Bookmark and Share
ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
From San Jose State to stAte . . . new OC
Hugh Freeze hired as offensive coordinator at Arkansas State
By Scott Cacciola
Posted February 26, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.

Former Briarcrest Christian coach Hugh Freeze, hired as the offensive coordinator at San Jose State in December, is making an abrupt return to the Mid-South to become the offensive coordinator at Arkansas State.

Freeze, a former Ole Miss assistant who had spent the last two seasons as head coach at Lambuth University in Jackson, Tenn., cited family reasons and said he left San Jose State on good terms.

“This is a hard business and it really helps if your family is comfortable,” said Freeze, adding that his parents have had some recent health issues. “When I was out there, I had two really close friends lose their moms. And it’s just the right thing for me and my family to come back.”

Earlier this winter, Freeze was a finalist for the Arkansas State position that went to former University of Memphis assistant Clay Helton. But Helton left this week to join Lane Kiffin’s staff at Southern California.

Freeze, the head coach at Briarcrest from 1994-2005, built Lambuth into one of the country’s most unlikely NAIA powers. Under Freeze, the Eagles were 20-5 and twice advanced to the NAIA playoffs, including a quarterfinal appearance last fall.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...artner=RSS
02-26-2010 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
RE: From San Jose State to stAte . . . new OC
(02-26-2010 05:41 PM)ManzanoWolf Wrote:  Hugh Freeze hired as offensive coordinator at Arkansas State
By Scott Cacciola
Posted February 26, 2010 at 2:50 p.m.

Former Briarcrest Christian coach Hugh Freeze, hired as the offensive coordinator at San Jose State in December, is making an abrupt return to the Mid-South to become the offensive coordinator at Arkansas State.

Freeze, a former Ole Miss assistant who had spent the last two seasons as head coach at Lambuth University in Jackson, Tenn., cited family reasons and said he left San Jose State on good terms.

“This is a hard business and it really helps if your family is comfortable,” said Freeze, adding that his parents have had some recent health issues. “When I was out there, I had two really close friends lose their moms. And it’s just the right thing for me and my family to come back.”

Earlier this winter, Freeze was a finalist for the Arkansas State position that went to former University of Memphis assistant Clay Helton. But Helton left this week to join Lane Kiffin’s staff at Southern California.

Freeze, the head coach at Briarcrest from 1994-2005, built Lambuth into one of the country’s most unlikely NAIA powers. Under Freeze, the Eagles were 20-5 and twice advanced to the NAIA playoffs, including a quarterfinal appearance last fall.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/201...artner=RSS
Wasn't he Michael Oher's coach in high school? If that's him, he was a great prep coach, playing for something like 12 state championships and winning six of them. The Blind Side made it seem like he only won when Oher was there but the real case is that they were always an elite program under Freeze.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2010 09:08 PM by AtlantaJag.)
02-26-2010 09:07 PM
Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
San Jose State isn't really known for football prowess...i'm a bit surprised stAte hired one of their coaches. weren't they in the bottom 10 last season?
02-27-2010 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Freeze was hired by SJSU in December 2009 (stayed maybe 60 days) after being a finalist for the stAte OC position and being passed over for Helton. Helton was hired as stAte's OC out of Memphis and then Helton was almost immediately hired away by Kiffin at Southern Cal before Helton could unpack his boxes at stAte. Now that Helton is gone, Freeze is heading back to stAte, before he could unpack his boxes at SJSU.

Lots of movement between stAte, Memphis, Southern Cal, and San Jose State in a matter of months . . . like a fast spinning carousel . . . 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2010 11:09 AM by ManzanoWolf.)
02-27-2010 11:08 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(02-27-2010 10:52 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  San Jose State isn't really known for football prowess...i'm a bit surprised stAte hired one of their coaches. weren't they in the bottom 10 last season?

Don't tell me you seriously don't know who Freeze is. 03-banghead
02-27-2010 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Burn the Horse Offline
I'm Watching You

I Root For: TROY
sorry boys, wasn't aware of all the details.
02-27-2010 12:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(02-27-2010 12:34 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  sorry boys, wasn't aware of all the details.

Go watch the movie blind side. He was the head coach of Briarcrest high school. Went to 12 straight state championships winning six of them. Went to Ole Miss as recruiting cordinator (recruiting top class in Ole Miss history). Was moved to WR coach where he coached top 2 receivers in the SEC. He then went to be head coach at NAIA Lambuth where he lead them to a 20-5 record over a 2 year period. He interviewed for the OC at ASU where Helton was picked over him causing him to go to SJSU. Helton left for USC causing ASU to call Freeze back and offer the job. Freeze wanting to be closer to home packed his bags and here we are.
02-27-2010 01:36 PM
Advertisement

ManzanoWolf Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

HELP . . . I am dizzy . . . who is on first ??? 03-lmfao
02-27-2010 02:03 PM
SpaceRaider Offline
All American

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(02-27-2010 12:12 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  Don't tell me you seriously don't know who Freeze is. 03-banghead

The villain in the 1997 'Batman & Robin' movie?
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2010 03:43 PM by SpaceRaider.)
02-27-2010 03:42 PM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

(02-27-2010 03:42 PM)SpaceRaider Wrote:  
(02-27-2010 12:12 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  Don't tell me you seriously don't know who Freeze is. 03-banghead

The villain in the 1997 'Batman & Robin' movie?

Yes
02-27-2010 04:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.