Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Government bans free doughnuts and coffee
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Government bans free doughnuts and coffee
Does this mean my car dealership is violating the law with his popcorn and soda machines? Will I be cited when I buy pizza and sodas for my guys even thought I don't have a stainless steel sink or prep kitchen?

Quote:For more than a dozen years, the B&B Do It Center in Camarillo, CA, has been offering free doughnuts and coffee to customers. Not anymore.

An anonymous "customer" (maybe a rival store?) called the health department. Now, in what some in this town consider a complete overreach of government, the county has told the store the freebies have to go. They violate food-handling regulations.

No more "pink box of love" as one customer describes the doughnuts. No more hot cup o' Joe.

According to the Ventura County Star, co-owner Randy Collins wasn't aware he was violating the rules. "We've been doing this since we bought the place 15 years ago, and the previous owner was doing it, too," he tells the newspaper.

The health department says that if Collins wants to give away doughnuts and coffee, he'll need to install "stainless steel sinks with hot and cold water and have a prep kitchen to handle the food." A prep kitchen. For a box of doughnuts? "Where the public has access to food, permitting is required," says Ventura County health official Elizabeth Huff

http://www.cnbc.com/id/35645680/
03-02-2010 12:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Government bans free doughnuts and coffee
Quote:For more than a dozen years, the B&B Do It Center in Camarillo, CA, has been offering free doughnuts and coffee to customers. Not anymore.

All I needed to know. Californians have long lost their collective minds.
03-02-2010 01:07 PM
Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
They've crossed the line now. 05-mafia
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2010 01:12 PM by DrTorch.)
03-02-2010 01:11 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
That's dumb as f***. You can't even be nice to people anymore, left or right. I'm pretty sure they both stepped up for free doughnuts at one point or another.
03-02-2010 05:50 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(03-02-2010 05:50 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  That's dumb as f***. You can't even be nice to people anymore, left or right. I'm pretty sure they both stepped up for free doughnuts at one point or another.

There are good samaritan laws ... there should be a corollary for free doughnuts. To inject a random thought ... has anyone else seen or heard of spudnuts in recent years? We used to get them in southern Colorado some years back but it's been a long long time since I've heard of them.
03-02-2010 06:12 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
(03-02-2010 06:12 PM)I45owl Wrote:  To inject a random thought ... has anyone else seen or heard of spudnuts in recent years? We used to get them in southern Colorado some years back but it's been a long long time since I've heard of them.

Since I love thread derails around here more than I love the original threads, I'm more than happy to weigh in. We've got a bunch of 'em in the LA area (one w/in 2 miles of me) but I've never been excited about the idea of potato donuts so I haven't partaken. And the Spudnuts shops I've seen don't exactly put out that "come hither" look that I desire in a good donut shop. Should I try?
03-02-2010 08:05 PM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-02-2010 06:12 PM)I45owl Wrote:  has anyone else seen or heard of spudnuts in recent years?

Spudnuts?

[Image: hootersballs-thumb.jpg]
03-02-2010 08:13 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(03-02-2010 08:05 PM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  We've got a bunch of 'em in the LA area ........

You live out here? I'm in Corona.
03-02-2010 08:17 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-02-2010 05:50 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  That's dumb as f***. You can't even be nice to people anymore, left or right. I'm pretty sure they both stepped up for free doughnuts at one point or another.

You're somewhat of a moderate liberal. Dude, this is where they want to take us. Total government control. If you think otherwise, why are all of the moderate Democrats being pushed out of office? Pick your battles, Nomad. I don't think you're that far off from me. I am, regardless of what idiots like Robert and Mach say, not a far right-winger. I'm a libertarian...with a little l. I try my damnedest to default to freedom every time.
03-02-2010 09:18 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
BTW, question, Brookes Owl, are you a dude or a chick?
03-02-2010 09:19 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
My spouse is our counties..."head public health bureaucrat"...here in SENC..I asked her reaction to this. She says that in NC that cant occur as long as the customers get the donuts out of a box prepared by another vendor. It is just like someone buying something from a vending machine. Is Cali going to start having people with vending machines also have food prep sinks?....that being said.......

I have been recently involved with CARB(California Air Regulatory Board) formaldehyde standards that deal with the wood industry. I can tell you that the regulations that "start" in Cali...become nationwide..very quickly.
CARB came up with standards that are totally unneeded and costly(added 3% to every sheet of plywood sold in the USA). The problem is that California is such a HUGE market for business that if you wish to be in competition...YOU MUST conform to the WACKO California standards. My company can NOT sell a sheet of plywood to ANYONE that is not CARB certified in the USA because it might end up in furniture sold in CA. ALL wood products sold in CA MUST be CARB certified...so...We had to conform to the CA standard even though we are all the way across the nation in NC....SO.....

