Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Another Too Big To Fail Bailout for Commercial Real Estate Loans
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Another Too Big To Fail Bailout for Commercial Real Estate Loans
Bailout Panel Cites Commercial Real Estate Danger

Bailout watchdog: Billions in commercial real estate losses could threaten banks and economy

By DANIEL WAGNER AP Business Writer
WASHINGTON February 11, 2010 (AP)

Over the next several years, failed commercial real estate loans could litter American cities with empty stores and office complexes, cause hundreds of bank failures and weaken the economy, a watchdog report says.

Banks face up to $300 billion in losses on loans made for commercial property and development, according to a report released Thursday by the Congressional Oversight Panel. The panel monitors the government's efforts to stabilize the financial system.

The report says the defaults could lead to reduced lending and cause the eviction of families from rental properties. Bank failures also could contribute to job losses and hurt the economic recovery.

Smaller banks are more vulnerable to the losses than their larger Wall Street counterparts. That's because commercial real estate makes up a larger portion of their portfolio.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., which manages bank failures and insures deposits, is under stress that will intensify over the next few years, panel chairwoman Elizabeth Warren said in a call with reporters.

Small- and mid-size banks have been failing at the fastest rate since the savings and loan crisis of the 1980s and 1990s. The failures are due mostly to bad loans they made for commercial projects.

Banks often lent too much for land and buildings whose prices were inflated by a real estate bubble. They also relied on rosy assumptions about the profitability of retail and office projects and did not consider the possibility of a severe recession.

Commercial property values have fallen more than 40 percent in the past three years, the report notes.

Some have been unable to pay the loans. Others have stopped paying because they now owe more than the properties are worth. Losses are mounting for banks, more of which will close. That could spell trouble for the economic recovery, said Warren, a Harvard law professor.

"If hundreds more community banks go under, the effect would be to ... dump sand in the gears of the economic recovery," she said.
02-11-2010 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
RE: Another Too Big To Fail Bailout for Commercial Real Estate Loans
(02-11-2010 03:48 PM)SumOfAllFears Wrote:  "If hundreds more community banks go under, the effect would be to ... dump sand in the gears of the economic recovery," she said.

I fixed that for ol' Warren, the Harvard law professor

(02-11-2010 03:48 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  "If hundreds more homeowners go under, the effect would be to ... dump sand in the gears of the economic recovery," she said.
02-11-2010 03:57 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
Just to add to the irony of all of this

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2010/0...PMENTSFEED

The only problem I see w/ the original article is that it seems to presume the housing crisis has past. (As Lord Stanley has already pointed out.) In fact there is evidence that many foreclosed homes are being maintained by banks, kept hidden from the market, simply so the banks don't have to write down their true value. Many banks are already insolvent based on home loans...commercial loans will worsen the situation.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2010/0...-away.html
02-11-2010 04:37 PM
Advertisement

STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Uh, banks have been dealing with commercial real estate trouble for some timé now.
02-11-2010 08:31 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-11-2010 08:31 PM)STLouis Blazer Wrote:  Uh, banks have been dealing with commercial real estate trouble for some timé now.

By "dealing with" do you mean, "hiding the declining asset values in a fraudulent manner?"
02-12-2010 08:32 AM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I thought it was taxes and regulation that was doing them in.
02-12-2010 09:31 AM
STLouis Blazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
CrappiesBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
The last time I checked banks have been building up their reserves and have takens billions in credit losses on CRE.

Check your facts before you spout off some liberal rhetoric, Dr. Torch.

It would also help you to learn about MTM accounting and how relevant and observable inputs play a factor.
02-12-2010 02:12 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(02-12-2010 02:12 PM)STLouis Blazer Wrote:  The last time I checked banks have been building up their reserves and have takens billions in credit losses on CRE.

Check your facts before you spout off some liberal rhetoric, Dr. Torch.

It would also help you to learn about MTM accounting and how relevant and observable inputs play a factor.

I assume you mean "libertarian".

And I assume you mean this guy is just making stuff up

http://market-ticker.org/archives/1958-W.........html

http://market-ticker.org/archives/1939-M...nting.html
02-12-2010 03:06 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I heard an interesting analysis at lunch. I'm not at liberty to identify the source, but let's just say that Geithner and Paulson return his phone calls. This source says that the second-tier banks (below the top 19) have way too many eggs in the commercial real estate basket. Absent changes which he does not see forthcoming, he expects 400-700 bank failures in the next 18 months. For perspective, we've had 183 since 2007.
02-12-2010 03:38 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-12-2010 03:38 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I heard an interesting analysis at lunch. I'm not at liberty to identify the source, but let's just say that Geithner and Paulson return his phone calls. This source says that the second-tier banks (below the top 19) have way too many eggs in the commercial real estate basket. Absent changes which he does not see forthcoming, he expects 400-700 bank failures in the next 18 months. For perspective, we've had 183 since 2007.

Do us a favor and let us know when you decide to relocate abroad.
02-12-2010 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.