Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article: Big 12 should look to UCF, USF
UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
Article: Big 12 should look to UCF, USF
Brandon Helwig of UCFSports.com (Rivals) Wrote:Three years ago, the University of Central Florida football program christened their brand new on-campus stadium by welcoming the University of Texas to Orlando.

A capacity crowd of 45,266 packed inside Bright House Networks Stadium on Sept. 15, 2007 where they saw the Knights take a fourth-quarter lead before eventually falling to the No. 6 Longhorns, 35-32.

In the future, could we see Texas return to UCF for a conference game? Could the Big 12, not the BIG EAST, be the future destination for UCF's athletic programs?

Throwing out conference realignment scenarios - by fans and media alike - is a popular thing these days, so here's mine:

A marriage of the two biggest football hotbeds in the nation-- Texas and Florida. A future Big 12 that includes UCF and USF.

Big 12 Should Look to UCF, USF
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 08:49 AM by UCF-ENG.)
05-05-2010 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
RE: Article: Big 12 should look to UCF, USF
That has about a much credibility and thought as most of the scenarios thrown around on here.

Would have been better titled: "UCF/USF should whore themselves to the Big XII at every opportunity in the hopes of joining a conference with Texas"
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 09:17 AM by 99Tiger.)
05-05-2010 09:15 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Mr. Helwig is a provincial fool.
05-05-2010 09:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

(05-05-2010 09:19 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Mr. Helwig is a provincial fool.

I have a feeling that neither of you actually read the article, it is well written, and thought out. It does not surprise me that Memphis fans would personally atack Brandon, I would just like to note that unlike the writers of a lot of other editorial articles, he does not take shots at other "canadates" or really anybody for that matter... He just presents some of his thoughs, along with some facts, and let's the rest be... It's a shame that other editorials (particularly in politics) don't show the same restraint.
05-05-2010 09:29 AM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

Crappies
(05-05-2010 09:29 AM)UCF-ENG Wrote:  

I have a feeling that neither of you actually read the article, it is well written, and thought out. It does not surprise me that Memphis fans would personally atack Brandon, I would just like to note that unlike the writers of a lot of other editorial articles, he does not take shots at other "canadates" or really anybody for that matter... He just presents some of his thoughs, along with some facts, and let's the rest be... It's a shame that other editorials (particularly in politics) don't show the same restraint.

I didn't attack him at all...and I did stop reading the article halfway though (just went back and finished it). But it was basically an opinion piece roughly equivalent to some of the theories posted on message boards. I never accused him of taking shots at other programs.

I just said it's nothing dissimilar to posts on message boards. He just put a little more time into it that message board hacks (myself included) do.
05-05-2010 09:55 AM
MichaelSavage Offline
Banned

I Root For: WVU, Nebraska
I've heard worse ideas. And the divisions would be easy to do; just move Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the North and have USF & UCF replace them in the South.
05-05-2010 09:57 AM
Advertisement

PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
That's a large ass footprint though
05-05-2010 10:26 AM
JunkYardCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
I've often thought that a "Gulf Coast Conference" could really be a force. Seriously, so many of the top programs are in states that touch the coast that you could easily form a power conference better than either the SEC or Big 12 or ACC.
05-05-2010 10:28 AM
BullsBEAST Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF Bulls
The thought of the Big 12 coming for USF has crossed my mind, id love that scenario.

Would be better if it were USF, Louisville, and WVU being the 3 that go to the Big 12 though. Those are the 2 big east teams id really hate to stop playing
05-05-2010 10:30 AM
1badbird Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cards
No more of a stretch than some other opinions. I just don't know if adding the 4th and 5th teams from Florida to a league already consisting of the 3rd and 4th teams from Texas would be all that appealing. Now there is enough star power at the top were it may work.
05-05-2010 10:35 AM
UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

(05-05-2010 10:30 AM)BullsBEAST Wrote:  The thought of the Big 12 coming for USF has crossed my mind, id love that scenario.

