Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mexico issues travel alert over new Arizona Law
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Can you travel around Mexico without a passport? Can you get a job in Mexico without being a citizen?

Associated Press
April 27, 2010, 7:55AM

MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s government is warning its citizens about travel to Arizona because of a tough new immigration law there.

The travel alert from the Foreign Relations Department urges Mexicans in Arizona to “act with prudence and respect the framework of local laws.”

It says that the law’s passage shows “an adverse political atmosphere for migrant communities and for all Mexican visitors.”

It says that once the law takes effect, foreigners can be detained if they fail to carry immigration documents. While enforcement details are not yet clear, the alert says “it should be assumed that any Mexican citizen could be bothered and questioned for no other reason at any moment.”
04-27-2010 08:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Mexico issues travel alert over new Arizona Law
Looks like it's working already.
04-27-2010 08:39 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Issuing travel alerts is a step in the right direction. Although they should drop the ridiculous incorrect vernacular, visitors. Beats the hell out of issuing maps, though I don't have any false allusion that the assistance the Mexican government gives it's citizens to break our laws will stop.
04-27-2010 08:53 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(04-27-2010 08:25 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  The travel alert from the Foreign Relations Department urges Mexicans in Arizona to “act with prudence and respect the framework of local laws.”

That's laughable. First that people would need to be told to respect our laws and second that the government doing the telling is the same one who's main function seems to be helping it's people to break those same laws.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2010 09:00 AM by Paul M.)
04-27-2010 08:59 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(04-27-2010 08:59 AM)Paul M Wrote:  
(04-27-2010 08:25 AM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  The travel alert from the Foreign Relations Department urges Mexicans in Arizona to “act with prudence and respect the framework of local laws.”

That's laughable. First that people would need to be told to respect our laws and second that the government doing the telling is the same one who's main function seems to be helping it's people to break those same laws.

Better than the blatant disdain they've expressed in the past. Such a change in tone may dissuade some people.
04-27-2010 09:21 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
This presumes that Mexican Travel Advisories are more effective than Mexican Border Patrol.

I will say that in my experience, Mexican immigrants are probably less likely to break municipal laws than the average American (excepting the obvious INS violations). Their kids (the US Citizens) may be another matter (in aggregate). As far as tourists and workers that come here lawfully (the audience of the travel alert), I consider many of those to be good friends and great people. Some of the comments above are very badly misplaced and blame the transgressions illegal immigrants on every Mexican citizen, which is just plain wrong.
04-27-2010 11:41 AM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

(04-27-2010 11:41 AM)I45owl Wrote:  This presumes that Mexican Travel Advisories are more effective than Mexican Border Patrol.

I will say that in my experience, Mexican immigrants are probably less likely to break municipal laws than the average American (excepting the obvious INS violations). Their kids (the US Citizens) may be another matter (in aggregate). As far as tourists and workers that come here lawfully (the audience of the travel alert), I consider many of those to be good friends and great people. Some of the comments above are very badly misplaced and blame the transgressions illegal immigrants on every Mexican citizen, which is just plain wrong.

Since it says "all Mexican visitors", I'm not sure why you think it speaks to lawful tourists and workers. How many millions of illegals are here? I would think that's a large part of the target audience of this warning.

For my part, any comments I make are directed at the law breakers. Nothing I say in any of these multiple threads now is directed or meant to include any American citizen or immigrant here legally from any country of any ethnic background. All of my comments are squarely aimed at the 12 to 20 million people who need to go home, apply, and wait their turn in line.

By the way, An Arizona Sheriff this morning said 17% of the illegals have criminal records. That may be higher or lower than the general population, but it doesn't jive with the many posts that insist that criminal activities among illegals is low.
(This post was last modified: 04-27-2010 12:42 PM by Paul M.)
04-27-2010 12:33 PM
Hambone10 Online
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-27-2010 11:41 AM)I45owl Wrote:  This presumes that Mexican Travel Advisories are more effective than Mexican Border Patrol.

+1

The hard part for the children of illegals is that their parents are here illegally and spend a fair amount of time finding ways to avoid being caught but still making money to live... which generally puts them into a relatively "bad" crowd to begin with.
04-27-2010 02:04 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(04-27-2010 12:33 PM)Paul M Wrote:  

Since it says "all Mexican visitors", I'm not sure why you think it speaks to lawful tourists and workers. How many millions of illegals are here? I would think that's a large part of the target audience of this warning.

