Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Obama Takes Immigration Reform off Agenda
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

Thursday, 29 Apr 2010 09:27 PM

Immigration reform has become the first of President Barack Obama's major priorities dropped from the agenda of an election-year Congress facing voter disillusionment. Sounding the death knell was Obama himself.

The president noted that lawmakers may lack the "appetite" to take on immigration while many of them are up for re-election and while another big legislative issue — climate change — is already on their plate.

"I don't want us to do something just for the sake of politics that doesn't solve the problem," Obama told reporters Wednesday night aboard Air Force One.

Immigration reform was an issue Obama promised Latino groups that he would take up in his first year in office. But several hard realities — a tanked economy, a crowded agenda, election-year politics and lack of political will — led to so much foot-dragging in Congress that, ultimately, Obama decided to set the issue aside.

With that move, the president calculated that an immigration bill would not prove as costly to his party two years from now, when he seeks re-election, than it would today, even though some immigration reformers warned that a delay could so discourage Democratic-leaning Latino voters that they would stay home from the polls in November.

Some Democrats thought pushing a bill through now might help their party, or at least their own re-election prospects.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, whose campaign is struggling in heavily Hispanic Nevada, unveiled an outline — not legislation — on Thursday for an immigration bill at a packed news conference. Asked when it might advance, he declined to set an "arbitrary deadline."

If immigration goes nowhere this year, Democrats can blame Republican resistance, though in reality many Democrats didn't want to deal with an immigration bill this year either.

The Democrats' draft proposal, obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, called for, among other things, meeting border security benchmarks before anyone in the country illegally can become a legal permanent U.S. resident.

Obama praised the outline and said the next step is ironing out a bill. He said his administration will "play an active role" trying to get bipartisan supporters.

Republican Sens. Jon Kyl of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, who had been working with Democrats on immigration reform, criticized the proposal as "nothing more than an attempt to score political points."

By Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered little hope that the issue was still alive on Capitol Hill.

"If there is going to be any movement in this regard, it will require presidential leadership, as well as an appetite, is that the word? ... as well as a willingness to move forward in the Congress," she said.

House Republican leader John Boehner was more blunt. "There is not a chance that immigration is going to move through the Congress," he said Tuesday.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the Democrats' leading advocate for immigration reform, has said he voted for health care reform on the understanding that Obama and congressional Democrats would move a major immigration bill.

Even though he would like to see Latinos turn out to vote for Democrats in 2010, Gutierrez said "many will probably decide to stay home." However, he added, a strict, new immigration law in Arizona may change that dynamic. The law requires law enforcement officers to question anyone they suspect is in the country illegally.

"On one hand you are not going to vote because you don't believe people you voted for are doing a good enough job," Gutierrez said. "Then you say, 'I got to vote, because the enemy is so mean and vindictive, I got to get out there.'"

The Hispanic vote is growing, largely because of Latinos' increasing population. The 9.7 million Latinos who cast ballots in 2008 made up about 7.4 percent of the electorate, according to a 2009 Pew Research Center study.

Hispanic voters helped flip the battleground states of Colorado, Florida, Nevada and New Mexico from Republican to Democratic in the 2008 presidential election.

But even though Latinos' numbers have been increasing, in some parts of the country their portions of voting populations are not large enough to affect election outcomes.

Democrats hold a 254-177 majority in the House, with four vacancies. But 48 are in districts where Republican Arizona Sen. John McCain did better than Obama in the 2008 elections.

Matt Angle, a Democratic political strategist focused on Texas, said it would be worse for Democrats to propose a bill that has no hope of passing or getting Republican support. Doing so would allow Republicans to cherry-pick parts of the bill to use against Democratic candidates, he said.

The Senate also has a number of competitive races, some in states with significant numbers of Hispanic voters, such as in Nevada, Reid's home state. Latinos are about 12-15 percent of likely voters there.

"For Democrats it is critical they can deliver if they want to continue nurturing the support they want from this community," said Clarissa Martinez De Castro, National Council of La Raza immigration and national campaigns director.

