Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Leases sought to test wind turbines off Ga. coast
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Leases sought to test wind turbines off Ga. coast
[Image: wind%20farm.jpg]

Quote:BRUNSWICK, Ga. - Southern Co. has asked the U.S. Department of the Interior for ocean leases off the coasts of Jekyll Island and Savannah to erect research towers to determine the feasibility of constructing offshore wind turbines.

The Atlanta-based company wants to construct towers to support equipment to measure wind speeds and directions, hurricane resistance and to gather other data determine if wind turbines may be viable as an alternative energy source in Georgia.

A two-year study the company conducted with Georgia Tech found favorable conditions for wind turbine technology five miles off Georgia' coast, where average wind speed was 16 to 17 mph.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news...s-ga-coast

This is going to be GREAT for fishing! This is where SouthGAEagle is from.
05-07-2010 12:40 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: Leases sought to test wind turbines off Ga. coast
(05-07-2010 12:40 PM)Rebel Wrote:  [Image: wind%20farm.jpg]

Quote:BRUNSWICK, Ga. - Southern Co. has asked the U.S. Department of the Interior for ocean leases off the coasts of Jekyll Island and Savannah to erect research towers to determine the feasibility of constructing offshore wind turbines.

The Atlanta-based company wants to construct towers to support equipment to measure wind speeds and directions, hurricane resistance and to gather other data determine if wind turbines may be viable as an alternative energy source in Georgia.

A two-year study the company conducted with Georgia Tech found favorable conditions for wind turbine technology five miles off Georgia' coast, where average wind speed was 16 to 17 mph.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news...s-ga-coast

This is going to be GREAT for fishing! This is where SouthGAEagle is from.
Oil spills are GREAT for fishing too. Idiot.
05-07-2010 01:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-07-2010 01:00 PM)RobertN Wrote:  Oil spills are GREAT for fishing too. Idiot.

God, you are such a f'n dumb***. Compare the seepage/spillage by that one oil rig to natural seepage that occurs on a DAILY basis. NO, moron, an oil spill isn't good for fishing. It's also not something that can't be rectified. Another thing, how many major oil spills have occurred offshore of the American coastline since we've been drilling offshore, dumba$$.
05-07-2010 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Query:

If all offshore drilling and production was stopped tomorrow, and nothing else changed, we would be more likely to have
(a) more oil spills, and more large spills, or
(b) fewer oil spills, and fewer large oil spills.

History says the answer is pretty clear, and it may surprise you.
05-07-2010 01:13 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(05-07-2010 01:11 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(05-07-2010 01:00 PM)RobertN Wrote:  Oil spills are GREAT for fishing too. Idiot.

God, you are such a f'n dumb***. Compare the seepage/spillage by that one oil rig to natural seepage that occurs on a DAILY basis. NO, moron, an oil spill isn't good for fishing. It's also not something that can't be rectified. Another thing, how many major oil spills have occurred offshore of the American coastline since we've been drilling offshore, dumba$$.

My response was going to be "so are oil platforms". But, the windmills are prettier.
05-07-2010 02:20 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(05-07-2010 12:40 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Georgia Tech

03-cool
05-07-2010 03:41 PM
Paul of Troy Offline
The Man Who Watches

I Root For: Tennessee, Troy
Quote:Will they interfere with fishing?

Given the relatively small area of seabed that is required there is no evidence to suggest that total fish catch will decline as a result of wind farm developments; if anything the opposite is true. Fish stocks have been in decline for many years due to overfishing. Many environmental groups believe that wind farms will provide welcome sanctuary for fish spawning as well as refuge from intensive fisheries activity.

The wind industry is working actively with the fishing industry to ensure, as the oil and gas industry has done before it, that the fishing industry is not disadvantaged by the growth of offshore wind farms.

http://www.awea.org/faq/wwt_offshore.htm...%20fishing

http://www.wind-energy-the-facts.org/en/...-fish.html
05-07-2010 08:47 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-07-2010 08:47 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  

Given the relatively small area of seabed that is required there is no evidence to suggest that total fish catch will decline as a result of wind farm developments; if anything the opposite is true. Fish stocks have been in decline for many years due to overfishing. Many environmental groups believe that wind farms will provide welcome sanctuary for fish spawning as well as refuge from intensive fisheries activity.

The wind industry is working actively with the fishing industry to ensure, as the oil and gas industry has done before it, that the fishing industry is not disadvantaged by the growth of offshore wind farms.

Not my point. As history shows it will significantly increase the fish population in the area. It's why anglers like me like this idea.
05-07-2010 08:55 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(05-07-2010 08:55 PM)Rebel Wrote:  
(05-07-2010 08:47 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  

Not my point. As history shows it will significantly increase the fish population in the area. It's why anglers like me like this idea.

Is your Boat still on the Gulf Coast of Florida?
05-07-2010 09:31 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Wind power is fine...when the damn wind blows.

One of the places the wind almost always blows is over the prairies...Too bad the cost of power transmission from this area would be so costly.
05-07-2010 10:37 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(05-07-2010 01:00 PM)RobertN Wrote:  This is going to be GREAT for fishing! This is where SouthGAEagle is from.
Oil spills are GREAT for fishing too. Idiot.
[/quote]
Rob, aren't you worried that a lobster might claw its way through the protective jacket of the transmission cables and electrocute himself?
05-07-2010 10:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.