Here's where your secular, progressive society leads
02-22-2010 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Here's where your secular, progressive society leads
This wouldn't happen in polite armed society.

(Oh, who am I kidding? They'll just get warrant and knock on your door with the SWAT team.)
02-22-2010 11:16 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I don't know about the progressive part, but if you don't have a secular society you end up with Iran. Or Saudi Arabia.
02-22-2010 12:23 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
This is a horrible story. I would have gone nuts if this happened to me and somebody, probably a lot of somebody's, would need medical attention after I got done with them.
02-23-2010 04:47 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-22-2010 12:23 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't know about the progressive part, but if you don't have a secular society you end up with Iran. Or Saudi Arabia.

I think you need to review history.
02-23-2010 11:04 PM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

I Root For: Memphis

Donators
The United Kingdom has a state church and a divinely-protected ruler, while Ireland outlawed abortion up until recently. (I think they still might.)

Seems to me to be more of a situation where a bunch of do-gooders get a little too much power and feel the need to use it, when a little reason probably would be more effective.
02-23-2010 11:10 PM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(02-23-2010 11:04 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(02-22-2010 12:23 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I don't know about the progressive part, but if you don't have a secular society you end up with Iran. Or Saudi Arabia.

Just a wild guess here: Something between your Christian utopia and a totally secular society is probably best. I am not exactly sure how many countries could fall into this gap between the 2 so it would probably be difficult to determine how successful it is. The US is probably the closest(probably a good sign that both sides disagree on this which likely means that we ARE in that center point). When one side starts getting too much power, the other side protests and starts going back the other way-keeping us in the middle.
02-24-2010 04:29 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-24-2010 04:29 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

Just a wild guess here: Something between your Christian utopia and a totally secular society is probably best. I am not exactly sure how many countries could fall into this gap between the 2 so it would probably be difficult to determine how successful it is. The US is probably the closest(probably a good sign that both sides disagree on this which likely means that we ARE in that center point). When one side starts getting too much power, the other side protests and starts going back the other way-keeping us in the middle.

Robert, you now have two intelligent posts to your credit.
02-24-2010 08:30 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

Which part? The Inquisition? Burning at the stake those whose scientific pursuits led them to heresy? Intolerance to those with a different religion? Is that better than Iran?

The advancement of civilization was held up by crap like that.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2010 10:45 AM by NIU007.)
02-24-2010 10:42 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-24-2010 10:42 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
Which part? The Inquisition? Burning at the stake those whose scientific pursuits led them to heresy? Intolerance to those with a different religion? Is that better than Iran?
The advancement of civilization was held up by crap like that.

Of course, bear in mind that in the current climate debate, the global warming proponents are the burners and the skeptics are the burnees in that model.
Not a commentary on who is right nor wrong, just an observation that science has its own (fairly vindictive) form of retributions against those who don't conform.
I'd be much more convinced if the playing field were leveled and everybody on both sides could get time and space in conventional forums.
For the record, I'm pretty much convinced that the earth is warming, less certain of the link to human activity, but certain in any event that pollution is bad.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2010 12:06 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-24-2010 12:05 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
(02-24-2010 08:30 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(02-24-2010 04:29 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

Robert, you now have two intelligent posts to your credit.

So Owl, He is saying what is best is something between everything. How is that intelligent? or are you grading on a curve now?
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2010 02:02 PM by SumOfAllFears.)
02-24-2010 01:52 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
People have a poor understanding of the crusades, inquisition and early church/state. Kings were proclaimed "divine" by themselves. They didn't want people worshiping God, but couldn't stop them... so they appointed themselves god on earth. To be against the king was to be against God. This wasn't a REAL form of worship/religion... but one borne out of a desire not to be killed for disagreeing with the king.

Our founders understood this and made it so that our leaders could not claim a divine right to lead... though many obviously don't get that.

Freedom OF religion... not freedom FROM it. To some, Science is a religion as well. Someone makes a logical assumption and it is treated as fact by many until someone proves it wrong. It's really no different.
02-24-2010 01:58 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-24-2010 01:58 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  People have a poor understanding of the crusades, inquisition and early church/state. Kings were proclaimed "divine" by themselves. They didn't want people worshiping God, but couldn't stop them... so they appointed themselves god on earth. To be against the king was to be against God. This wasn't a REAL form of worship/religion... but one borne out of a desire not to be killed for disagreeing with the king.