Would be better if it were USF, Louisville, and WVU being the 3 that go to the Big 12 though. Those are the 2 big east teams id really hate to stop playing

Yeah, those three may be a more likely scenero, I think Brandon's point though was that if your going to go east at all with the Big 12, why not do so in a very limited manor, specifically targeting Florida, and with a pair of travel partners so that they aren't on an island by themselves...
05-05-2010 10:37 AM
Advertisement

UCF-ENG Offline
1st String

(05-05-2010 10:35 AM)1badbird Wrote:  No more of a stretch than some other opinions. I just don't know if adding the 4th and 5th teams from Florida to a league already consisting of the 3rd and 4th teams from Texas would be all that appealing. Now there is enough star power at the top were it may work.

You also have Franks point that when a conference has star power like Texas and Oklahoma, their star power can be used to leverage the DMA's of new conference mates in TV negotiations... For example, it may give Brighthouse networks in Florida that much more incentive to carry the "longhorn network" if Texas is going to be playing USF and UCF every year, both programs that Brighthouse supports regionally.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 10:46 AM by UCF-ENG.)
05-05-2010 10:43 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
The Big 12 would have to be in desperation mode to even consider two non-brand name teams ( yes that includes you USF, you've had some good seasons but no one thinks of you in the same way as the Big 3) from so far away, even if it is Florida. I can think of 10 other teams the Big 12 would go after before those two.

Will never, ever happen.
05-05-2010 10:44 AM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
Yes, it is was well written and yes it's no further a stretch than some other opinions....but that doesn't make it plausible. Just look at the teams any way you want to stack them and UCF/USF stand out like a sore thumb. IMO, I don't see this as a legitimate possibility.
05-05-2010 10:52 AM
BlazerOfUAB Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Small Guy
(05-05-2010 09:15 AM)99Tiger Wrote:  That has about a much credibility and thought as most of the scenarios thrown around on here.

Would have been better titled: "UCF/USF should whore themselves to the Big XII at every opportunity in the hopes of joining a conference with Texas just like Memphis is whoring themselves to join a conference with Kansas"

Fixed for ya!
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 11:00 AM by BlazerOfUAB.)
05-05-2010 10:59 AM
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

Crappies
Touché! 04-cheers

...except we aren't writing Rivals.com articles about it!
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 11:03 AM by 99Tiger.)
05-05-2010 11:03 AM
Advertisement

Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(05-05-2010 09:29 AM)UCF-ENG Wrote:  

I have a feeling that neither of you actually read the article,

You are right in my case. The title + location of the source was sufficent for my conclusion.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2010 11:36 AM by Gray Avenger.)
05-05-2010 11:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Without opening it, guessing that article is from a fan site of one of the schools? Only explanation.
05-05-2010 12:01 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
I am actually really surprised Brandon wrote this. I would expect this sort of article from Andrea Adelson but not Brandon. He makes a few good points but nothing of real substance. It's all opinion unless he has a source of at least interest on the part of the Big 12. Honestly if Mizzou and Nebraska left the Big 12 I would lean more toward a Texas and Texas A&M to the SEC way before the Big 12 go after UCF/USF.

One thing I really didn't like about the article was that he kind of disregards SEC expansion even though we have comments from the SEC saying they would pull the trigger if massive expansion started.
05-05-2010 12:29 PM
Pumpkin Man Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Jim Leavitt
(05-05-2010 10:44 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  The Big 12 would have to be in desperation mode to even consider two non-brand name teams ( yes that includes you USF, you've had some good seasons but no one thinks of you in the same way as the Big 3) from so far away, even if it is Florida. I can think of 10 other teams the Big 12 would go after before those two.

Will never, ever happen.

Who are the 10 teams? TCU? Houston? Memphis? Louisville? The Big 12 expansion pool will be non-BCS teams and maybe BIG EAST. It makes just as much sense as other scenarios, provided the initial shakeup only includes the Big Ten and possibly the PAC-10 making moves (not the SEC).
05-05-2010 02:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.