Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I love stories like this
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
I love stories like this
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010...r-funding/

Let the "save the world w/ other people's money" factions fight each other to the death. It's great seeing the pettiness and coniving that these people possess, directed at each other.
05-03-2010 12:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
RE: I love stories like this
I'd say that the groups seeking legal remedies have a valid point. As a former public school teacher, I watched the union and education "establishment" fight tooth and nail against even allowing charter schools (and vouchers). Districts across the country and especially big urban districts put all kinds of hurdles in front of any group trying to establish charter schools. Then, if a charter does get granted, they try their best to deny them funds or make them operate with less than their public school counterparts.

Short of home schooling, which many parents can't do because of logistics, vouchers are a good way to get your kids out of the PC indoctrination often seen in our public schools and into private schools. The next best is charter schools.

If I had school age kids right now, I'd do all I could to either home school them or get them into a private school.
05-03-2010 03:46 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(05-03-2010 03:46 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I'd say that the groups seeking legal remedies have a valid point.

Agreed. I just think the argument looks like this

Public school official: Think of the children!

Charter school official: No, you think of the children!

Public school official: I am thinking of the children. You think of the children!

Charter school official: We're thinking of the children!
05-03-2010 03:50 PM
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
03-lmfao

Point taken.
05-03-2010 03:53 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Had an interesting conversation with an official at a successful charter school in Houston for the LEAST advantaged in the city. They have a 94% college acceptance rate BTW.

They said they get no funds for facilities or administration. Only books and teachers. their goal was to operate on what they are given (which equals what public schools get for teachers and students only) and only solicit donations for facilities... meaning the administrative costs come out of what public schools pay for teachers and other things. They did it to make the point that it can be done without any more money than is already being spent.

These kids were WITHOUT A DOUBT, the most polite, attentive and well behaved children I have EVER seen. It was honestly almost scary. Standing in lines as young as 5... no turning around and talking... no playing around. When they sat on the floor, they sat legs crossed and fairly straight up.... in lines. NO unnecessary talking at all... They took CARE of the facility.

Can you imagine 200 3rd graders going into the Gym for a presentation by the former first lady who brought her 2 dogs... and her being able to talk without a mic??

It can absolutely be done if we stop making excuses for people.
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2010 04:10 PM by Hambone10.)
05-03-2010 04:08 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(05-03-2010 04:08 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Had an interesting conversation with an official at a successful charter school in Houston for the LEAST advantaged in the city. They have a 94% college acceptance rate BTW.

They said they get no funds for facilities or administration. Only books and teachers. their goal was to operate on what they are given (which equals what public schools get for teachers and students only) and only solicit donations for facilities... meaning the administrative costs come out of what public schools pay for teachers and other things. They did it to make the point that it can be done without any more money than is already being spent.

These kids were WITHOUT A DOUBT, the most polite, attentive and well behaved children I have EVER seen. It was honestly almost scary. Standing in lines as young as 5... no turning around and talking... no playing around. When they sat on the floor, they sat legs crossed and fairly straight up.... in lines. NO unnecessary talking at all... They took CARE of the facility.

Can you imagine 200 3rd graders going into the Gym for a presentation by the former first lady who brought her 2 dogs... and her being able to talk without a mic??

KIPP?
05-03-2010 07:03 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

(05-03-2010 07:03 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  
(05-03-2010 04:08 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Had an interesting conversation with an official at a successful charter school in Houston for the LEAST advantaged in the city. They have a 94% college acceptance rate BTW.

KIPP?

YIPP!!
05-03-2010 07:07 PM
Advertisement

WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
(05-03-2010 07:07 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(05-03-2010 07:03 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  

KIPP?

YIPP!!

Those people DO one hell of a job.
05-03-2010 07:14 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

It was really amazing. Seriously... almost scary how well behaved they were.

My son and another two students put on a mini-review from CATS... dressed as Cats... it would have been easy for the kids to lose composure. Mrs Bush's dogs actually attacked my son's "tail" and tore it off. The kids laughed, but nothing crazy.

It was impressive
05-03-2010 07:59 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Sorry to hijack the thread but this story is another one that has me shaking my head but at the same time, doesn't surprise me in the least.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010...ead-h.html
05-05-2010 05:25 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-05-2010 05:25 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Sorry to hijack the thread but this story is another one that has me shaking my head but at the same time, doesn't surprise me in the least.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010...ead-h.html

Unless I'm missing something, that's quite a hijack.
05-05-2010 05:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.