Obama Tops Bush at Ducking Reporters
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America

Monday, February 22, 2010 08:56 AM
By: Joseph Curl

President Obama, who pledged to establish the most open and transparent administration in history, on Monday surpasses his predecessor's record for avoiding a full-fledged question-and-answer session with White House reporters in a formal press conference.

President George W. Bush's longest stretch between prime-time, nationally televised press conferences was 214 days, from April 4 to Nov. 4, 2004. Mr. Obama tops that record on Monday, going 215 days - stretching back to July 22, according to records kept by CBS Radio's veteran reporter Mark Knoller.

The president has seemingly shunned formal, prime-time sessions since his last disastrous presser, when he said police in Cambridge, Mass., "acted stupidly" by arresting a Harvard professor who broke into a home that turned out to be his own. The off-the-cuff comment took over the news cycle for a week, overshadowing his push for health care reform, and culminated in a White House "Beer Summit," where the president hosted white police officer James Crowley and the black Harvard professor, Henry Louis Gates Jr.

"He does seem a little snakebit on the whole presser thing," said Julie Mason, a longtime White House reporter and board member of the White House Correspondents' Association.

"At his last big press conference in July, he lost control of the message with his response to the Gates question, and then returns six months later with an unannounced, five-question avail in the briefing room - on a snow day. Was it something we said?"

Earlier this month, the president did field a few questions from reporters in a "mini-presser." He dropped by the White House briefing room unannounced at midday just after Washington's second snowstorm, right when the daily briefing by the press secretary was to occur. The "press availability" lasted only 33 minutes and encompassed questions from just five reporters - plus one after Mr. Obama tried to head for the door.

In contrast, a typical White House press conference is usually announced well in advance and takes place in the far more formal White House East Room. The prime-time sessions - carried live by all TV networks - last at least an hour and include questions from 12 to 15 reporters, sometimes more.

"I don't count that five-question, surprise 'avail,' as a presser," Miss Mason said.

Still, Mr. Obama has held plenty of tightly controlled sessions with reporters. He has given 66 interviews since July 22 - including two that day, according to Mr. Knoller's records. But that doesn't satisfy White House veterans.

"The administration will point you to all the interviews he does, but that is all about control. We are naturally at cross-purposes with him, because he wants to come out with his talking points and the press wants to knock him off those talking points - so the result is he just doesn't come around anymore," Miss Mason said.

Nevertheless, Mr. Obama tops his predecessor in total output. He has given 43 press conferences of various degrees, six of which were solo White House sessions, Mr. Knoller said. During the same period, Mr. Bush gave 24 press conferences, of which four were formal, solo White House sessions.

Copyright 2010 The Washington Times, LLC
02-22-2010 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
RE: Obama Tops Bush at Ducking Reporters
SOAF,

I'm not trying to be difficult, but these copy and paste threads are the lowest form of communiction on the spin room. Take a look at your last twenty thread starters. See how many of them generate conversation. Tell me how you feel about the article. Why is it important for me to read it? Paraphrase it for me and tell me why you feel it's important. Do you really think these copy and pastes improve the dialogue of the spin room?
02-22-2010 12:52 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

Your self-absorbed, overinflated liberal mindset appointed yourself as the purveyor of the Spin Room scale of communication. I sympathize that the only adult interaction in your life is the spin room, but to feel like you must rate the Spin room communication is so childish. I see you look down upon me but to think yourself worthy to grade my postings is unquestionably arrogant. I suppose you elected yourself to that position to make the judgment for everyone. I now know why your worthiness was rejected when spin room moderator was mentioned.
You use the word me 4 times in three lines. Who does that remind you of –HINT(he’s very self-centered)? I know you hear the phrase “I'm not trying to be difficult, but” daily in your pathetic life, but I do not post in the spin room for your benefit to hear your whining.
02-22-2010 05:04 PM
Machiavelli Offline

Soaf,

I apologize if I offended you. Take a look back at your last twenty. I don't care what Joseph Curl thinks. I want to know what you think. I'll read whatever, but my hope was to have your opinion on the copy and pastes you do.
02-22-2010 05:20 PM
Advertisement

nomad2u2001 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(02-22-2010 05:04 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  Your self-absorbed, overinflated liberal mindset appointed yourself as the purveyor of the Spin Room scale of communication. I sympathize that the only adult interaction in your life is the spin room, but to feel like you must rate the Spin room communication is so childish. I see you look down upon me but to think yourself worthy to grade my postings is unquestionably arrogant. I suppose you elected yourself to that position to make the judgment for everyone. I now know why your worthiness was rejected when spin room moderator was mentioned.
You use the word me 4 times in three lines. Who does that remind you of –HINT(he’s very self-centered)? I know you hear the phrase “I'm not trying to be difficult, but” daily in your pathetic life, but I do not post in the spin room for your benefit to hear your whining.

I like how you got self-absorbed, overinflated liberal that doesn't have any adult contact out of that. In a way he is correct, you just post the article with nothing to say on the subject until someone else says something you don't agree with. But, I have done it the same way.
02-22-2010 05:38 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I see you look down upon me

Farthest from the truth. I just want to get your opinion. hey, Joe makes a good point here...... this is why......
02-22-2010 05:58 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline

My opinion and views are well known. I don't have to restate them ad nausm to convince myself as others here are doing. I think you self appointed yourself to scale the communication method is self absorbed ect.., Clear.
02-22-2010 06:55 PM
Advertisement

Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
All of your posts in this thread Mach sound as though your giving instruction to a child. It shouldn't be surprising that your condescension wouldn't be received well.
02-22-2010 08:23 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Anyway, back on topic, doesns't it seem odd that Obama goes on TV virtually every day but doesn't want to answer questions? He only wants to be heard but it seems he doesn't want to listen. I think if Obama truly believes his ideas are the best then he should be able to intelligently defend them to any and all doubters.
02-22-2010 09:42 PM
Machiavelli Offline

I hope that town hall meeting or whatever on health care still happens. I've heard the Republicans might back out.
02-22-2010 09:56 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-22-2010 05:20 PM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Soaf,

I apologize if I offended you. Take a look back at your last twenty. I don't care what Joseph Curl thinks. I want to know what you think. I'll read whatever, but my hope was to have your opinion on the copy and pastes you do.

Why is it a problem to start a thread with some facts? Especially facts that many people might not come across on their own.

Sure beats the approach of just talking about feelings and unfounded opinions.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2010 09:59 PM by DrTorch.)
02-22-2010 09:58 PM
Machiavelli Offline

but tell me why I should read it. Tell me your feelings about the subject. I can't have a conversation with a newspaper. I want to have dialogue with you. Agree or disagree. Why am I bothering trying to explain this to you. Your socially retarded! 03-rotfl

04-cheers
02-22-2010 10:11 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I guess it's better to start off a topic with the topic starters feeling that if some obscure state legislator says that some people have a concern, that is proof that "there's a bat **** crazy wing of the GOP, and unfortunately it's a rather large segment............ and he's out to foil the anti-Christ".
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2010 10:30 PM by Paul M.)
02-22-2010 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Yeah, that is better Paul because I give you the reason why I want you to read it. It generates conversation. You're getting the point. Good Job Paul!03-2thumbsup
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2010 10:58 PM by Machiavelli.)
02-22-2010 10:55 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

But in my above example, the only person "bat **** crazy" was the topic starter.

And I seem to recall that "bat **** crazy" poster said he quit drinking.
02-22-2010 11:23 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
I dont see the problem here. someone posts an article, another makes a comment on it and the conversation begins. If you don't want to know a columnists' opinion, don't read it.
02-22-2010 11:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.