For my part, any comments I make are directed at the law breakers. Nothing I say in any of these multiple threads now is directed or meant to include any American citizen or immigrant here legally from any country of any ethnic background. All of my comments are squarely aimed at the 12 to 20 million people who need to go home, apply, and wait their turn in line.

By the way, An Arizona Sheriff this morning said 17% of the illegals have criminal records. That may be higher or lower than the general population, but it doesn't jive with the many posts that insist that criminal activities among illegals is low.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the target of your comments, and note I didn't share your interpretation. (In fact, I think the primary target of their "alert" is Washington).

I'm surprised by that statistic (and assume it doesn't include INS violations). I don't ask who is here legally or not - some I do know came here legitimately for business, others I wonder about. Of course, I know plenty of Hispanics that have been here (Texas) for many decades - I can generally tell the difference between someone who is born in the US versus an immigrant.
04-27-2010 03:41 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
[Image: fairrington.jpg]
04-27-2010 04:46 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(04-27-2010 03:41 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(04-27-2010 12:33 PM)Paul M Wrote:  

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the target of your comments, and note I didn't share your interpretation. (In fact, I think the primary target of their "alert" is Washington).

I'm surprised by that statistic (and assume it doesn't include INS violations). I don't ask who is here legally or not - some I do know came here legitimately for business, others I wonder about. Of course, I know plenty of Hispanics that have been here (Texas) for many decades - I can generally tell the difference between someone who is born in the US versus an immigrant.

I agree Washington is the main target of the alert. And hopefully Washington will shrug. Alas, I know they will do far more. Apologizing, bowing, that sort of buffoonery.

I would have liked to know more about that stat myself, but being how tv news operates, 2 minute segments and move on to what Paris is wearing today, they didn't explore it.
04-27-2010 05:06 PM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
03-lmfao

I did refer to my experience, but am probably also guilty in a different context of parroting talking points about illegal immigrants not violating the law. I really don't know what the stats are.
04-27-2010 05:26 PM
Hambone10 Online
Hooter

Paris wore something today??
04-27-2010 05:36 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I really don't know. I have this uncanny ability to tune that caca out.
04-27-2010 05:47 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I think that few, even in law enforcement, have any idea about the backgrounds of most of those here illegally. The only way they could possibly know is based on crimes committed here in the U.S. Pretty tough to do background checks on fake names and Mexico doesn't have extensive DBs on their citizens as they have here.

When you live underground, often your name isn't really your name, if you get my drift.
04-27-2010 08:34 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
I wonder if the travel alerts make it seem more dangerous to be in AZ than travelling around in Mexico, which seems rather dangerous on its own.
04-27-2010 08:36 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Mexico's real travel alert is probably telling the illegals to go to California instead.
04-27-2010 09:11 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

(04-27-2010 09:11 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Mexico's real travel alert is probably telling the illegals to go to California instead.

California is calling for a boycott of Arizona. The real reason for that is Cali is afraid they will all end up there. You can bet they will be helping to over turn Arizona's law.
04-27-2010 09:39 PM
Hambone10 Online
Hooter

(04-27-2010 08:34 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  I think that few, even in law enforcement, have any idea about the backgrounds of most of those here illegally. The only way they could possibly know is based on crimes committed here in the U.S. Pretty tough to do background checks on fake names and Mexico doesn't have extensive DBs on their citizens as they have here.

When you live underground, often your name isn't really your name, if you get my drift.

Yes I do, Mile High
04-27-2010 10:08 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

New Orleans Bowl
A Mexican Travel Advisory...

Whoop de do.. nothing to fear unless you are here illegally.

A Mexican National is stopped by an Arizona Cop.

Mexican National produces Mexican ID

Cop then asks the Mexican National for his US Visa (if past the border limit) or his "Green Card".

Mexicans should know that you need a Visa if going past the border limit.

Not much a cop can do if he stops a Mecian National within 20 miles of the Border, as long as they entered through a US Port of Entry and have the paperwork showing such. They are here "legally"...
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2010 09:20 AM by WoodlandsOwl.)
04-27-2010 10:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.