——

Associated Press
04-30-2010 11:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
RE: Obama Takes Immigration Reform off Agenda
(04-30-2010 11:01 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  "I don't want us to do something just for the sake of politics that doesn't solve the problem," Obama told reporters Wednesday night aboard Air Force One.

Huh! What the hell was that whole health care thingy? And that upcoming Climate always has and always will Change You Can Believe we are going to tax you for breathing?

(04-30-2010 11:01 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the Democrats' leading advocate for immigration reform, has said he voted for health care reform on the understanding that Obama and congressional Democrats would move a major immigration bill.

01-wingedeagle and 03-lmfao
05-01-2010 08:54 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Quote:Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the Democrats' leading advocate for immigration reform, has said he voted for health care reform on the understanding that Obama and congressional Democrats would move a major immigration bill.
IF Mr Gutierrez is being sincere, then he may be the most spectacularly uninformed, naive individual adult in the United States. Which would be quite a sad status for someone who has been in Congress for 17+ years.

But my guess is that he is not being sincere, rather he's just whining to hear himself whine.
05-01-2010 09:01 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(05-01-2010 08:54 AM)Paul M Wrote:  
(04-30-2010 11:01 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  "I don't want us to do something just for the sake of politics that doesn't solve the problem," Obama told reporters Wednesday night aboard Air Force One.

Huh! What the hell was that whole health care thingy? And that upcoming Climate always has and always will Change You Can Believe we are going to tax you for breathing?

(04-30-2010 11:01 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the Democrats' leading advocate for immigration reform, has said he voted for health care reform on the understanding that Obama and congressional Democrats would move a major immigration bill.

Just because you were misled by rightwing media doesn't mean hcr is not good and it DOES contain some conservative ideas. As for taxing you for breathing. Only the real nutcases on the right-you, S&M(or whatever his name is), SOAF, etc. THis way when you refuse to pay the tax, you stop breathing which is good for society.
05-01-2010 12:22 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(05-01-2010 09:01 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
Quote:Rep. Luis Gutierrez, the Democrats' leading advocate for immigration reform, has said he voted for health care reform on the understanding that Obama and congressional Democrats would move a major immigration bill.
IF Mr Gutierrez is being sincere, then he may be the most spectacularly uninformed, naive individual adult in the United States. Which would be quite a sad status for someone who has been in Congress for 17+ years.

But my guess is that he is not being sincere, rather he's just whining to hear himself whine.
03-lmfao THis coming from a guy posting on a board with a plethora of highly uninformed, naive adults in the US(like SOAF, S&M, Rebel, Torchy etc. I won't say you yet because I don't know all that much about you except you lean right. You may not be as highly uninformed and naive as the rest of the wingnut loons on this board.
05-01-2010 12:32 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
(05-01-2010 12:22 PM)RobertN Wrote:  
(05-01-2010 08:54 AM)Paul M Wrote:  

Just because you were misled by rightwing media doesn't mean hcr is not good and it DOES contain some conservative ideas. As for taxing you for breathing. Only the real nutcases on the right-you, S&M(or whatever his name is), SOAF, etc. THis way when you refuse to pay the tax, you stop breathing which is good for society.

Illegals don't pay taxes for health care - can we make them stop breathing? Can't you see that EVERYTHING Obama has done has raised the amount we all have to pay for?
05-01-2010 01:11 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Gutierrez may, indeed, be more informed and less naive than certain people who write anonymous posts on the internet. (I'm sure his constituents must be so relieved to know that).

I will admit I was not taking such people (anonymous bloggers, etc) into account when I made my earlier comment.
05-01-2010 01:32 PM
GoGold Offline
All American

I Root For: Southern Miss
Looks like my vote for change has been wasted. Obama avoids this issue for politicals reasons. Same old same old. American has been duped.......again.
05-02-2010 06:56 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(05-02-2010 06:56 AM)GoGold Wrote:  Looks like my vote for change has been wasted. Obama avoids this issue for politicals reasons. Same old same old. American has been duped.......again.

Duping people. The Obama way.

Won't raise any taxes a dime for anyone making less than $250,000 a year.
Obamacare will reduce the deficit.

The beat goes on.
05-02-2010 07:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.