Obama Giving Black Farmers $1.25B in Reparations
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

Sunday, February 21, 2010 09:55 PM
By: Theodore Kettle

Black farmers – possibly over 70,000 of them – will get cash payments and debt relief from the federal government totaling $1.25 billion, in reparation for alleged racial discrimination suffered under the Department of Agriculture’s loan programs, the Obama Administration has agreed.

The president announced the deal on Thursday, applauding Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack and Attorney General Eric Holder for “bringing these long-ignored claims of African American farmers to a rightful conclusion.”

The Washington Post called the settlement “part of a wider effort by Obama and senior officials to dispense with lawsuits stemming from America’s checkered civil rights legacy.”

House Majority Whip and Congressional Black Caucus member James Clyburn cheered the deal. “History has taught us to never give up when fighting for what is right,” he said in a statement. “What happened to these black farmers was wrong, and we now have the opportunity to make it right.”

Clyburn said, “I thank President Obama for his leadership on this issue” adding that “I especially want to congratulate my colleagues in the Congressional Black Caucus for keeping the focus on the plight of black farmers.”

Congress, as well as a federal judge, will have to approve the deal. The Justice Department told the Post that claims up to $50,000 will be able to be made to the government through a streamlined process, while larger claims will require more detail in the evidence a victim provides of government discrimination. The charges made by thousands of black farmers, with culpability finally accepted by Washington, accuse the USDA of decades of racist practices.

That $1.25 billion is only a fraction, however, of the sum that the reparations movement has called for to compensate for all the injustices committed against blacks in American history.

The National Legal and Policy Center some years ago examined slave reparations activism and found one proponent calling for the federal government “to pay $500,000 to every slave descendant,” which would total “more than $15 trillion and require a surtax of roughly $50,000 on each non-African American man, woman and child in this country (the median family income is not even that high).”

Another estimate from a 1990s Harper’s magazine article calculated that reparations would cost $97 trillion – based on 222,505,049 hours of forced labor between 1619 and 1865, plus 6% compounded interest.

Pointing to “the staggering breadth of America’s crime against us,” TransAfrica founder Randall Robinson in his book, “The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks,” argued that “Solutions must be tailored to the scope of the crime in a way that would make the victim whole. In this case, the psychic and economic injury is enormous, multidimensional and long-running. Thus must be America’s restitution to blacks for the damage done.”

According to the reparations mindset, therefore, President Obama’s $1.25 billion for 70,000-plus black farmers is hardly even a beginning.

Newsmax. All rights reserved.
02-22-2010 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: Obama Giving Black Farmers $1.25B in Reparations
Nah. Republicans aren't racist. 03-lmfao
02-22-2010 01:12 PM
Essency Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
Obama showing some restraint and not going for the full $15 trillion. Maybe next year.
02-22-2010 01:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-22-2010 01:12 PM)RobertN Wrote:  Nah. Republicans aren't racist. 03-lmfao

How is it racist to oppose paying 1.25 BILLION to a group of people that had not a damn thing to do with slavery? It's high time blacks stop bitching about something that never happened to them.
02-22-2010 01:28 PM
Quote this message in a reply
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
What does this have to do with slavery?
02-22-2010 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-22-2010 01:45 PM)At Ease Wrote:  What does this have to do with slavery?

I was responding to the bolded text, but it always ties into the one, main issue, doesn't it? Are you telling me every black farmer was wronged by the fed? All of'em?
02-22-2010 01:53 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(02-22-2010 01:28 PM)Rebel Wrote:  It's high time blacks stop bitching about something that never happened to them.

Kinda like the holocaust never happened. 05-stirthepot
02-22-2010 02:33 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
It's redistribution of wealth.
02-22-2010 02:35 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-22-2010 02:33 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  
(02-22-2010 01:28 PM)Rebel Wrote:  It's high time blacks stop bitching about something that never happened to them.

Kinda like the holocaust never happened. 05-stirthepot

Are we apologizing to Jews born in 1973 for the Holocaust? No one is saying it never happened. They're saying it didn't happen to you.
02-22-2010 02:58 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies

how can someone whose best friend is black, be racist? I don't really understand that. I love people who make it sound like the south has a ton of racism and the north doesn't. After what i've seen, it's kinda the opposite. Hell, ask Bill Russell if there's any racists amongst the liberal elite in the New England area.
02-22-2010 08:39 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(02-22-2010 08:39 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

how can someone whose best friend is black, be racist? I don't really understand that. I love people who make it sound like the south has a ton of racism and the north doesn't. After what i've seen, it's kinda the opposite. Hell, ask Bill Russell if there's any racists amongst the liberal elite in the New England area.

The old saying went, "Southerners don't care that blacks live next to them, as long as it wasn't a home as nice; Northerners didn't want them living next to them period." That was an old saying that no longer applies, but you get the point. The majority of blacks live in the south. We HAVE to live among each other. Northerners would rather not.
02-22-2010 08:43 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(02-22-2010 08:43 PM)Rebel Wrote:  The majority of blacks live in the south. We HAVE to live among each other. Northerners would rather not.

Then why are there all these carpetbaggers down here?
02-23-2010 01:48 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-22-2010 01:45 PM)At Ease Wrote:  What does this have to do with slavery?
Nothing. That is why I posted what I did. The author put in slavery reparations for no real reason other than to get the righties all riled up.
02-23-2010 02:23 AM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Don't get me started on the reparations FARCE.
02-23-2010 06:30 AM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Pointing to “the staggering breadth of America’s crime against us,” TransAfrica founder Randall Robinson in his book, “The Debt: What America Owes to Blacks,” argued that “Solutions must be tailored to the scope of the crime in a way that would make the victim whole. In this case, the psychic and economic injury is enormous, multidimensional and long-running. Thus must be America’s restitution to blacks for the damage done.”

Who is "us" and all of the victims that need to made whole are dead. If certain blacks keep thinking this way they'll continue to languish in low income lifestyles waiting for their free cash to roll in instead of striving for a better life through hard work and dedication. Can white people get reparations from black people who commit crimes against them?
02-23-2010 04:39 PM
Rebel
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
There weren't too many people that had an easy time back in the country's youth. That is not an excuse for slavery, but all white people weren't sitting on their fat asses drinking mint julips while the blacks toiled in the fields. First off, not all blacks were slaves (including in the South) and secondly only a very few amount of people owned slaves, and most of those only owned between 1-5. A slave cost approximately 25K in today's dollars. How many people have 25-125K right now to throw away?

Correction, now it's up to 40K:

http://humantrafficking.change.org/blog/...an_in_1850
02-23-2010 04:45 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Another factor to consider is slaves were often sold by black people and some blacks had their own slaves.
02-23-2010 04:51 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
can we sounter-sue their black captors who sold them??
02-23-2010 04:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.