"Family on £42,000 a year benefits because they are 'better off unemployed'"
04-15-2010 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
RE: Couldn't happen here
That article is a left winger's wet dream.

Smug, voluntarily unemployed, reproducing like rabbits, and living it up on the workers' dime.
04-15-2010 08:47 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(04-15-2010 08:47 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  That article is a left winger's wet dream.

Smug, voluntarily unemployed, reproducing like rabbits, and living it up on the workers' dime.
Your comment is completely stupid. I would guess that most on the left(as well as most on the right) would find this disgusting. Having said that, I am not against helping those that need help. I don't think they should make a career out of it but if they need short term help to get on their feet, I don't mind. Of course, this case isn't about helping them get on their feet but a career. As I said, that is wrong.
04-16-2010 12:48 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-16-2010 12:48 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
(04-15-2010 08:47 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  That article is a left winger's wet dream.
Your comment is completely stupid. I would guess that most on the left(as well as most on the right) would find this disgusting. Having said that, I am not against helping those that need help. I don't think they should make a career out of it but if they need short term help to get on their feet, I don't mind. Of course, this case isn't about helping them get on their feet but a career. As I said, that is wrong.

Do you really believe that most on the left would find this disgusting?
I don't, at least not the political leadership.
Two guaranteed votes forever, in the process of creating many more.
I seriously believe this is exactly what Obama, Reid, Pelosi, et al, would love to replicate as many times as possible.
Maybe I am too cynical, maybe not.
04-16-2010 05:58 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU

Your comment is completely stupid. I would guess that most on the left(as well as most on the right) would find this disgusting.

Much like "right-wingers are warmongers" and "Tea Partiers are a bunch of racists", I'm entitled to a broadbrush vent comment once in a while.
05-stirthepot

Quote:Having said that, I am not against helping those that need help. I don't think they should make a career out of it but if they need short term help to get on their feet, I don't mind. Of course, this case isn't about helping them get on their feet but a career. As I said, that is wrong.

Now stated like that, I don't have much argument. Even most fiscal conservatives (like myself) don't get too bothered over "short term help". Though I bet we're still far apart in terms of economic viewpoints.

But what often happens when the solid Left gets into power in any country is that the environment eventually becomes fertile for careers made of subsidies/handouts. It's that term "cycle of dependency" I'm sure you've heard about. The family in the article is an extreme example, almost Onion like, but it's a microcosm and not far from widespread reality.

As Owl alluded to, people addicted to the state is desirable to political leadership because it solidifies their power and locks in guaranteed votes. Hugo Chavez doesn't "care" about poor people as much as he cares about a guaranteed position of power for life.
04-16-2010 07:15 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

In fairness, I think the environmentalist faction of the left would be appalled at the large family. They're usually trying to cull the human race.
04-16-2010 07:40 AM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB

That's the problem with gov't assistance, and why these things are better left to the free market. People and charitable organizations can distinguish between who really needs help, and who is just looking for a free ride (they have to, as they have limited funding). Gov't programs can't, and have no incentive to, as they just pilfer more and more tax dollars.
04-16-2010 08:27 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(04-16-2010 05:58 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I seriously believe this is exactly what Obama, Reid, Pelosi, et al, would love to replicate as many times as possible.
Yes I do. You definately are too cynical.
04-16-2010 11:17 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-16-2010 11:17 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, and me to mine.
And I think yours could not possibly be more wrong.
I see absolutely no indication that Obama, Pelosi, Reid, et al, give one whit about the less successful among us, except making sure that they vote for democrats.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2010 11:40 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
04-16-2010 11:39 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(04-16-2010 11:39 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

I see absolutely no indication that Obama, Pelosi, Reid, et al, give one whit about the less successful among us, except making sure that they vote for democrats.
Well, as long as you live in Texass and watch Faux "news", you won't get any indication.
04-16-2010 11:43 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-16-2010 11:43 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
(04-16-2010 11:39 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Well, as long as you live in Texass and watch Faux "news", you won't get any indication.

One correct guess, one incorrect.
04-16-2010 11:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.