Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

7 Mexican police officers killed in Ciudad Juarez
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (AP) — Gunmen ambushed two police vehicles at a busy intersection in this drug- and violence-plagued city, killing seven officers and a 17-year-old boy who was passing by, authorities said.

Six of the police officers killed in Friday's attack were federal, and one was a local police woman, said Enrique Torres Valadez, a spokesman for the state of Chihuahua, where Ciudad Juarez is located. Two local police officers were in critical condition.

Authorities said the police officers had stopped to talk to a street vendor who flagged them down for help when gunmen opened fire from behind their pickup patrol trucks. The assailants fled in three vehicles.

Investigators said they don't know why the officers were shot, although they don't believe they were targeted because of any recent arrests they had made.

No one has been arrested but police said they have recovered two of the three cars used in the shooting.

Hours after the attack, a painted message directed to top federal police commanders and claiming responsibility for the attack appeared on a wall in downtown Ciudad Juarez. It was apparently signed by La Linea gang, the enforcement arm of the Juarez drug cartel. The Juarez cartel has been locked in a bloody turf battle with the Sinaloa cartel, led by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman.

"This will happen to you ... for being with El Chapo Guzman and to all the dirtbags who support him. Sincerely, La Linea," the message read. The authenticity of the message could not be independently verified.

Ciudad Juarez, a city of 1.3 million across from El Paso, Texas, is one of the world's deadliest cities, and a two-year turf battle between drug cartels has left more than 5,000 people dead.

Elsewhere, police in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero said they found the bodies of five men who had been shot to death lying on a dirt road near the state capital, Chilpancingo. Three of the men were brothers, all in their 20s.

The state has been a major battleground for warring cartels, including the Beltran Leyva gang, but it was not clear whether the shootings were part of the ongoing drug violence.

In central Morelos state, federal police and the Mexican army raided two ranch homes and arrested 15 men near the town of Amacuzac. Those arrested were taken to Mexico City in a helicopter.

The men are suspected of working for alleged drug trafficker Jose Gerardo Alvarez Vazquez, who was arrested on Wednesday in Mexico City, said Ramon Pequeno, the head of the anti-narcotics division of Mexico's federal police.

Authorities say Alvarez Vazquez has been battling for control of the Beltran Leyva drug cartel with his partner, Edgar Valdez Villarreal, a U.S.-born enforcer known as "La Barbie."

Pequeno said the men arrested provided security and carried out killings for Alvarez Vazquez and Valdez Villarreal.

In the western state of Michoacan late Friday, the mayor of a town arrested last year for alleged ties to drug traffickers was released from prison.

Genaro Guisar Valencia, who was stripped by lawmakers of his post as mayor of Apatzingan because of his arrest, told reporters outside the prison in the state capital of Morelia that he would ask the state's legislature to reverse its decision.

Guisar Valencia was among 12 Mexican mayors arrested last year in an unprecedented roundup of elected officials accused of protecting drug traffickers in Michoacan.

He's the ninth mayor released for lack of evidence.

An estimated 22,700 people have been killed in Mexico's drug war since December 2006.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2010 09:48 AM by SumOfAllFears.)
04-24-2010 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: 7 Mexican police officers killed in Ciudad Juarez
We understand your point. Btw, it would be interesting to see where they got their weapons. I would be willing to bet that the weapons were smuggled into Mexico from the US. Not to mention if you would stop smoking weed and using coke, these problems would decrease.
04-24-2010 10:30 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
As long as there is a large black market drug trade...violence will occur. This is not rocket science. Decriminalize the crap and sell it like hard booze in a controlled paradigm. What is happening in Juarez is the same thing that happened in Chicago during prohibition. We never seem to learn from our mistakes. 01-wingedeagle

Throwing billions upon billions of dollars at law enforcement in an attempt to stop motivated black market cartels is a waste of stolen wages and is totally ineffective. Would a black market still exist after decriminalization...yes...but it would be a vastly reduced level. Go out and try to find bootlegged liquor...there is just not a profit motive for the business anymore.
04-24-2010 10:54 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(04-24-2010 10:54 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  As long as there is a large black market drug trade...violence will occur. This is not rocket science. Decriminalize the crap and sell it like hard booze in a controlled paradigm. What is happening in Juarez is the same thing that happened in Chicago during prohibition. We never seem to learn from our mistakes. 01-wingedeagle

Throwing billions upon billions of dollars at law enforcement in an attempt to stop motivated black market cartels is a waste of stolen wages and is totally ineffective. Would a black market still exist after decriminalization...yes...but it would be a vastly reduced level. Go out and try to find bootlegged liquor...there is just not a profit motive for the business anymore.
I can finally agree with you on something.
04-24-2010 10:59 AM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline

(04-24-2010 10:54 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  What is happening in Juarez is the same thing that happened in Chicago during prohibition.

Very good point.

But how is legalization here going to change things in Mexico. You really think making everything legal does not have a whole new set of extremely difficult problems.

Many of the weapons are coming from Texas, and that has to stop, but the Automatic weapons are coming from elsewhere.
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2010 12:19 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
04-24-2010 12:17 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Quote:An estimated 22,700 people have been killed in Mexico's drug war since December 2006.