Get ready....If Cali goes to this WACKO type of standards in public health we ALL can get ready for this type of crap to come to YOUR state. Cali sets ALL the standards for silly ass BS and everyone else ends up following suit.
03-02-2010 09:55 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

Fo, you should see what this screwed up state is trying to do with tractor and truck engines. If they actually pass the law they're intending to pass all current tractors and trucks will need new engines. I'll try to find a link.
03-02-2010 10:16 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

(03-02-2010 09:19 PM)Rebel Wrote:  BTW, question, Brookes Owl, are you a dude or a chick?

Do we have any babes in this forum?
03-02-2010 10:16 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-02-2010 10:16 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  
(03-02-2010 09:19 PM)Rebel Wrote:  BTW, question, Brookes Owl, are you a dude or a chick?

Do we have any babes in this forum?

Don't know about babes, but Mach is a little girl.
03-02-2010 10:32 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(03-02-2010 10:16 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Fo, you should see what this screwed up state is trying to do with tractor and truck engines. If they actually pass the law they're intending to pass all current tractors and trucks will need new engines. I'll try to find a link.

As I explained above....Cali is such a huge market that the environmental wackos know that whatever crazy stuff they come up with...it will quickly be adopted as a national standard. My objection to this stuff is that it goes against the natural marketplace changes that occurs through competition and response to market signals. Cali has FORCED change because of its large market...not because change has actually been proven to be needed. It has INCREASED prices and added to inflation due to the market having to respond to Cali's dictates. I have to give the environmentalists credit in understanding just how important Cali is to American business and exploiting that fact to their benefit regardless of the need or consequence.03-banghead
03-02-2010 10:37 PM
nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2010 09:18 PM)Rebel Wrote:  

You're somewhat of a moderate liberal. Dude, this is where they want to take us. Total government control. If you think otherwise, why are all of the moderate Democrats being pushed out of office? Pick your battles, Nomad. I don't think you're that far off from me. I am, regardless of what idiots like Robert and Mach say, not a far right-winger. I'm a libertarian...with a little l. I try my damnedest to default to freedom every time.

When I first started posting about a year ago, when I didn't keep up with politics, I would've said that I was a moderate liberal. Over time I've researched and studied more American history and now consider myself to be a constitutional person more than anything. I guess that would be in line with libertarian.

I would've never picked you out as a far-right person by the tone of your posts. I just don't know exactly how you oppose them.
03-02-2010 10:43 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2010 10:16 PM)smn1256 Wrote:  Fo, you should see what this screwed up state is trying to do with tractor and truck engines. If they actually pass the law they're intending to pass all current tractors and trucks will need new engines. I'll try to find a link.

That's a fantastic way to help a struggling agricultural industry. It will all pay off in the end.

/sarcasm

Why don't we get a private group to analyze the how efficient this would be. Free market answers.
03-02-2010 10:49 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(03-02-2010 10:43 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I would've never picked you out as a far-right person by the tone of your posts. I just don't know exactly how you oppose them.

Wanna talk about something I generally avoid, I.e. social issues?
03-02-2010 11:04 PM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(03-02-2010 09:55 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  My spouse is our counties..."head public health bureaucrat"...here in SENC..I asked her reaction to this. She says that in NC that cant occur as long as the customers get the donuts out of a box prepared by another vendor. It is just like someone buying something from a vending machine. Is Cali going to start having people with vending machines also have food prep sinks?....that being said.......

I'd be you a glazed donut prepared by a certified baker that California outlaws potlucks at work before long...... for "safety issues" in regards to food prepared by "non-vendors," (also known as Mom, Dad and Grandma)

03-lmfao
03-02-2010 11:36 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(03-02-2010 11:36 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(03-02-2010 09:55 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  My spouse is our counties..."head public health bureaucrat"...here in SENC..I asked her reaction to this. She says that in NC that cant occur as long as the customers get the donuts out of a box prepared by another vendor. It is just like someone buying something from a vending machine. Is Cali going to start having people with vending machines also have food prep sinks?....that being said.......

I'd be you a glazed donut prepared by a certified baker that California outlaws potlucks at work before long...... for "safety issues" in regards to food prepared by "non-vendors," (also known as Mom, Dad and Grandma)

03-lmfao

I would need odds before taking that bet....maybe 2 jelly filled against one glazed.04-cheers
03-03-2010 06:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.