Our founders understood this and made it so that our leaders could not claim a divine right to lead... though many obviously don't get that.

Freedom OF religion... not freedom FROM it. To some, Science is a religion as well. Someone makes a logical assumption and it is treated as fact by many until someone proves it wrong. It's really no different.

No, it's treated as a theory. And not a well-founded one until someone either duplicates the experiment confirming the results, or finds other evidence in line with it. It's pretty much never a "fact". Even Einstein's general relatively may need to be revised. Yes, some in the media or in the general populace overhype the evidence for things. But now you're talking about the general population and not science or scientists.

Science is based on evidence, religion is not. How is that the same?
02-24-2010 05:02 PM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
(02-24-2010 05:02 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-24-2010 01:58 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  People have a poor understanding of the crusades, inquisition and early church/state. Kings were proclaimed "divine" by themselves. They didn't want people worshiping God, but couldn't stop them... so they appointed themselves god on earth. To be against the king was to be against God. This wasn't a REAL form of worship/religion... but one borne out of a desire not to be killed for disagreeing with the king.

No, it's treated as a theory. And not a well-founded one until someone either duplicates the experiment confirming the results, or finds other evidence in line with it. It's pretty much never a "fact". Even Einstein's general relatively may need to be revised. Yes, some in the media or in the general populace overhype the evidence for things. But now you're talking about the general population and not science or scientists.

"The debate is over", "there is a consensus", "the science is settled". I don't believe they are making a theory claim.
02-24-2010 07:37 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(02-24-2010 07:37 PM)Paul M Wrote:  

"The debate is over", "there is a consensus", "the science is settled". I don't believe they are making a theory claim.

Exactly. I said TREATED like fact, not that it WAS fact.

We aren't asked to spend trillions because of a "theory" than
a) the globe is warming (the most plausible theory)
b) man is a significant contributor (significance being the key... CLEARLY we contribute)
c) that we can (or even should) do anything about it
02-24-2010 08:40 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(02-22-2010 10:07 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...z0gGMgMJDL

This is a pretty damning critique of both a social welfare state and those who will do anything to make a $ (or €) to satisfy the huge demand for adoption. I guess Airstrip One wants a piece of the action as well.
02-24-2010 09:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
(02-24-2010 01:58 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Freedom OF religion... not freedom FROM it. To some, Science is a religion as well. Someone makes a logical assumption and it is treated as fact by many until someone proves it wrong. It's really no different.

Which religions permit the possibility that they may be "proven wrong"? That in itself is a significant distinction between science and religion.
02-25-2010 06:24 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-24-2010 08:40 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(02-24-2010 07:37 PM)Paul M Wrote:  

Exactly. I said TREATED like fact, not that it WAS fact.

We aren't asked to spend trillions because of a "theory" than
a) the globe is warming (the most plausible theory)
b) man is a significant contributor (significance being the key... CLEARLY we contribute)
c) that we can (or even should) do anything about it

So does the general body of evidence that was used to support AGW no longer exist because of the "climategate" scandal? Or just certain facets of it? Do climatologists now think that the evidence no longer holds up?

Some theories are well-supported and close to being a fact. Some are in the early stages.
02-25-2010 10:33 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(02-25-2010 06:24 AM)I45owl Wrote:  
(02-24-2010 01:58 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Freedom OF religion... not freedom FROM it. To some, Science is a religion as well. Someone makes a logical assumption and it is treated as fact by many until someone proves it wrong. It's really no different.

Which religions permit the possibility that they may be "proven wrong"? That in itself is a significant distinction between science and religion.

Which is another reason why you need a secular society. Religions won't (perhaps can't) compromise on their beliefs.
02-25-2010 10:35 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest

Say what? 03-banghead

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/apologetics

Seriously, this is one of the dangers of people who think they're "educated." You really know nothing about this subject. If you're interested, and want to learn, that's great. Otherwise, you do all people a disservice with your uninformed comments.
02-25-2010 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.