Wow.
04-24-2010 12:23 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
To those who compare Juarez of today with Chicago during the Capone-era, I would ask: Did America's Prohibition-era gang-wars really result in 20,000+ fatalities?

In 1929, the "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" resulted in the deaths of seven people -- all of them gangsters -- and it was national news. That type of violence simply "didn't happen" all at once in America. And then when it did happen the public was shocked.

If it really is true that 22,000 or so people have been killed in Mexico's drug-wars just in the last 4-5 years alone, that is incredible, and infinitely worse than anything that the Mafia did in America in the 20s and 30s.
04-24-2010 12:29 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(04-24-2010 12:29 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  To those who compare Juarez of today with Chicago during the Capone-era, I would ask: Did America's Prohibition-era gang-wars really result in 20,000+ fatalities?

In 1929, the "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" resulted in the deaths of seven people -- all of them gangsters -- and it was national news. That type of violence simply "didn't happen" all at once in America. And then when it did happen the public was shocked.

If it really is true that 22,000 or so people have been killed in Mexico's drug-wars just in the last 4-5 years alone, that is incredible, and infinitely worse than anything that the Mafia did in America in the 20s and 30s.

Putting in perspective the population difference between Juarez today and Chicago of that era...I'd suggest that it is not a stretch to compare the two events in a similar light. The violence was not just limited to Chicago and it is also not limited to Juarez. The comparison is more related to being caused by prohibitions rather than anything else IMO.
04-24-2010 04:23 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(04-24-2010 12:17 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  
(04-24-2010 10:54 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  What is happening in Juarez is the same thing that happened in Chicago during prohibition.

Very good point.

But how is legalization here going to change things in Mexico. You really think making everything legal does not have a whole new set of extremely difficult problems.

Many of the weapons are coming from Texas, and that has to stop, but the Automatic weapons are coming from elsewhere.

I'd suggest that given a choice between buying substances in a controlled environment that could insure quality,purity and safety of the substance..as opposed to the current paradigm of black market sales, that a user would choose the controlled source for substances. This would lead to a drying up of demand for black market drugs and reduce the number of players dealing in them. I do not suggest that we make black market sales of drugs legal. On the contrary...I would put extremely stiff penalties for doing so. So stiff in fact that it would make doing so very risky for the potential profit gain.

I agree...Regardless of the direction that government takes in this drug war...there will be unintended consequences. I'd submit that stopping the flow of these substances and reducing that violence associated with the black market trade would be worth the risk at this point.

I'd rather see the billions wasted in this useless war spent on education,treatment of addicts and the setting up of a viable system of controlled sales. JMO....I understand both sides of the issue. It does look though..that cannabis could be the substance to start with as a trial to see if this approach could be viable. Just allowing the selling cannabis legally would be a major blow to the drug cartels in regard to supply and demand. I believe if given the choice almost all pot smokers would abandon the black market in favor of a quality product that they could purchase legally.
04-24-2010 04:40 PM
WoodlandsOwl Offline
Up in the Woods

I Root For: Rice Owls
New Orleans Bowl
Sooner or later some Zetas are going to get captured/shot pulling a hit "North of the Rio Grande" and then Obama will have to send a large contingent of National Guard to the Mexican Border.

Sending "more" Federal agents to "assist" civilians won't cut it.
04-24-2010 04:44 PM
Advertisement

SumOfAllFears Offline

(04-24-2010 12:29 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  To those who compare Juarez of today with Chicago during the Capone-era, I would ask: Did America's Prohibition-era gang-wars really result in 20,000+ fatalities?

The dead only know one thing. It is better to be alive.
04-24-2010 05:17 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(04-24-2010 04:23 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Putting in perspective the population difference between Juarez today and Chicago of that era...I'd suggest that it is not a stretch to compare the two events in a similar light. The violence was not just limited to Chicago and it is also not limited to Juarez. The comparison is more related to being caused by prohibitions rather than anything else IMO.

I suspect that the difference in brutality is more related to the extended length of drug prohibition (they didn't start off killing 5,000 people a year, either), higher profits in the drug trade, and a lower level of official/law enforcement corruption.
04-24-2010 05:41 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(04-24-2010 04:40 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(04-24-2010 12:17 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  

Very good point.

I'd suggest that given a choice between buying substances in a controlled environment that could insure quality,purity and safety of the substance..as opposed to the current paradigm of black market sales, that a user would choose the controlled source for substances. This would lead to a drying up of demand for black market drugs and reduce the number of players dealing in them. I do not suggest that we make black market sales of drugs legal. On the contrary...I would put extremely stiff penalties for doing so. So stiff in fact that it would make doing so very risky for the potential profit gain.

I agree...Regardless of the direction that government takes in this drug war...there will be unintended consequences. I'd submit that stopping the flow of these substances and reducing that violence associated with the black market trade would be worth the risk at this point.

I'd rather see the billions wasted in this useless war spent on education,treatment of addicts and the setting up of a viable system of controlled sales. JMO....I understand both sides of the issue. It does look though..that cannabis could be the substance to start with as a trial to see if this approach could be viable. Just allowing the selling cannabis legally would be a major blow to the drug cartels in regard to supply and demand. I believe if given the choice almost all pot smokers would abandon the black market in favor of a quality product that they could purchase legally.
Not to mention a HUGE economic boom for Kentucky!
04-24-2010 05:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.