Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Students sent home for wearing American flag..
EagleRockCafe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Eagles
OT: Students sent home for wearing American flag..
This immigration stuff is going to get nasty. Five h.s. students were sent home for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo day. I guess Mexican flags would have been okay. Time for this country to wake up. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and the vast majority of America knows it. The sports tie in to this is the Phoenix Suns wearing the Los Suns jerseys in support of illegal immigration. I hope they lose every game from now on.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-bea...45969.html
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2010 03:01 PM by EagleRockCafe.)
05-06-2010 02:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
RE: OT: Students sent home for wearing American flag..
it's that damn Obama's fault...

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
05-06-2010 02:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning
(05-06-2010 02:33 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  This immigration stuff is going to get nasty. Five h.s. students were sent home for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo day. I guess Mexican flags would have been okay. Time for this country to wake up. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and the vast majority of America knows it. The sports tie in to this is the Phoenix Suns wearing the Los Suns jerseys in support of illegal immigration. I hope they lose every game from now on.

For the record, the Suns say they wore those jerseys because of the "racial-profiling," civil-liberties aspects of the law. Not "in support of illegal immigration."

Since this thread is destined for the Spin Room anyway, here's an article about how Mexico handles illegal immigration.

"Mexico has a single, streamlined law that ensures that foreign visitors and immigrants are:
- in the country legally;
- have the means to sustain themselves economically;
- not destined to be burdens on society;
- of economic and social benefit to society;
- of good character and have no criminal records; and
- contributors to the general well-being of the nation.

The law also ensures that:
- immigration authorities have a record of each foreign visitor;
- foreign visitors do not violate their visa status;
- foreign visitors are banned from interfering in the country's internal politics;
- foreign visitors who enter under false pretenses are imprisoned or deported;
- foreign visitors violating the terms of their entry are imprisoned or deported;
- those who aid in illegal immigration will be sent to prison.

Who could disagree with such a law? It makes perfect sense. The Mexican constitution strictly defines the rights of citizens -- and the denial of many fundamental rights to non-citizens, illegal and illegal. Under the constitution, the Ley General de Poblacion, or General Law on Population, spells out specifically the country's immigration policy."

http://www.canadafreepress.com/2007/lillpop022707.htm
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2010 02:53 PM by dwr0109.)
05-06-2010 02:51 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(05-06-2010 02:33 PM)EagleRockCafe Wrote:  This immigration stuff is going to get nasty. Five h.s. students were sent home for wearing American flags on Cinco de Mayo day. I guess Mexican flags would have been okay. Time for this country to wake up. Illegal immigration is a huge problem and the vast majority of America knows it. The sports tie in to this is the Phoenix Suns wearing the Los Suns jerseys in support of illegal immigration. I hope they lose every game from now on.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national..._mayo.html

That was local news where I am, and the real kicker of the story was a couple of the kids were Mexican-American. The last thing I heard was the School Board did not back the actions of the Principal. I hope he gets the ole heave ho!
05-06-2010 02:59 PM
Stallion Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I'm pretty sure the reaction of this poster is exactly why the immigration problem does not have a political solution. Its a rare issue that cuts through traditional party lines. Remember George Bush made immigration reform a key proposal of his second term and barely could get any support from his own Republican Party. Ask yourself why and then you will be on your way to understanding what a difficult political issue this is. I can guarantee you it won't be solved by political posturing or hate speech directed toward Mexicans but can only be be solved by working across party lines to negotiate a fair and reasonable compromise-apparently a lost art in Washington.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2010 03:17 PM by Stallion.)
05-06-2010 03:10 PM
HowardD11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU & VCU
(05-06-2010 03:10 PM)Stallion Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the reaction of this poster is exactly why the immigration problem does not have a political solution. Its a rare issue that cuts through traditional party lines. Remember George Bush made immigration reform a key proposal of his second term and barely could get any support from his own Republican Party. Ask yourself why and then you will be on your way to understanding what a difficult political issue this is. I can guarantee you it won't be solved by political posturing or hate speech directed toward Mexicans but can only be be solved by working across party lines to negotiate a fair and reasonable compromise-apparently a lost art in Washington.

04-rock There it is.... 04-rock
05-06-2010 03:23 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
Gee, I just have to wonder what would happen in D.C. or northern Va., where many of our "political class" lives if a prominent Senator's family member were kidnapped, raped, maimed or killed by a group of MS13 gang members? Suddenly, they might understand what the residents of AZ have to deal with. You know - being on the front lines, so to speak. Perhaps that would give them a different perspective. Then, perhaps the rest of the critters in Congress might decide that the situation regarding our porous borders and broken immigration system needed immediate attention. In which case states wouldn't have to take the action (and the heat it generates) by themselves.

Just saying.
05-06-2010 03:38 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-06-2010 03:38 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Gee, I just have to wonder what would happen in D.C. or northern Va., where many of our "political class" lives if a prominent Senator's family member were kidnapped, raped, maimed or killed by a group of MS13 gang members? Suddenly, they might understand what the residents of AZ have to deal with. You know - being on the front lines, so to speak. Perhaps that would give them a different perspective. Then, perhaps the rest of the critters in Congress might decide that the situation regarding our porous borders and broken immigration system needed immediate attention. In which case states wouldn't have to take the action (and the heat it generates) by themselves.

Just saying.

You mean like the guy who insisted on new swimming pool laws, or the state legislator from NY who is proposing assumed consent for organ donation?

Yeah, they're so concerned w/ pet projects that they don't bother w/ legit issues like immigration.

