14 PM)dwr0109 Wrote:  The endless whistles in many American sports play a substantial role in this.

You don't see nearly as many commercials in Rugby and Soccer matches, because the refs aren't constantly stopping play.

definitely one thing that's good about baseball
05-10-2010 04:41 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE

There might be limits where Kiddie-shows are concerned. I'm pretty sure that such limits were in force throughout the 50s-60s-70s-80s. Don't know if those limits are still in force or not.

I don't think there have ever been limits on non-youth programming, although the business climate has sort of gradually shifted so that more ads are shown in prime-time. In part, this is to help recoup the cost of expensive shows like "Lost", where each episode only lasts 42-43 minutes, including credits.

I know that back in the 1960s, popular, high-rated shows like "The Fugitive" and "Mission: Impossible" lasted about 50 minutes per episode. I have season one ('66-'67) of Mission on DVD and the episodes typically go about 50:00 to 50:20.
05-10-2010 05:01 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
wow, native. That's my biggest peeve... when the actual show is only 15 minutes long, you don't get much real writing/storytelling
05-10-2010 05:49 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-10-2010 05:49 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  wow, native. That's my biggest peeve... when the actual show is only 15 minutes long, you don't get much real writing/storytelling

When the adverts are better written, produced, and acted than the main program--who cares?
05-10-2010 06:39 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
The funy thing about commercials is how politically correct they are. With commercials containing several people you often see a black person, Asian person, woman or whatever. The truth of the matter is the largest populations of this country are white and hispanic - wouldn't you target those people by using actors you feel your audience would be most comfortable with? If the liberals are correct and we conservatives are all a bunch of racist sexists then using a black female to sell a product would elimate that entire demographic.....sorry, ranting a little.

Has anyone noticed how the environment has crept into the message of many commercials? Like who gives a ****?
05-10-2010 09:35 PM
Jesterondirt Offline
Real racing happens on dirt!

I Root For: GoldenHurricane
I doubt anyone really cares, but Im a racing fan. on a different board we were talking about how many commercials that they are pumping into NASCAR these days, especially under green flags. There are sponsors all over the tracks, cars, driver suits etc.... and they still have to interupt a race to show commercials. I think they should make the sponsors of the drivers/teams pay a broadcast fee to keep commercials to minimum.
05-15-2010 02:35 AM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-10-2010 09:35 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  The funy thing about commercials is how politically correct they are. With commercials containing several people you often see a black person, Asian person, woman or whatever. The truth of the matter is the largest populations of this country are white and hispanic - wouldn't you target those people by using actors you feel your audience would be most comfortable with? If the liberals are correct and we conservatives are all a bunch of racist sexists then using a black female to sell a product would elimate that entire demographic.....sorry, ranting a little.

Has anyone noticed how the environment has crept into the message of many commercials? Like who gives a ****?

Most commercials have a group of white people with a black dude somewhere in the mix. Usually, for commercials featuring a single person they want to go as racially neutral as possible. But black people and asian people are all in the commercials is because of buying power. We might not have the numbers that hispanics have but we are second in buying power, coming up on $1 trillion or something like that.
05-15-2010 07:10 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(05-10-2010 09:35 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  The funy thing about commercials is how politically correct they are. With commercials containing several people you often see a black person, Asian person, woman or whatever. The truth of the matter is the largest populations of this country are white and hispanic - wouldn't you target those people by using actors you feel your audience would be most comfortable with? If the liberals are correct and we conservatives are all a bunch of racist sexists then using a black female to sell a product would elimate that entire demographic.....sorry, ranting a little.

Just what I expect from a rightie. "Who gives a **** about the environment". Greed and profits is what it is all about. As long as you get yours, you could care less about anything else.
05-15-2010 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.