Anyway, it would have to be high profile. I worked for an agency w/ a building in Arlington, VA that didn't have the nicest neighbors. The response? A message from security to "be careful".
05-06-2010 03:46 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(05-06-2010 03:10 PM)Stallion Wrote:  I can guarantee you it won't be solved by political posturing or hate speech directed toward Mexicans but can only be be solved by working across party lines to negotiate a fair and reasonable compromise-apparently a lost art in Washington.

Uh, you mean following the laws that are already on the books? The ones where we deport people here illegally and not extend amnesty to criminals?

There is no political work that needs to be done. Just enforce the law, and keep the politicians away from that.
05-06-2010 05:42 PM
sparkomemphis Offline
member of UofM Atl alumni club.

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

NCAAbbs LUGSkunkworksDonatorsDonators
(05-06-2010 05:42 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
(05-06-2010 03:10 PM)Stallion Wrote:  I can guarantee you it won't be solved by political posturing or hate speech directed toward Mexicans but can only be be solved by working across party lines to negotiate a fair and reasonable compromise-apparently a lost art in Washington.

Uh, you mean following the laws that are already on the books? The ones where we deport people here illegally and not extend amnesty to criminals?

There is no political work that needs to be done. Just enforce the law, and keep the politicians away from that.

The political work that needs doing is fund INS/ICE , border patrol and the building of the fence.

The fines on Tyson Chicken, Mohawk Industries, etc would generate some/most/all the needed revenue. The savings in social services should be more than what is spent in total.
05-06-2010 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
I personally do not agree with this law. I am totally against illegal immigration but I am equally against profiling. It would make the lives of everyday Mexican-Americans that much harder because there is the potential that someone like Arpaio would start to check IDs if you look "suspicious".
05-06-2010 07:20 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Profiling is illegal, Nomad. The law is clear. Your fears are no more reasonable than any other minority group... blacks, Mulsims, Jews, Chinese, gays claiming they were profiled. If it happens, you file suit and win... usually costing the offender his or her job.
05-06-2010 08:30 PM
dwr0109 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Winning
(05-06-2010 08:30 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Profiling is illegal, Nomad. The law is clear. Your fears are no more reasonable than any other minority group... blacks, Mulsims, Jews, Chinese, gays claiming they were profiled. If it happens, you file suit and win... usually costing the offender his or her job.

Main Entry: profiling
Function: noun
Date: 1980

: the act or process of extrapolating information about a person based on known traits or tendencies <consumer profiling>; specifically : the act of suspecting or targeting a person on the basis of observed characteristics or behavior <racial profiling>

If a group of Klan members were harassing residents in a predominately black neighborhood, should a police officer pay special attention to a group of young white males in a large truck who don't seem to belong there?
05-07-2010 01:15 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(05-06-2010 03:10 PM)Stallion Wrote:  I'm pretty sure the reaction of this poster is exactly why the immigration problem does not have a political solution. Its a rare issue that cuts through traditional party lines. Remember George Bush made immigration reform a key proposal of his second term and barely could get any support from his own Republican Party. Ask yourself why and then you will be on your way to understanding what a difficult political issue this is. I can guarantee you it won't be solved by political posturing or hate speech directed toward Mexicans but can only be be solved by working across party lines to negotiate a fair and reasonable compromise-apparently a lost art in Washington.

You mean they are going to end the welfare state?....beccause...without doing that...this problem is going to continue. There is simply no way to stop motivated people from seeking a better life....We can at least not give them incentives to come.
05-07-2010 06:38 AM
ummechengr Offline
C'mon....really!?!?!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-07-2010 01:15 AM)dwr0109 Wrote:  
(05-06-2010 08:30 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Profiling is illegal, Nomad. The law is clear. Your fears are no more reasonable than any other minority group... blacks, Mulsims, Jews, Chinese, gays claiming they were profiled. If it happens, you file suit and win... usually costing the offender his or her job.

Main Entry: profiling
Function: noun
Date: 1980

: the act or process of extrapolating information about a person based on known traits or tendencies <consumer profiling>; specifically : the act of suspecting or targeting a person on the basis of observed characteristics or behavior <racial profiling>

If a group of Klan members were harassing residents in a predominately black neighborhood, should a police officer pay special attention to a group of young white males in a large truck who don't seem to belong there?

Yes, they should pay special attention. That wouldn't be profiling as the police officer surely patrols that neighborhood often and is familiar with the general demographics of the residents. A large truck filled with people never seen before in this neighborhood would be defined as suspicious, especially since they would fit the description of suspects wanted in connection with the harassment.

Some friends of mine were once pulled over by about 3 police cars and detained because they fit the description of some bank robbers, including the vehicle. They were quickly released once everything was cleared up.
05-07-2010 10:34 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Sounds to me like the law was followed... so what's the problem
05-07-2010 12:30 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

If you're male you pay more for car insurance. That's profiling too.
05-07-2010 04:23 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(05-07-2010 04:23 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

If you're male you pay more for car insurance. That's profiling too.

That's a private company. Apples and Buicks.
05-07-2010 05:45 PM
Quote this message in a reply
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Another kid suspended 3 days for taking down a Mexican flag.

I could respect someone else's flag if I were visiting their country, but I couldn't give a ratsass about their flag being flown here. Someone wants to be Mexican, or anything else, by all means GO be a Mexican.
05-07-2010 07:31 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(05-07-2010 07:31 PM)Paul M Wrote:  Another kid suspended 3 days for taking down a Mexican flag.

I could respect someone else's flag if I were visiting their country, but I couldn't give a ratsass about their flag being flown here. Someone wants to be Mexican, or anything else, by all means GO be a Mexican.

04-cheers
05-07-2010 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.